How do you use a Dremel?

Home Forums General Chat How do you use a Dremel?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      TallduDe
      Participant

well as the title suggest how do you use one correctly.

i want to use it for Bit bodies so what attachment do i use and at what setting. the Dremel i am using has speeds from 10,000rpm right up to 37,000rpm. so i am not to sure which setting is or what attachment is correct.

does anyone have any experience using one, i would really liked to hear from any of you guys who have used one plz!

cheers

Impreza
      Participant

congrats, I didn’t have a clue when I first got it. But went to http://www.dremel.com and searched for projects that were simular to stuff I wanted to do on a bit and just went trial and error. For a lot of the sanding work (body modification stuff) I tried to hone my skills on a block of wood first, just to get used to the bit I was using on the dremel. Really I have only used #420 to cut bodies, #408, #432, #431 and #438 to do rough and fine sanding/shaping (usually on the plastic/epoxy/putty bodies). And haven’t yet but will probably try #108 for engraving? There is loads more I could be doing I know but like you am just not sure where to start. Most if not all the recomended speeds for each of the accessory attachments given above suggest a speed for work on different media. I usually follow the one given for plastic first and adjust accordingly.

I have since started non-bit related projects with the dremel:) as it really is a cool little tool.

Look at my members gallery. The focus I did the majority of the sanding using a #408 drum, then went in and handsanded to smooth the edges (really saved about 2 hours of handsanding time). More bodies coming very soon. Will post in members gallery when I have pics. All will have had the dremel used on them, except the straight paint jobs.

TallduDe
      Participant

cool thanks for the info Impreza!

i was wondering have you ever used a dremel to cut into the body of a bit, say to make it into a targa bit or convertable?

this is what i am really intrested in doing. would be really cool.

ph2t
      Participant

man the dremel works well for this. What I use is the grinding bits ( the metal engraver like heads) to cut throug the plasitc. I also use this bit for increasing the size of the wheel wells. I then use a file to flatten out the edge if I’m going for a stright edge.

ph2t.

Impreza
      Participant

I would probably use a vice or something else to hold the bit in place when you cut it. Then you can just worry about the dremel and not the bit. How small engravers ph2t? Want try and use these for details but not sure if I can’t do better job with file?

ph2t
      Participant

I’ll take some photos of the heads I use and post. It’s just easier this way :).

Also man, don’t put the shell in a vice, it would prolly crack. When using the dremel just make sure that both hands are resting on a bench and make sure you wear goggles! I can’t stress this enough! The amount of plastic that flys around is insane!

ph2t.

Impreza
      Participant

sry should have said make sure car is secure when cutting, but not crushed:) Ditto on the glasses. The mod may look better if you can’t see it but life will kindof suck.

TallduDe
      Participant

okay i got some glasses ready to start cutting!

which cutting bit is the best to use on a sheell?

Impreza
      Participant

really depends on what you want to do. check out the dremel site to get an idea of what all the accessories do. Then practice on something less valuable to see how the bit acts when you use it (speed etc). Then you are off to the races. Someone told me when I started to us the dremel to let the dremel do the work and don’t force it.

btw I used the disk (#420 to cut a bit in half-may be too big for what you want to do?)

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.