how the hell are my 750mah aaa s taking 3500+ ma?

Home Forums Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods and other Mini-Scale Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods – Technical how the hell are my 750mah aaa s taking 3500+ ma?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      betty.k
      Participant

i recently got a fancy swallow charger and i m cycling some aaa nimhs. i ve only done 1 so far (750mah panasonic) discharging at 350ma and charging at 300ma. i m doing 2 cycles and it s taking over 24 hours to complete.

the thing i don t understand is according to the readout i m getting over 3500 ma into it. what s going on with that? i m sure the charger is working correctly. is there some charging theory i m missing?:8ball:

ken_wyleung
      Participant

I think your batteries are gone. I had three sets of Mitsubishi 700 and two sets of Sanyo 800 in same case as yours. And they are band new too. Now, I am using Atomic 800 and they are very good. You can get it form RC-Mart.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Your batteries arent ‘peaking’ properly any more BK, thats the good thing with having a charger like a Swallow, you can see whats going on with them.
      Time to get some newies.

betty.k
      Participant

strange, these are my newest batteries.

so what batteries do people find the most reliable? i would have thought sanyo’s would be good but now i’m confused. and what mah rating seems to be the safest?:8ball:

demonajy
      Participant

Did you get the Swallow Advance Bet.k? I just got one recently and i did some 7.2v nicds yesterday,a couple were about 400ma over and i thought that was odd..lol.
      I cant seem to charge my 800 aaa’s any faster than 100ma otherwise they false peak after a couple of minutes, not sure if my batts have had it or if the chargers at fault. Getting some sanyos tommorow, will see if it works then

micro_Amps
      Participant

Hmmm, sure you arent charging them on a NiCd setting or something like that?
      How much did they discharge before they went onto charge?
      I have seen batteries charge for ages without peaking, but they were charging at 5% of 1C which was too low to get a decent peak.
      Try seperate discharge and charge cycles and see how they go, or try discharging at max (500mA on a swallow) and charge at 1C but keep an eye on them in case they fail. It should take about 2.5 to 3 hours all up.
      I have been using some AA and AAA Powertechs (from Jaycar)in my RC stuff and digicam for about a year now and I am still getting 95 to 110% of original capacity, and they get cycled with swallow charger every charge.
      Keep trying your cells and let us know how they go.

betty.k
      Participant

definately had it on nimh, didn’t wanna get caught out with that one!:D
      i tried another, i got 6335ma into it! and that was doing it manually too.
      average discharge was about 500 ma.
      i ended up individually discharging them to .9v and charging at 1c. got 534ma in.
      i have a feeling my previous cheapy charger had alot to do with the state of my batts.:8ball:

merc-blue
      Participant

betty.k if they take 3500+ and arent on fire there stuffed charge them leave them a day then discharge them if u dont get 750ish eg 820-680 outta them u got problems also che the IR of them if u want i can explain the internal resistnace measurement process or just ask ph2t next time u see him

micro_Amps
      Participant

i have a feeling my previous cheapy charger had alot to do with the state of my batts…….

I think you have summed it up right there BK, you didnt mention that you had previously been charging them with a cheapy charger, only that they were your newest
      Grab some new ones and see how they handle.

merc-blue
      Participant

yeah i would go buy some new cells

Admin
      Participant

Has anyone used Grand Cell batts in their mini z. If so are they any better than regular batts??? I Saw an ad on ebay for some Grand Cell batteries that were made in AUS (down unda).The ad claimed thatthese batts are a big hit inAUS (Ilive in USA,DC) and that they have longer run times than regular batts. Just curious if this is for real or just some BS. thanks……………………..jd in dc.

betty.k
      Participant

i m guessing when you say regular batts you mean throwaways like carbon or alkaline yeah?

in that case they’re better because they’re rechargeable (ONLY USE WITH A GRANDCELL CHARGER, the charger is the magic component, not the batts). but alkalines aren’t able to deliver serious current like rechargeables (nicad, nimh, lion, lipo). and proper rechargeables will last longer, run times and cell life.

i totally recomend you just buy nimh batts and a simple charger, don’t waste time or money on carbon or alkalines. they work out about the same as a grandcell setup. look out for those energizers sets. but even crappy nimh’s are better than alkalines.8ball.gif

z-beam
      Participant

yeah i wondered about them… grandcell rechargable alkalines. funny you say they are made here in australia because the ones in the shop here say they are made in canada!

i think i smell a scam?! i thought $5 aud for 4 aa rechargables was a bit weird…

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.