How to strip down an AWD to clean the steering setup

Home Forums Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods and other Mini-Scale Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods – Technical How to strip down an AWD to clean the steering setup

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      rcs2die4
      Participant

OK, RENTON has ask for some help on how to strip down the MA010 so the steering setup can be cleaned !! as My AWD also needs a clean I thought I’d write up a walk through to help him and others out !!!! This will be a multi post walk through so I can add the amount of pix it will take !!

Here go’s !!!

STEP 1 :
      Remove front tie rod.. see pic called STEP1

STEP 2 :
      look at the pic called STEP2 and remove the 4 screws marked with the red dots, Then remove the front bulk head.. be careful and make sure the little springs don’t run away !!! it should now look like the pic called STEP2A

STEP 3:
      Move all the removed parts aside so you have a clean area to work with !! Now remove both Front Springs, Hub Assembly’s and the Front Diff !! and set them aside.. It will now look like the pic called STEP3

STEP 4 :
      remove the Aeriel and the crystal so there not in your way! Now remove both the screws for the motor wires and remove the motor from the car completely… It should now look like the pic celled STEP4.. Set all these parts aside now also !!

betty.k
      Participant

great work man, worthy of a sticky :topstuff: :8ball:

rcs2die4
      Participant

Step 5 :
      Remove both the screws marked with the red dots in the pic celled STEP5, Then remove the PCB cover and set all this aside ! to remove the PCB cover lift the front where the screws where and push it to wards the rear you may need to use your finger nail to pop the rear clip !! be careful that the PCB is not stuck up in the cover as it sometimes is !!..

Step 6 :
      Now this is where you have to be VERY careful as the wires are very fragile and will brake very easily !! OK, Carefully twist the PCB anti-clockwise 90deg so you can see the two screw heads that are underneath !!! Look at the pic called STEP6 to get a better idea, I’ve marked the screws with red dots !! Also you will need a very fine phillips head driver for these two screws !!

Step 7 :
      Now remove them two screws from Step 5 and flip the PCB up 90deg ! to reveal the Grey and Black wires underneath the Red and Black ones from the PCB. Look at the pic called STEP7 to get a better idea !!

Step 8 :
      now left the Grey and Black wires as per the pic called STEP8 and also remove the screw I’ve marked with the Red dot.

Step 9 :
      Before you remove the servo cover take notice of where the wires come through !!! as you will need to place them there when you put it all back together or it will pinch the wires !!! I attached the pic called STEP9 for reference anyway !!

rcs2die4
      Participant

Step 10 :
      OK now that you know where the wore go, use your finger nail to pop the clip on the side of the car so the servo cover can come off !! see the pic celled STEP10. once you pop the clip it should just fall off and reveal the POT, Servo gears, servo saver and motor !! as per pic STEP10A

Step 11 :
      remover the screw I’ve marked with the Red dot in the pic called STEP11 and then remove the clip under it. you remove it buy gently pushing it to the drivers side of the car !!

Step 12 :
      Now lift the servo saver up and over then sit it on top of the gear like in the pic called STEP12 now remove the little pivot pin from the servo save and place it somewhere safe !!!

Step 13 :
      Turn the car over and gently push down on the rear of the servo motor just 1m or 2 to free it up as per the pic celled STEP13.

rcs2die4
      Participant

Step 14 :
      OK now turn the car back over and grab hold of the servo saver as per the pic celled STEP14 and gently pull straight up. This will lift the whole servo setup out of the chassis .. Be careful as the on/off switch is still mounted in the chassis !!!

Step 15 :
      in the pic called STEP15 you can see the screw that I have marked with the red dot !! this is the screw that holds the on/off switch in !! Undo this screw making sure you have hold carefully of the PCB and servo setup as not to brake any wires !!!.. Once this screw is undone you will be able to remove the little clamp (see pic called STEP15A) that holds the switch.

Step 16 :
      You can then lift the switch out of the chassis and the whole PCB and servo setup will be separate from the rest of the car as per pic STEP16 !!!

Now after all that we can actually start to clean something !!! 😀

Step 17 :
      Start with the chassis !! Clean out the servo and steering compartments look at the pic called STEP17 to see these areas. You may as well clean the diff housing while your at it !!!

rcs2die4
      Participant

Now that you have a clean chassis set it aside and you can start on the servo itself !!

Step 18 :
      start by removing the motor from it’s location by pulling it straight out as per pic STEP18 then remove the plate behind the POT and then the POT as per pic STEP18A. be careful removing the plastic backing plate as the locating pin are fragile !! I broke one of mine on a previous clean up ! you can see this in the pic called STEP18B… it still work perfect as once it installed back in the chassis it all put into location and held tight

Step 19 :
      The pic called STEP19 shows the remainder of the servo and show which plate I call the front and which I call the back !!! Remove the back plate leaving the gears on the pins of the front plate !! see pic called STEP19A

rcs2die4
      Participant

Step 20 :
      Remove the 3 gears from the front half of the servo casing and lay them on the table !! Give all the parts a good clean ! I normally use a old tooth brush to clean the gears, it works well !!. Also check them for any damage !! if all is well you can now reassemble the servo…

The pic called STEP20 shows you all the parts laid out !! I’ve numbered the Gears 1, 2 and 3 and I have also labeled the mounting points on the front half of the case so you can see where they go !! start with the Gear labeled 1. Attach the servo saver attachment arm to the pin on Gear 1 then mount Gear 1 into location 1 on the front case half.(see pic STEP20A) Now mount Gear 2 (see pic STEP20B), then Gear 3 (STEP20C). Now place the back servo case half back on !!

