hpi micro rs4 brushless

Home Forums 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18 – Discussion hpi micro rs4 brushless

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

Hi, hope everyone had a good christmas break.. I had made some mods on a standard micro rs4, these include 300 size brushless motor, smaller steering servo, and a 11.1volt lipo. The problem is that I can not get any traction. I accelarate and the car spins out of control (donuts). I am using the car on the road surface so it is not all that slipery. Great fun in the kitchen though.. PLEASE HELP…

• This topic was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Avatar photoAaron.
      betty.k
      Participant

well for starters you got a whole lotta power in there, no matter what shoes you put on it’s gunna be able to break traction easily.

i’m guessing you have rubber tyres?
      a quick fix if you do is to get some foams. aim for more grip on the rear. :8ball:

kevsta
      Participant

You could also look at your diff settings and adjust them so there is a tiny bit of slippage.

Next thing to look at would be your suspension setup and ensure there is no tweak if it donuts in one direction all the time.

merc-blue
      Participant

you gotta learn to feed the power, very slowly,
      I had a brushless TF B4 for a while that even if you squeezed in the last 10% in a stright line it would lose it , and your power/weight is alot bigger and probly with worse suspention setup (fact of life that 1:18 cant fit great suspention)

Admin
      Participant

Thank you so much for your help, Im just getting started in 1/18th scale from nitro 1/8th scale. Thanks again Jim.

AdamC
      Participant

Hi Jim,

I have 2 540 powered micro RS4’s and my wife has a 9 cell powered 480 mrs4.

I know what you mean about the power.

I can suggest a couple of things, adjust the esc so that your power curve is a little softer, sounds like torque is your real issue so try a larger pinion on your motor, what do you have on there now? (make sure you don’t overgear though! go up in slow increments) learn to feather the throttle, don’t just ‘gun it’.

If you have ball diffs in there, as kevsta said allow some slip in there.

Betty is right about the foams too, I loose traction at low speed but find it improves dramatically as speed increases. I use soft rears and medium fronts. HPI, Elegi and TRC all make foams that fit.

A good aftermarket chassis would help too, look for penguin or dragon, I’ve heard good things about both. I own AktionRC chassis and am happy with those but they’re more for jamming a 540 in there.

Hope this helps.

klims
      Participant

i know this is a litle off the topic, but have you guys ever had any problems with the belt drive system? that really the one thing holding me back from getting one. i much preffer the shaftdriven 4WD

leonli17
      Participant

Apart from u can’t change toe or camber on the rear. It’s still good. I’ve owned a few different Micro RS4 chassis and the rear suspension setups are more of a pan car than 4WD TC. MRS4 would be cheaper now on the 2nd hand market than a M18 so it’ll all depend on ur intention for the car.

klims
      Participant

drifting pretty much. although my preffered surface would be road so i was worried about pebbles getting into the belt drive and ruining it.

betty.k
      Participant

belts survive pebbles and grit way better than gears;) :8ball:

AdamC
      Participant

I don’t know much about drifting but I’ve not had a problem with my belts.

I only drive my cars on smooth surfaces though, just netball courts.

AdamC
      Participant

Forgot to mention, HPI are now making drift kits and RTR’s they include a gyro to help you control the slide.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNXP5&P=7

klims
      Participant

that looks pretty mental. hope you guys are right about the belt drive.
      sounds like i’m gonna have to start saving again!

AdamC
      Participant

Nope, looks like I was wrong. The new drift kits don’t come with the drift assist gyro, you have to buy it separately 🙁

http://www.hpiracing.com/kits/kitMain.php?partNo=617

sucks a bit.

I did notice that HPI now have a locked spur as an option too, no rear diff. Looks like its marketed for drifters.

klims
      Participant

yeah i noticed it wasn’t mentioned in the description. don’t really care about the gyro though. sounds like a bit of a cop out.

P.S: sorry for hijacking the thread…

dgs73
      Participant

dont know if you guys still run these, but they’re a cack… especially at speed. Foams as mentioned earlier are a must, i actually run the same set up of soft rear and medium front… have a Mamba 6800 with a 14t pinion and 2s lipo and yeild approx. 70k’s… got a losi 9400 that im going to pair with a 16t pinion and see what results… now, an answer and a question; first, the answer… the belts seem to stretch a fair bit under this load, but dont seem to be able to slip. Yet… Now, the question; are there any 3s lipos that’ll fit in the stock (sorta – HB carbon upgrade but same gap for cells) chassis??

dgs73
      Participant

oh, AdamC; i got one of those drifters… the Trueno, as a rtr it has a locked front diff and spider gear diff in rear and an option locked rear in the box… not very fast drifting out of the box but added the hpi mod motor and that helped abit… rtr also does come with the gyro, but is better left unplugged i find… d

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.