GURU PRABBIT about DUAL MOTORS

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

I don’t have a bit char g yet, but waiting patiently for it to come in the mail. I know you toyed withmaking yourcar dual motor, but Isn’t there any way to make a bit char dual motor by fitting another gear on the right side? some how making it like a digi Q, but with front wheel steering. Cause I took my digi Q apart today, and I was amazed on how the gears were fitted on, they’re just sitting there pretty much with a pin in the middle.so easilly put together, and the whole thing relies on play, without playnothing would move,it would be coolif theyused bearings, it would make the car a lot more controllable and better made.

So yeah my question is, can’t you fit a motor on the other side of the car, even if it means cutting the rear axel into two?

Admin
      Participant

Bearings would be nice only they add a lot of friction. I doupt they would be half as fast with bearings.

If I made it like the digi where there was no solid axle and put a motor on each wheel then it would have steering problems. The digi slows one motor down when you use the steering trim to take care of that problem. If one sides gear was a little dirty or if one motor was just a little faster (as we all know the consistency of motors sucks) then it would pull one way and there’s nothing I could do about it.

A motor facing the othe way on a ger on the other side would not pose a steering problem if there was a solid axle so the rear tires would have to spin the same speed but then one motor would be spinning backward and the other forward. Not a problem for Digi, again, but will be for bit. Here’s why. Take your digi and remove the rear axle and gear. Now listen carefully while giving forward throttle, then change to backward. Sounds like different tones hu? Probably because of the brush alignment. For whatever reason, they run differently forward then backward. That, to me means that one motor will be pulling the other along. That’s why I’m going to make the motors both turning the same way and turning the same gear.

Again, this is just my theory.

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

Also it’s probably just easier to use one gear set (no need to add pins for gearing on the other side).

Admin
      Participant

True … True. And the easier the better!

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

two motors with one controlling each wheel would have to be monitored and adjusted due to the motors never being the same. the digiQ controls the speed of each motor which controls the speed of each wheel. if one motor spun faster due to better efficiency, the car would then turn to the other side of that wheel by itself. now if you connected them both to the same gear on one axle, that, would work to give you more torque and possibly more rpm, unless it takes too much juice from the battery. peace b

Admin
      Participant

Yes, that’s my only fear. Those transistors on the PC board look pretty small. I hope I don’t fry one using 2 motors. But like I said, there’s only one way to find out! Do the mod and cross my fingers.

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

OMG. i just had a messed up idea. what about ripping out a circuit board from another car and adding it to the car, use only 1 battery, but as long as the board has the same freqs, you could use it to run the second motor. oooooooohhhhhh. helicopter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! airplane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i actually have extra parts!!!!!!!! ok bye. b

Admin
      Participant

OHhh Yeahhh. Great Idea!You could use a board out of a bullet. Only cost $11

I think if I burn the transistor out from too much current I’ll replace the transistor with a bigger one. They’re only .99 cents for6 of them.

I’ve seen some pretty small helicopters.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/piccolo.htm

I’d like to see you make a Bit Copter or Bit Plane

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

haha damn thats a sick idea bdrift. You could make a bus or a fat bed truck, SIXTEEN WHEELER!

Admin
      Participant

man, check this out.

http://www.planetinternet.be/pixel/

a 4 oz helicopter. yes, the chick is real. (chick as in chicken, not female 🙁 )

actually a heli is hard if one was to do it correctly. a pseudo one is possible where the rotor does not tilt. maybe one rotor to lift and another on the tail almost parallel to the ground + slightly tilting forward which you would turn on to tilt the copter forward and then the main rotor would pull it forward. unless you use the steering mechanism (bit char) to pull/shift weights/coils closer from front or back to make the copter tilt. of course the hardest part is making the damn rotors that would create enough lift. oh well. we can dream right? b

Admin
      Participant

bit plane….. hard part is creating the flaps to control lift and turning. probably can make on that goes straight though.

i guess it is time to order about 6 bullets for when crazy people (like prabbit) pioneer these things. b

Admin
      Participant

I know I’m crazy but it takes one to know one!

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

For the dual motor idea, I remembered that there is this cool mount that the micro motors snap into inside your typical motorola pager. It is very secure, as it takes a bit of force to pop the motor out. you could probably the mount on top of the motor cover/heatsink, then just snap in/out the 2nd motor. Just a thought…

deejay40

Admin
      Participant

cool. i got 3 extra old style motorola pagers from work.

hey prabbit, how does this sound. use a digi q for a forward/back/up/down moving helicopter.

the digi controls 2 motors seperately. both spin at the same rate when the controller wheel is not turned. this could control the up/down movement.

if you connect theleft side motor to the front andright side motor to the rear, then when you give throttle, the heli will lift evenly, but when you add in turning the wheel to the left/back, the heli’s rear will get higher than the front(or the front will drop lower than the rear), gotta see exactly how this works. so when i turn the wheel to the right/front, the heli’s front will effectively get higher because the left/rear motor wil be spinning faster than the right/rear motor.

this is all on a 2 evenly sized top rotor heli like the military transport ones.

tell me if this is worth trashing my digi-q for if no one buys it. b

Admin
      Participant

wouldn’t this also work on a 2 prop plane? okay. i guess i am taking the digi-q off the for sale page.

b (a.k.a. future digi-q murderer)

Admin
      Participant

Ideas should never be trashed, just revised sometimes.

2 rotor heli sounds great. The rotors will have to be turning opposite directions to keep the heli from spinning around in flight (same reason for having thetail rotoraimed sidewayson a single rotor plane)which is perfect since the motors in the digi spin oposite directions for left and right. And your right again, it will tilt forward and backward with left and right movement of the steering. I have a feeling it will spin (turn)one direction when going forward and another direction when backward since the opposite spinnig rotors won’t exactly counteract eachothers torque. Just like changing the pitch on the tail rotor of a single blade heli.

Sounds like good idea, I think the next challange will be making it light enough to get off the ground with such little horse power.

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

cool. well, i guess it is toys r us time for some donor toy bodies. the 1.49 section should have cool bodies. b

question, in the 2 prop plane, do the props spin in the same direction? it would be as simple as switching the wires contacting the motor? b

Admin
      Participant

The plane dosn’t matter if same or opposite direction although I’ve never seen them spinn opposite probably because the propellers are all same direction. It will probably be easier for you to resolder 2 connections then find different direction props.

-Peter

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.