Greetings all

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Dangerous Dave
      Participant

hello to anyone that still visits here!

yeah I realise I missed the big “BOOM” in micro RC… even if I did pay 50 odd bucks for one of the original Tomy BCG’s many years ago 😮

anyway, interested in the hotter motors (3.0, 3.4) and am wondering what remains as far as runtime is concerned, using the original 1/3 AAA NiCd?

Also, does a dual cell Nimh conversion with 1/4 AAA’s take up about the same room as the original 1/3 (yeah I realise 1/4 + 1/4 = 1/2, greater than 1/3 but is the 1/4 height about the same as the AAA diameter?).

I’m going to try a few small mods of my own, like inserting an iron core in the steering coils for improved magnetism, and I also have been vac forming 1/64 (‘HO’) scale slot car bodies for a few years now, so lightweight BCG bodies would be just as easy :smiley8:

have already put new front springs in my ZZMT and it too will receive some go faster bits.

Cheers
      Dave
      Perth.

PS what the hell is Iwaver??!

betty.k
      Participant

g’day brudda, welcome aboard:beer:

first up, what’s that yellow thing on the left of that pic? is it a track driven micro??:smiley3:

batteries and motors are as good as they ever were, my favourite cells are the standard tomy 50mah nicads. if charged properly you should get up to 20 minutes runtime.

the best motors i ever used are the xtrek pro motors:
      http://www.ausmicro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10389&highlight=xtrek+motors

problem is no one’s really making this stuff any more except for the ‘merikan zip zaps so it’s hard to find.
      but there’s always ebay, sometimes toyeast (http://www.toyeast.com/index2.asp) or get friendly with a yank!:)

those 1/4aaa cells are still taller than they are fat.
      one exception is the zzse cells. they are 2 x 1/4aaa cells packaged together. they are by far the stubbiest cells i’ve seen. you can get them in the current range of “cars” zz’s. the “cars” zz’s are not zzse’s but a redesigned (non propo) chassis sporting the fabled zzse 2.4v cells!:topstuff:

looking forward to seeing some of your projects:smiley2:

p.s. iwaver is a company that makes rc’s, started out making cheap copies of mini z’s.

have a scooch through our forums, you’ll find all the answers you need. :8ball:

Ogier
      Participant

The fluoro yellow buggy with tank tracks is actually a slot car – Tomy AFX and another brand that I can’t remember right now have HO or 1/64 scale slot cars and the tracked car is from the other brand. They’re good fun to play with, on track handling is a little unusual but works well being a little slippery 🙂

Welcome, Dave.
      I can’t help with ZZ, BCG etc, most of that went over my head, but I could have told you that iWaver made a clone of the first and second Mini-Z, I think legal trouble resulted in the 2nd one being called a Firelap 2.0. They’re just releasing the 3rd version which might be something new, I’m waiting to hear news about them.

I just picked up a 1st gen iWaver and it’s a good entry point into small electric RC. So far it’s pretty strong and it’s quick enough to give my cat a whooping down the hallway, just doesn’t have enough traction on the polished floor boards!

Ciao & enjoy the cars.
      Graham.

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

thanks guys!!

the “yellow thing” is a Tyco Fast Traxx slot car, and yeah it handles like sh*te but that aint the point! I also have 1/64 slot versions of the old “Jet Hopper” rc cars from my earlier youth…

I see these guys

http://www.batterieswholesale.com/products_batteries/nimh/nickel-metal-hydride-14-aaa-150-h.htm

have the 1/4 cells reasonably cheap….

I have some micro tanks on their way, should arrive soon. I gotta say that my permanent slot car layout is the BEST place to run a micro MT or tank!! Several hills, some road and a heap of cars to run over :smiley15:

I know some of you hate slot cars, but check this site out, it’s my fav one:

http://home.rochester.rr.com/homtpa/ho_pg1.htm

and make sure to visit the Show Time page (involves the odd rocket motor 😀 )

l8er

Dave

kevsta
      Participant

I don’t hate slot cars at all. I have the afx bathurst set that I bring out every now and then for some good fun racing…

But a mini-z track takes slot car racing to another level…
      😀

Ogier
      Participant

Slot cars are cool – I prefer the older afx stuff when they had less magnets – much more fun. A friend and I actually had a good all round collection of AFX / Tyco slots (Tyco was the name I couldn’t remember). I must get in touch with him as he was making up a permanent track – if he does 4 lanes then I can chase his slot car with my iWaver 🙂

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

you’ll never catch a slot car with an RC.. what they lack in “free range” they make up TENFOLD in speed – some of my faster cars run at 22 volts and can suck an amp or 2!!!! just gets hard to see them :O

here’s the mod I guess everyone makes – changing wheels. Definately NOT a performance mod though, unless I go back to the rubber tyres. Seemed a shame to hack out the front wheel arches on a nice clean R34 :(, guess I shoulda found smaller wheels. The uprights also suffered when trying to remove those front axles.

