How would you mount a timing transponder

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Here’s a serious question for all you racers out there.

If you were going to enter a race with an electronic timing system that used small transponders how would you mount them?

The team at ausmicro.com and RingoDingo (the DingoTimer people) are working on the development of a transponder based timing system for Micro, Mini and larger scale use.

At the moment our transponder is a 23mm long 4mm round capsule that weights 0.6g … We do have another option that is a small wedge block about 12mmx6mmx3mm

So anyway now that we’ve worked out the’what’ we need to work out the where. This is where you guys come in. take a look at your bits and think about ways to mount either of these to your bit and post your thoughts here.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Participant

in my opinion the best place to mount it would probably be under the roof of the bits body, if it would fit

Keymaster

I would think they fit there – I’m targeting PCB cover as the ‘location’. But that is what we’re asking you guys for 😉

A.

Edited by – Aaron on 08 July 2003 15:43:14

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Participant

yeah thats what I was thinking. On top of the PCB would most likely be the easiest place to mount it, depending on size. Some cars could probably have it mounted in front of the spoiler.

Participant

If the transponder is small enough, mount it in the chassis cavity next to the NiCd battery. This would offer better handling than on top of the pcb cover.

ph2t.

Keymaster

well it would be the racers choice within reason…. I do like the idea of mounting low….

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Participant

True, my suggestion focused on 1/64 scale.

Participant
      Quote:
      Here’s a serious question for all you racers out there.

If you were going to enter a race with an electronic timing system that used small transponders how would you mount them?

Is it working yet or is it still an idea?
      I wouldn?t mind the transponder being inside the car under the PCB but people with internal dual cells might not fit them in.

But if it only weighs 0.6 grams on top of the PCB would be ok.

You would have to have it universally mounted so no one car has an advantage with weigh disruption, like they do in real race cars.

Im building a track at the moment and would like to know how this system works exactly?

Keymaster

We are working on developing the solution at the moment. We’ve been working on the DingoTimers for quite some time but their setup doesn’t translate to the R/C application.

Essentially we know what technology we need, and how we’re going to do the data gathering and what we’re going to do with the data when it hits the PC.

The issue really comes down to the cost of the hardware. We expect the transponders to be very cheap, and the PC side of things to be picey but not outside the realms of affordability (it will time anything) We anticipate that the timing system will require a sensor mounted either the track or above it.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Participant

Does the transponder need to be powered? I’d throw it low next to the battery unless it needed to be accessed often. Otherwise I’d just throw it under the roof.

Participant

dunno all your details but from past experience – I would think you would want the transponder to be easily accessible and easily installed or removed.
      The reason being is the transpoder systems I’ve seen being used on for instance 1:10th scale races, are up in the thousands of dollars, just not enough money to buy transponders for everyone, so people have to share.
      I’d also think the lowest point on the chassis possible would be the best mounting position.

just some thoughts.

Keymaster

Transponders are non-powered.

The system we’re looking at will be significantly cheaper than existing transponder systems. We have a target price that while not ‘cheap’ is definately affordable.

At the moment the DingoTimer for Slotcars developed by RingoDingo is a good example of just how much the pricing barrier can be shattered by.

We’re still waiting on our buy pricing on some of the hardware modules we need though before we can start workign on the development system.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.