HOW fast do mini Z’s go?

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      PandaBear
      Participant

The motors in the MiniZ are Mabuchi “130” size. They are same dimensions as the ones used in Tamiya Mini4WD.

Yeah, I know what you’re thinking, but be careful. Some of the Mini4WD motors are superhot and can blow your Perfex ESC quite easily… my Tamiya Plasma motor (with removable brushes) was clocked at drawing 4A from 3V; AA batteries don’t have a chance.

Slot cars use a variety of motors depending on your racing class. Most started with a “180” size (like that in the MicroRS4) but there is lots of room in their motor pods to go waaay bigger too.

Admin
      Participant

Cool, i am not sure if i want a 1:18 HPI or a 1:24 Mini z.

Admin
      Participant

“Friends don’t let Friends do Micro RS4s”

I heard that saying on another forum for Mini/Micro R/Cs ages ago and while I can’t say from firsthand experience from what i understand the Micro RS4s are a nightmare unless you’re really into the 1/10 scale workload at a much higher budget…. *shrugs* ofcourse that’s based on other peoples whining not my own!

Admin
      Participant

Well…im now leaning towards mini z, as I am saving for a car, and i’m trying to stick to an anti-spend-too-much budget……but i want to race aginst 1/10 and hpi cars….do i have a hope,or is it a lost cause?

Admin
      Participant

And from what i’ve heard,mini z is pretty low maintainence……

Admin
      Participant

You have a chance but it depends ont he surface you run on. I’ve runt he Z on smooth rolled tarmac and it rocks 😉 use soft suspension to keep it on the ground…

Admin
      Participant

Luvly, but ive gotta find a place where i can get one at a good price :smiley2:

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by jamiekulhanek on 25October2002

i want to race aginst 1/10 and hpi cars….do i have a hope,or is it a lost cause?

Heh heh… you wanna what?? imho :

MiniZ:- no chance whatsoever, even the 20yo Tamtech Tamiyas seriously kick the Zed’s butt. Have played lots of other ppl’s Zeds over last 5 yrs but have no appetite to even buy one yet, too slow & boring… (but I see they’ve got a F40 now, so maybe chalk 1 up for this xmas).

HPI mRS4:- you have 1/2 a chance, if the big car doesn’t know how to drive. Out of box they’re dog slow (but I’m comparing to very high standards – Tamtech) but once you’ve got a good motor and any 7.2V source, you’ll be rocking. Only drawback is that the mRS4 isn’t cheap by this stage; you can probably buy a cheap entrylevel 1/10 for the same ~$400.

Then again, most of the gear (radio & esc) you can recycle later into 1/10 too whereas the Perfex system is useless outside of a MiniZ.

In any case, size is a huge advantage that is hard to overcome.

PandaBear
      Participant

Dunno what the RTR mRS4 sells for locally, but Tower Hobbies sells it for US$199. Not too bad a deal for something fully bearinged, fully assembled and ready-to-run. 4WD also makes it a lot easier to drive – less donuts. They also use AAs for longer/cheaper running; AAA alkalines add up quickly.

And if you’ve still got cash to burn, the hopup potential is higher..!! :smiley2:

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by L337_krew on 06October2002

i heard it goes 60km/h wen u get it out of the packet and u can upgrade it to like 90km is dat true?

Whoa… bad case of “shopkeeper kerfaffle” there. I’d like to see ANY car do 60 out of the box… even most nitro 1/10s barely do that. In a MiniZ… well, are you hoping on getting the car back in 1 piece?

I’ve spent a lot of time hanging around the RC retail trade, and the bull the folks generally feed to kiddies is simply mindboggling. (Heh heh heh… just keep a skeptical “yeah sure” mentality when shopping.) That said, you’ll soon realise most ppl can’t judge speed accurately anyway. Show them anything running over 30and they’ll think its 100+ already… makes retailer’s conjob real easy.

Have even seen 1 shop where they had stickers on the shelves: “top speed > 60kmh”, “80kmh”, “100+kmh”… and no, they won’t demonstrate. :smiley2:

Admin
      Participant

Damn it……i am completely confused as to what i want to get now…..mini z is looking more and more like a kid’s toy everyday. But i dont want to spend too much (saving for a NISSAN 200SX(probably for the rest of my life))

Is there any other good options, like the tamiya tamtech or watever.

PandaBear
      Participant

Tamtech was discontinued 10+ yrs ago now, so its a collectors’ item and current going prices will astound you… :smiley3:spareparts are rarer still.

Heh heh… maybe check the INSURANCE COST of your turbo mobile before dreaming anymore… might scare you off it. Did the job for me…

Admin
      Participant

Yes i’m aware of it….

Admin
      Participant

Yeah, dads thinking about a new Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo…bet the insurance will be big…but it’ll be worth it.

PandaBear
      Participant

No, Barra XR6 Turbo is pretty cheap on the insurance, only about the same as the XR8. Besides he’s (I’m assuming) an older chappy and probably has a rating 1, so it won’t be too bad.

Supercharged Commodore is also about the same as a SS V8 too… I think I’d rather stick with the V8. Either way, the V8s don’t drink much more than a super/turbo’d six. Local cars are also pretty cheap to fix.

Whereas a young guy with a two-door turbo import … you’re gonna get hit bad!! :smiley11:Most of the insurance companies wouldn’t even dare quote me last time I asked.

Admin
      Participant

damn, every dream i have gets shot down in flames…might as well go a morris minor….LOL.

Admin
      Participant

At least r/c cars dont have insurance, but they have frequent repair costs

Admin
      Participant

yeah tell me about it – each of my 1/10th cars needs a cash investment…

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by jamiekulhanek on 05November2002

At least r/c cars dont have insurance, but they have frequent repair costs

Haha, imagine doing the sums for insurance on RC… try premium $5000 pafor a 1/10th and $10,000 pa for a 1/8th, and that’s *with* a no-claims history.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.