Am waiting on an Xtrek 3.4 to show up in the mail :smiley15: and am thinking dual 1/4 cells.. or a lipo

TallduDe
      Participant

good work man.

i got into 1:64th coz i wanted a car that was as small as a slot car but i didnt like the whole track thing, then i ended up making a track for my 1:64th that looks like a slot track! go figure.

but that link you had above with the monster zips was cool would they fit on a zzmt?

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

the collection is growing….

the IR tanks are a heap of fun.

new additions are the Wild Char G Claw truck, a ZZSE Mustang (ugly, but FUN!) and an X Trek 3.4 for the Skyline.

I may just have to make a track to race on now.. could sit it on top of the slot car track.

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

can gladly say I’ve joined the FETed club..

well worth the effort, can’t believe the amount of go this thing now has. Had to reglue my rear wheels as the axle torqued loose :smiley5:

next up is my ZZMT (once I find a site that tells me how.. there’s a lot of transistors on the PCB..).

On another note, the 1/4 AAA cells from batterieswholesale.com are really 1/3 AAA, despite the manufacturer printing 1/4 on each cell. I’m trying to source some true 1/4 AAAs thru GP batteries. Do you guys know of any sources?

cheers
      Dave

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

can gladly say I’ve joined the FETed club..

well worth the effort, can’t believe the amount of go this thing now has. Had to reglue my rear wheels as the axle torqued loose :smiley5:

next up is my ZZMT (once I find a site that tells me how.. there’s a lot of transistors on the PCB..).

On another note, the 1/4 AAA cells from batterieswholesale.com are really 1/3 AAA, despite the manufacturer printing 1/4 on each cell. I’m trying to source some true 1/4 AAAs thru GP batteries. Do you guys know of any sources?

cheers
      Dave

betty.k
      Participant

codesuidae has done an excellent zzmt fet mod tute:
      http://members.cox.net/codesuidae/FetModMT.html

for true 1/4 aaa’s contact a member called “namuna”. he’s a member here but rarely here. he’s more frequent at bitpimps and tinyrc, if you have trouble getting in touch with him lemme know.
      he just got a whole lot of 1/4 aaa’s, prices are reasonable:topstuff: :8ball:

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

heya bk

do you still have contacts to get 1/4 AAA cells?

think it’s the last thing my BCG needs – duals. Oh, and maybe stacking my spare FETS… does this make a noticeable difference?

While I’m here, I’m getting in two ZZMT motor upgrade kits (3 motors, 3 gearsets each) if anyone needs one. Will use one, the other will be spare if a mate declines it.

Also been trying to find miniature Li po cells, but no luck yet. Have seen some 20x25x4mm cells, but do they come any smaller?

Cheers

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

new additions for the fleet

2608295168.jpg

These things are a heap of fun, I spend most time trying precision tralier reversing 🙂

Also factory dual cell – I got 4 of them so I can get “creative” with spare parts ahahahaha

DarkTari
      Participant

Yeah they are! I got a couple myself……
      Real nice to Pimp-Out :smiley16:

ChopShop%20Trans2.jpg

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

you BASTARD :p

I thought I mighta been able to beat you guys to it!

Guess I shoulda known better.

Nice work

z-beam
      Participant

sorry dave i havent tried to get any bcg batteries for years. i suppose i should resurect the collection though and at least get new batteries for them. its been so long since i looked at the guts of one heh.

betty or ph2t had a zz monter that used an i waver board inside it. the proportional controls made it 2x the original. only saw it once on a visit to victoria.

what are the IR tanks you have pictured above?

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

thanks z, I got it all sorted out with some contacts through betty :beer:

here’s a link to a very short vid of it..

Click here to watch Bit-Char-G-with-Xtrek-34-FETs-and-dual-cells–

diehard
      Participant

@Dangerous Dave 225118 wrote:

thanks z, I got it all sorted out with some contacts through betty :beer:

here’s a link to a very short vid of it..

Click here to watch Bit-Char-G-with-Xtrek-34-FETs-and-dual-cells–

damn dave is that little beast yours it lunched a cross the table :smiley14:

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

certainly is 🙂

it did have matching front wheels but they were a little stiff on the axles.

Admin
      Participant

Hi, This post of mine is very knowledgable and may enhance the information of the viewers , however I would like some specific information for myself. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.