hawaiian xmod, oh joy……

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Geo-Z
      Participant

Hey guys, i m back from hawaii where my sister just got married to some sleaze….yeah well at least i scored an xmod there, radioshacks are everywhere, mahalo!

neway, i spent amost 2 hours putting the bearings in and upgraded the suspension, tierods and etc….then the steering locks up. wierd.

I disassembled the servo case and inspected: so far so good. then i put it back again…..now the steering s biased to the right. way too much. And the turning radius is gigantic – i hadn t even installed the awd yet! I m spoiled by the mini-z and it s smooth turns…

Looked at the posts in xmodworld and tinyrc.com…..those american xmodders had some sort of inline resister trick/centering pot fix that requires soldering an obscenely small pair of components to the pcb. my hands are way too shaky for that!

I knew the xmod wasn t as fast or good at turns than a mini-z; i had no idea u had to do all this gut-fiddling just to have it right . Which is a pity, this little thing would ve kicked serious ass had the servo + transmitter been better.

hmm…..i think i m the 4th (?) sydneysider to purchase an xmod. dgs, u sold urs, right?

dgs73
      Participant

nup… still got it, mate… it’s a dust catcher though… have’nt used it in months

merc-blue
      Participant

a good xmod will kick a mini-z ass.. just tap him he will break a knuckle or a servo gear and u can keep going

dgs73
      Participant

that we in Sydney have yet to see…

TallduDe
      Participant

man i dunno how you guys break so much shit!

i slamed my turbo car into a netball pole at near mach speed and nothing happened. plus no one broke anything except a side mirror!

also the cars where all going 50k’s plus!!!!!

still wouldnt mind a 4wd mini z

dgs73
      Participant

even my traction rolls only spintered an o-plate!!

z-beam
      Participant

aye a 4wd mini-z would be great!

they are tough those x-mods, but the two ive raced with (betty.k’s) were not stock at all. ask him how much has really been done to it to get it to run well…

as for a z, even though they come from japan the parts and produce are easily available here. cant say the same for x-mods even though our two countries have no language barrier and all those trade agreements and strong political ties.

when i broke that plastic front knukle when betty “tapped” my car from behind i was stationary at the finish line waiting for the x-mod to come around for another lap. that straight is huge and downhill slightly and the x-mod was at full speed.

sure the knukle cracked but did it stop it from running? nope! a body clip snapped off, but did that stop it? nope (with a little super glue :smiley2:)…

ive ran my z into so many objects, i have let a 3 year old drive them into walls at full speed. my sister (20 y.o) ran one into a rocking chair even. scratches , sure! but brakages, very little to none…

now either ive been lucky or others have had a hard time…

but even saying all this i would love to own an x-mod that performs as well as betty’s did that day… i reckon they should sell em like that and then there would be two mini scale racing platforms out there…

ken_wyleung
      Participant

I have one question, which is what the difference between the R/C Hobby and R/C toy?
      :smiley2:

betty.k
      Participant

anything less than 8 cells in the tx = toy!:D:8ball:

ken_wyleung
      Participant
      Quote:
      anything less than 8 cells in the tx = toy!:D:8ball:

It is a very good and true answer!:D
      But I was try to say, it is very hard or can not get the repair parts for X-Mods.
      Because I bought one X-Mods:dead:

merc-blue
      Participant

nah betty u got it all wrong.. any thing with a less tah 8 cells and u cant adjust the speed curves of the servo and servo return speed is a TOY.. lol my new radio has over 100 pages worth of manual

Geo-Z
      Participant

I am in the process of finding the larger resistors for the ‘tite turn’ mod (the type u solder onto the pot’s 2 wires)…. i hope this improves the steering radius. Oh yeah, just tried the centering pot fix, that helped a bit….turn radius is still quite large…..

Neway…..any miniature car that runs via transmitter is always a ‘toy’ to the untutored eye of the ignorant layman (i:e girls in general and my family ;)) lol they still think my mini-z is a kmart cheapo.

betty.k
      Participant
      Quote:
      Neway…..any miniature car that runs via transmitter is always a ‘toy’ to the untutored eye of the ignorant layman (i:e girls in general and my family ;)) lol they still think my mini-z is a kmart cheapo.

aww hell, when you get down to it anything us blokes buy to amuse ourselves is a toy! if i went out and bought a million dollar yacht it would be a toy. a big bloody expensive toy at that!:D:8ball:

Geo-Z
      Participant

True. But me oldies actually think my mini-z is worth less than twenty bucks. A grown man like me spending hours on a kmart cheapo that can reach speeds of 50kmph? To them, it is still a slightly evolved pullback car. My sis thinks her digital alarm clock has more complex electronics.

Then again, i’m dealing with ppl who didn’t know where the ‘on’ switch was on my pc.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.