HSV gts coupe

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      brendan
      Participant

Hey yall i am bout to by this HSV gts coupe it is elertric 4WD 7.2 v and i was wondering if it was any good.

119.jpg

peedee
      Participant

Thats made by smartech right, part of model engines australia…you have to ask yourself will you want to be able to race it, or just cruise around on the street with your friends, havent much about this car but someother cars that you shuld look at are, if you just wanna bash it around be ruff on the street then, Tamiya TL-01, and then if you ant to race you should think about the Team Associated TC3 this is a very good racer.

brendan
      Participant

what is a good site to have a look at these cars

ph2t
      Participant

more money than sense….

Keymaster

The chassis are not too bad – but aren’t really mainstream – I suspect they’re bought real cheap and then reshelled here with the HSV and HRT bodies.

I’m fairly sure parts support will be an issue into the future and they’re definately not a racing machine.

Better off buying a shell to suit a Tamiya chassis and goign from there if you want to take it seriously 😉

--
      Site Owner Guy.

brendan
      Participant

yer i only want it just to drive around on my streets

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

A lot of people buy cars by choosing the shell, not the hardware within. Tamiya TL01 is a good chassis, with plenty of hop-ups, readily available spares, and of course the tamiya reliability and quality.

Remember, the shell will get scuffed alot if you race, and driving around on the streets will also see alot of shell damage, and mechanical breakages. Trust me, give your car a boot and its quite easy to send it into a gutter, for street driving, try and find out what the most durable car is.

brendan
      Participant

i use to have the nitro ford falcon i use to drive it around my streets but i didnt get any body damage or anything on it it was easy to drive, but driving it off my gutter ben the chassy so i had to get a new cog nearly every week. is 7.2 v good for a eletric car.

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

Buy a real R/C car, and just buy the body separate. You’ll be glad you did. Get a Tamiya, Assoc, Losi or Yokomo. Kyosho only if you can get parts.

peedee
      Participant
      Quote:
      what is a good site to have a look at these cars

(http://www.modelengines.com.au)

Yes i agree do not buy a car for its shell, thats what some of those companies rely on is people buying for looks instead of guts, check some of the tamiyas, or a rtr tc3

brendan
      Participant

this car was like my price limit so i bought it today

peedee
      Participant

Does it have bearings, if not get some, and get an esc

brendan
      Participant

i dunno

Star Guitar
      Participant

try and find out then cause bearings are a lot better than standard bushings and i agree with peedee definatly get an esc they are more reliable than a mechanical speed control

brendan
      Participant

what is a esc

Keymaster

ESC= Electronic Speed Controller

Essentially it is a bunch of high power FETS that run the motor of the car. FETs and more efficent at driving the car at part speeds becuase they pulse the motor on and off rapidly instead of using a resistor to limit the power available to the motor like a mechanical unit does.

There’s a lot more detail that could be filled into that but in simply terms ESC is good becuase you get:

Usually better performance
      Smoother operation as you have linear control of speed
      Usually longer runtimes (unless you’re alsways at full throttle)
      Braking! Yes ESC typically integrate EMF braking which means you can control the car better into turns etc

--
      Site Owner Guy.

brendan
      Participant

how much are these ESC, were can i get one from and who could put it in.

Star Guitar
      Participant

usually a real basic esc is around 80 bucks or so, a good quality one is around 150 or so and a kickass one will be around 200 – 300 but u dont need one that good only like pros and people who are obsessed with everything that is the best will use them. just go down to ur lhs or mr toys if they have an rc section such as the mr toys near us has and ask them what type of esc would be good for the type of driving you plan on doing such as if you are going to race then you only need a forward only esc, whereas if you plan on running up and down the street an esc with forward and reverse is more for you. When you purchase an esc they should be able to put it into your car and program it for you since u appear to be new to the hobby, not that theres anything wrong with being new i was new only like a few months ago…. *didnt no anythin about the hobby hehe still learning*

The guys at the lhs will always be happy to help you out with your car and will always answer any questions you have about the hobby.

if you need any help or got any questions just pm us or email me my email addy is in my sig somewhere

brendan
      Participant

thanx man for the help now i understand.

Star Guitar
      Participant

no prob man if u need any more help just ask us we all will help if we no the answer to your question

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.