how to setup a brushless?

Home Forums Floating & Flying – Discussion how to setup a brushless?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      klims
      Participant

Hi guys,

a couple of days ago my brushless speed controller and brushless motor arrived in the mail. since then i have not been able to work out how to hook the puppy up.

the only rc item i have that has a servo lead setup thing that the speed controller plugs into is my nanodragon2 which runs an external servo. so i plug the speed controller into this and wire up the motor and it doesn’t spin. it just makes a whining noise and i can see/feel the motor pulsate.

i have tried all the configurations of the leads to the motor and still nothing. is it possible i got a dud ESC? i was also wondering if the signal to run a servo is different to that of a speed controller.

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks,
      Andrew.

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

the ESC should run from a standard servo port.

the ESC should also have main battery in (2 wires) and motor out (3 wires) leads.

at a guess you might be trying to run the brushless motor on servo power alone.

just looked at the links – I’ve got the 30A version of that ESC. They work well, don’t be surprised when it starts singing to you!!

klims
      Participant

thanks for the info Dangerous Dave.

so i thought back to my days sitting in a lecture theatre learning about 3 phase motors, which these are and remembered that for it to work there needs to be power delivered to any two motor wires at the correct time.

remembering this i unplugged the motor and shorted the terminals to find out if i’m getting three phases, and i’m not.

the ESC sings at me when i connect say red to black, black to yellow, but not yellow to red. would i be correct in saying that the ESC is stuffed?

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

don’t know..

I’m not a ful bottle on motors either (I’m studying Mechanical Engineering, only did a lightweight course on lecky motors).

Maybe one of the wires is a common ground?

I’m sure one of the gurus who produce those Nelly Spider things can help us both out!

Are you driving everything with enough supply voltage?

klims
      Participant

not sure about the common ground thing.
      i wouldn’t think its very likely since power needs to pass through each phase so the ground should change.

not sure about the supply voltage. its running off 8AA’s so i guess so.
      on the 30A ver. do you need to select the suply voltage somehow?
      did yours come with any type of instructions?????

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.