Hardest color paint to work with

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Impreza
      Participant

Ok this may be a bit lame but I have a theory on this and just want to see if it is right or not? What is the hardest color paint to work with when painting a car/model etc… either by hand or airbrush/spray? Paint type/brand is not important here.

Impreza
      Participant

The poll doesn’t take into account primer vs. no primer, gloss vs. flat, or Enamel vs. Acryl (etc.) I just am looking for overall satisfaction with the finished work. I remember seeing someone here (sorry can’t remember who) post that silver, for example, is a very forgiving paint to work with. I would agree with this statement btw:)

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      …What is the hardest color paint to work with when painting a car/model etc…

CHROME!!!

:smiley16::smiley16:

twizm
      Participant

anything transparent or semi transparent

eg. tamiyas clear red and orange colors.

hard to get an even finish

Impreza
      Participant

Knew you would wade into this one Panda;) Forgot about that one. Haven’t work with chrome paint, yet.

barto_85
      Participant

i said pink, had some trouble with pink paint on my most recent job

betty.k
      Participant

i think those of us that have tried it will agree – cheap paint!:sad::8ball:

brendan
      Participant

yeah any of the cheap 2 doller stuff from super cheap aint no good the ony good one i found was black.

Admin
      Participant

they work a treat for me, i was doubtful at first about using the cheap paints too but i tried the silver one out for my r32 shell (members gallery) and its great, been buying them ever since. the only thing that i can find bad about them is that they dont have many metalic colours, silver gold and chrome. i use car touch up paints if i want metalic colours which are also good but more expensive. i find that the touch up paints are alot thicker and i need to shake the can heaps and soak it in warmish water before spraying. the $2 paints are alot easier for me.

Impreza
      Participant

I have been having a bit of trouble with yellow myself:( I have tried both enamel and acryl and done two bits now, one primed and one not, and have found that it just doesn’t spray on right:( Haven’t switched paint companys yet, may be the problem, but I was wondering if it was one of a few tricky colors since seeing some of the the yellow microsizers, as well as some clones painted yellow, sometimes don’t seem to the best paintjobs? imo. Don’t have any yellow lambos, but do have a yellow bug and the paintjob on it looks good?

Just a side, most darker colors and white (for me) as well as silver seem to be the easiest to work with. barto, will have to take your word for it on the pink;) as I have yet to use it but threw that one in there as a choice for you seeing your latest creation:)

betty.k
      Participant

i used a white undercoat and used tamiya yellow and clear coat and the results were great. i’ve always had success with tamiya paints, and i like the colour range. maybe this helps prez?:8ball:

Impreza
      Participant

Will give it a shot on my next go round. Was able for the most part to salvage both paint jobs. Haven’t tried the tamiya paints, have tried most of their other product thou:) but yet to try the paints, thanks betty. I do think that yellow, as with a few other colors can be a trickier color to work with? May just be me?

HACHI-RYOKU
      Participant

Nail polish. Sounds crazy, but I’m experementing for window tinting. Some of them suck hard.

z-beam
      Participant

tamiya clear pink does give me a few probs as well. i.e. no gloss.

nail polish is way too thick but you can find harlequin paint (colour shift) in nail polish for under $20. thinners????? might work, or paint the inside of the shell hachi. make shore you overcoat the the paint inside with black.

z-beam
      Participant

personally tho i find white the absolute hardest to touch up. ever tried to colour match a paint pot with a scratched tomy shell???

that compact skyline of mine was a complete bit-ch in the end.

if your shell is scratched, paint a bit of silver on the inside of the shell and outside where the scratch is, bits should be proud of their scars….:smiley2:

twizm
      Participant

my tomy r32 pullback has mismatched panel colors, and thats how i bought it!

makes me unhappy much to the max.

leonli17
      Participant

i bought those $3 spary paint from Reject shop before…and they are really bad quality. They never dry properly and after a few days, they got dust stuck on them. And they are so easy to scrach off.

Any one can suggest me a good spray paint that’s hard to scracth off? Please state the Brand of the paint.
      And is there any paint for chrome wheels that come out just like the stock BCG wheels?

z-beam
      Participant

leonli i think the wheels are electro plated, and that shin just dont come out ofa can , man.

the best paints for bits i reckon are tamiya sprays, little cans for little cars…

check out the post called “painting” for more info.

leonli17
      Participant

Any normal paints(not spary) that can look close to the wheels?

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.