How to disassemble the steering?

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      icebreaka
      Participant

Hey,

Does anyone have instructions on how to dissaemble the front? I’ve already tried but to no success.. and i’ve looked at the pics in TECH and can’t make any sense of them.. I can go further than removing the screw! :S

Help plz 🙂 Cos this morning it started turning right only a quarter of the way.. :S.. Whats the probs?

Thanks

Impreza
      Participant

Could be lots of things:( If you drop the bit the coils will come unglued (you can usually feel it unattached when you lightly tilt the bit from side to side). Other then that it could be anything from the body/shell rubbing a wheel to a wire connection (most likely not this as you should, unless the wire is barely connected, loose steering in that side all together).

It could be dirt or other as well (have you been trying jamie’s rally course?…just a joke).

Is it a bit char-G or a Super bit char-G or a clone?

Edited by – Impreza on 24 October 2003 20:04:20

Edited by – Impreza on 24 October 2003 20:26:22

icebreaka
      Participant

Just a compact char g 🙂 and still only 3 weeks old 🙁

icebreaka
      Participant

btw.. so how do i dissasemble the front ? :S i still cant get it apart :S

Impreza
      Participant

ok if you still want to take apart the front here goes…

first of all be careful and do this at the risk of possible breakage. I am doing it at the same time on a microsizer. Did you tilt the car from side to side to see if you can feel anything loose?

Impreza
      Participant

you have the clear cover off exposing the screw? Be carefull handling the board when getting at the screw as the steering wires (especially) are extremely fine and if you pull one out I hope you have a soldering iron…I just took out the screw…don’t loose it.

icebreaka
      Participant

yeh i get the screw out then what next?

icebreaka
      Participant

cant really feel anything when i tilt side to side..

but when i shake it side to side i hear something loose.. i think :

Edited by – icebreaka on 24 October 2003 20:20:59

Impreza
      Participant

Next with the screwdriver (a flat head screwdriver works best for this)that you used to take the screw out pop out the white bit of plastic. It is the front suspension. Be sure to remember its orientation as you want to put it back in the sameway when you are finished.

Next there is a black plastic cover that has two white round bits poking out. The white plastic is attached to the front wheel and is called the knuckle. Here I find at least is where you need a little force (***so be careful***). There are two snaps in front of the left and right front wheels. They are part of the black plastic thing that holds the white knuckles(and wheels) in place. You are best off using a flat head (small sized) screwdriver here. Slide the flat screw driver under either one of these side flaps/tabs going from the bottom and push up lightly, twisting the screwdiver as you go. This should pop up that side of the black plastic cover. Do the same for the other side and then slide the black cover forward. At this point you may loose a wheel or two. That is ok, the thing you do not want to loose here is a very fine springy coil that holds a magnet in the centre of your two outside cooper coils.

At this point you should be able to see if your coils (left or right) is unglued.

Impreza
      Participant

I have just used model glue in the past as it seems to hold the coils back in place. There is a centre black plastic piece that holds the magnet and the steering spring, be carefull no to dislodge this spring as it will fly across the room and will be lost. You should not have to do anything with this piece unless the magnet itself is loose, so put it aside carefully.

Remember if you can the orientation of the wheels, as it is a bit of a puzzle to put this back together, but not impossible by any means.

Was a coil loose???

icebreaka
      Participant

hmm snaps out.. but it won’t slide forwarD??? :S

icebreaka
      Participant

the cover looks like its part of the chassis :S doesn’t look like it is detachable.. :S :S

Impreza
      Participant

Again I am doing this on a micorsizer, but it should be the same. lightly push up so the front tabs are free of the main black chassis, then wiggle it out forward. Should come out if the screw is out.

icebreaka
      Participant

nah its not coming out.. it doesnt look detachable??? just a part of the chassis 😐 😐 am i seeing things or what? :S series 2 CCG btw :S

Impreza
      Participant

it lifts up but doesn’t come out? you should be able to see where it is still holding on in the car since you should have a very clear look at it at this point.

Edited by – Impreza on 24 October 2003 20:46:30

icebreaka
      Participant

yep it lifts up but its holding back at the start of the chassis part which holds the pcb..

Impreza
      Participant

this is the pic that I pulled from the tech section. I don’t know if this helps visualize things?

http://www.ausmicro.com/tech/bitcharg/front-end-disassembly-how-to/DSCN2425.jpg

The top black plastic cover should just pull off once the screw at the back is removed and the front two tabs (not clear here) are lifted

Impreza
      Participant
      icebreaka
      Participant

ok i figured it out.. the cover is being held down because of the glue that held the pcb cover down.. 😐

Impreza
      Participant

ok I was starting to wonder what I missed:)

careful with the board.

Edited by – Impreza on 24 October 2003 20:58:41

Impreza
      Participant

Icebreaka, I have to hit the hay, it is very early in the morning here. Pls pm me if you are still having troubles? Here is a link to the tech section that you first tried to follow. It should at the least help you to put the front end back together. Again, please pm me or post here if you are stuck in any way whatsoever. I can post pics in my members gallery on how to put it all back together tomorrow if you need me to. Hope this helped???? Let me know.

good night, and good luck.

http://www.ausmicro.com/tech/bitcharg/front-end-disassembly-how-to/index.asp

One more thing, when you replace the part with the steering spring and the magnet make sure that the steering spring ends go on either side of the white or black post sticking up by itself (as shown in the tech section).

Edited by – Impreza on 24 October 2003 21:33:24

icebreaka
      Participant

yep.. kewls.. THANKS a bunCh 😀 cleared a lot of stuff i was unsure off 😀 .. i think i have to just get a new chassis rather than go to all this trouble 🙂

Impreza
      Participant

was it an unglued coil?

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.