How to run in new electric motor??

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      diehard
      Participant

hey ppl?
      i know the importance of running in motors as i got a gas powered R/C in my garage that runs like a dream..and i’ve helped build two 11 second 351 engines …but as for electric motors………..i never ran one in, and i’ve had countless amounts of electric R/C’s in my younger days. (im pushing 30 this year.lol)

So what’s the best way?? and for how long.
      thanks ppl.
      diehard

betty.k
      Participant

generally speaking, you want to break in a motor at around half it’s intended voltage.

eg: in a 4 cell mini z you will use 2 cells for break in.

also during break in you should run the motor with no load and wired directly to the cells, don’t break a motor in by running it installed at low throttle on a stand.

the desired result of a break in is to have the brushes making full contact with the commutator. so how long you do it for depends on how long that process takes.
      in a 130 sized z motor that could take up to an hour with new brushes but something like 15 – 30 mins should be enough.

put some oil on the bushings too.

there’s another method known as “water dipping” which is the same as above only you immerse the motor completely in demineralised/distilled water. it supposedly does a better job and is much faster but it involves thoroughly drying your motor afterwards.
      (pure h20 does not conduct electricity, the stuff dissolved in it is what conducts;) ) :8ball:

peteWah
      Participant

@betty.k 225459 wrote:

eg: in a 4 cell mini z you will use 2 cells for break in.

also during break in you should run the motor with no load and wired directly to the cells, don’t break a motor in by running it installed at low throttle on a stand.

the desired result of a break in is to have the brushes making full contact with the commutator. so how long you do it for depends on how long that process takes.
      in a 130 sized z motor that could take up to an hour with new brushes but something like 15 – 30 mins should be enough.

put some oil on the bushings too.

:8ball:

hey there.

Get a battery craddle for 2 aaa, connect a red and black wire to it if it has not got them already, wack on a terminal block to the wires solder and heat shrink over, connect your motor to it and your of…

Do as betty has said to in the first option…

Hope this helps.:beer:

diehard
      Participant

thanks for that guys might do it tonight
      diehard

leonli17
      Participant

make sure when u run in the motor, get the polarity right so that the motor spins in the same direction as how it usually would in the car. So for a MR01/02, that would be anti-clockwise lookin at the shaft end.

diehard
      Participant

@leonli17 225478 wrote:

make sure when u run in the motor, get the polarity right so that the motor spins in the same direction as how it usually would in the car. So for a MR01/02, that would be anti-clockwise lookin at the shaft end.

thanks for the tip :smiley14:

peteWah
      Participant

Forgot that 1.

diehard
      Participant

Well i done it, just like you guys said with 2 AA batteries etc etc. i only just put the motor back in the car and i have not had time to give it a drive yet, so may be this w/e i will give it a bit of a drive. more like trashing.lol
      thanks heaps
      diehard 🙂

cagefreak
      Participant

i actually swear by “soaking”. My method has accouple of things that are different. I actually throw an ice cube in with the water for keeping the magnets super cool. Also I place an old pinion on the motor so that the water is actually moving to help pull away the debris from the brushes and commutator. Finally, I pull the whole thing out and spray it down with electric motor cleaner. It helps make the water evaporate out of the motor.

klims
      Participant

do any of you guys add com drops while running in?

cagefreak
      Participant

@klims 225555 wrote:

do any of you guys add com drops while running in?

during break in? no

but after it’s all cleaned up i put accouple in there for its debut run.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.