Cavo
      Participant

Here’s a set of pic instructions for making small canopies 4 planes etc

Cavo
      Participant

next set of pics !!!

Cavo
      Participant

Final set of pics.any problems etc let me know.I find packaging plastic handy 4 canopies,not too thin,not too thick,just right !!!!

klims
      Participant

thats more like it. thanks cavo!

do you coat the balsa in anything? i’ve tried something similar in the past and had trouble with balsa fibers getting stuck to the plastic and making it look crap.

thanks,
      Andrew.

Cavo
      Participant

Sounds like you got the plastic too hot if balsa stuck.Use hard balsa for the plug mold and final sand with 400-600 grit paper(baby bottom smooth)and wipe with dry cloth.Take your time when heating and pushing the plug into the plastic NOT TOO HOT and you should be right.

Kerosene
      Participant

Nice one Cavo. I’ve seen a few DIY vacuum formers at instructables.com that I’ve wanted to try out. But your method looks far more appropriate for those of us who have a 10 min attention span 🙂

Cavo
      Participant

Quicker and easier the better I say.All my planes are built with a burst of “OH YEAH” I can biuld that,followed by I can’t be bothered anymore ! Then a test flight of joy or despair !As long as you have a good clear plastic,it should only take 20 mins before you discover you can have all the canopies you want for nix !!! It’s easy,,I thought it was hard until I actually had a go !!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.