You should now have a complete gear box !!!

INFO
      You can recognize your Gears by this, Gear 1 has the locating mount for both the POT and also the Servo saver. Gear 2 has a larger small cog on the side and gear 3 has the smaller small cog on the side !!! (if that makes sense) !!

rcs2die4
      Participant

Step 21 :
      *This step can be skipped if your not cleaning your POT !!!*

In the pic called STEP21 you can see the white plastic cover on the front of the POT !! Remove this cover making sure you don’t crack or bend it !! they are on there tight but it does come off !!! once you have it off it will look like the pic called STEP21A !! This pic also has a circle around the part I call the nipple !. Now spray some Circuit Board Cleaner in there !!! Let it dry, Then move the nipple a little and do it again !!! Once it’s completely dried the second time around replace the cover making sure it’s pushed on all the way …

Step 22 :
      Now reinstall the POT and the POT backing plate making sure you locate the POT nipple into the matching hole on Gear 1, See pic STEP22 to see the locating hole in Gear 1

Step 23 :
      Now your finished cleaning and it’s time to reassemble the car !! You do this by going backwards from Step 16 !!!

The only things I can remember you have to look out for is as mentioned earlier, Making sure you locate the wires in the right place when placing the servo cover/case back on. You can see the location of these wires in the pic called STEP9 !. The only other thing is making sure you put the 4 wires on top of the servo cover back in the right order, You can see the order of the Black and Grey wires in the pic called STEP7 and you can see the order of the Red and Black wires in the pic called STEP6

And thats about it !!! You should now have some steering that works as sweet as new and in some cases better !!!

Hope this walk through helps out anyone that needs it !! It’s taking me almost 5 hours to do, it’s after 4 in the morning and I’m now sick of typing !! LOL 😀

RCS

rcs2die4
      Participant

@betty.k 225355 wrote:

great work man, worthy of a sticky :topstuff: :8ball:

Thanks Buddy !!! But you posted before I finished !!! GRRRRR … LOL

ph2t
      Participant

nice work mr country. 🙂 I like the metric pad that is the background for all the pics, lol……

Just one thing, I may off missed it but do you mention the little brass spacers that sit between some of the servo gears? They’re testy lil buggers that can be lost or confused about their locations very easily….

Excellent work! This thread is getting majorly linked 🙂

rcs2die4
      Participant

Thanks mate ! Only to happy to help !!!

You like my work pad hay ?? Best $2 I’ve ever spent I reckon !! LOL. I also use them (other side) for when I’m cutting balsa for my RC planes !!

Hmmm, little brass spaces ?? My car has never had any little brass spaces in the servo gear box !!! Come to think of it, my mates AWD doesn’t have any either !!!

We pre-ordered these cars from the states so they were some of the first to come out ! Maybe the brass spaces were an update on newer batches !! Just a thought !! Anyway, any chance at some stage could you PM us a pic or two of the box with brass spaces in it so I can amend the post ?? :topstuff:

RCS

Renton
      Participant

rcs2die4 your a legend. thankyou so much for a great, detailed instructions

but………………………….. 🙁

for someone who has done nothing like this i got through it so easy thanks to your instructions. Now ive put it all back together, turned it on and the same thing happened 🙁

I was so excited then shattered

ahhh i guess its to go through it all again

ph2t
      Participant

@rcs2die4 225365 wrote:

Hmmm, little brass spaces ?? My car has never had any little brass spaces in the servo gear box !!! Come to think of it, my mates AWD doesn’t have any either !!!

We pre-ordered these cars from the states so they were some of the first to come out ! Maybe the brass spaces were an update on newer batches !! Just a thought !! Anyway, any chance at some stage could you PM us a pic or two of the box with brass spaces in it so I can amend the post ?? :topstuff:

RCS

My bad then. the spacers must only be in the 01 and 02 servo gearboxes. ignore my post. 🙂

rcs2die4
      Participant

Hay Renton,

No problems Buddy, I’m glad it made your first pull down allot easier !!

I’m not so glad that it didn’t fix the problem though!!!

A few questions for you !!

1, Can you explain exactly what is happening??

2, Did you clean the POT out with circuit board cleaner ???

3, Do you have or know anyone with another TX (transmitter) you could try with your car to narrow the problem down a little more ??

While your pulling it down “again” LOL, just double check everything as it only takes a microscopic rock to jam it all up, I normally check between each tooth on each cog to make sure !!

Let know… :topstuff:

RCS

rcs2die4
      Participant

@ PH2T – LOL no probs man !! you had me thinkin there !!

I even just got back from another mates house who has an AWD and he’s doesn’t have any either !!! Thats 3 from 3 so yeah, I dont think the AWD’s have them !!!

RCS

Renton
      Participant

rcs2die4

at the risk of the tail between my legs heading somewhere else i will admit the following

I pulled it apart….again.

I found a lil rock in the gears :smiley13:
      I didnt clean my pot first time (due to no pcb) but have since obtained some and done it this time

I know it was all due to that one little rock.

Once again thankyou for your radical thread. without it I would have had no chance in the world.

3 cheers for rcs2die4….hiphip

Before doing it the most complex thing I had done was put together a kinder suprise and brush my teeh left handed

rcs2die4
      Participant

LOL .. No problems Buddy !! Only to happy to help !!

I’m glad you got it sorted … :topstuff: They are much more fun to drive when you have full control over them arn’t they ??

RCS..

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.