Hudy Comm Lathe

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      kevsta
      Participant

Does anyone know how this lathe can skim a sealed stock motor ?

There is an option part that you can buy that will let you skim the comm on a stock motors without having to take it apart, Just wondering how this works because the air vents on the can are pretty small and wasn t sure how the tool could get in there.

Thanks.

merc-blue
      Participant

kev, never seen/heard of this.. i think its because its not hard to take a motor apart and u can see better what ur doing and also .. also most racing motors are rebuildable sport tuned and540 silver cans arent worth comm cutting.. just run it it propery from teh box and there great if the comm does seem crap u can re dip it but dunno if that works

kevsta
      Participant

Yeah, looks like it can do the sealed stock motors such as these ones:

http://rchobbies.com.au/store/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=1136&osCsid=f36116cda10801101915afabb5311201

…provided that there is a hole near the brush hoods where the cutting bit can enter. So silver cans and sport tuned motors are out… but I guess you can comm stick these ones, or use cotton buds.

Have you got a lathe Merc ? Just wondering if the eagle racing one is any good because it’s more suited to my budget than a hudy one plus diamond bit.

🙂

mocky
      Participant

i want a lathe, could u true a miniz motor with that as well? if it could limiteless applications.

merc-blue
      Participant

nah no lathe.. the idea is to make freinds with some one who has one..
      teh eagle lathe.. no idea on quality but i have a few other eagle bits and peice and are all very good so i wouldnt expect it to be bad..
      a good lathe and carbide bit = a adverage lathe and diamond bit.. not easy to lathe it well either.. just gotta take ur time..
      before buying this sorta gear make sure all ur radio and batterys and charger etc are all good.. cause the $$ would deffently be good to upgrade no use using a sanwa dash with a evo4

mini-g
      Participant

man…kev…. dont worry about the sealed motors, just replace them. if you are thinking about the ones that cut the old style stock motors(non re-buildable) i dont think you will find one, just get your self a good stock or mod motor and i am sure someone at the track will be able to cut it for you when needed, or i can. i use a eagle laith with a diamond tip and have been for 4 years or so.

and mocky there are laithes for mini-z motors, same ones the slot cars use, check with them if you are looking for one.

BIG DAVE

kevsta
      Participant

Merc, wish I could make friends with someone that has one, but don’t really want to hassle someone on race day to cut a comm between races. I’ve seen the look on some of the “serious” racers and it’s the same look people get when the hsc chemistry exam paper is placed in front of them. LOL…

All my other gear seems okay so far, but will find out when I race my first stock class this weekend.

Big Dave, I’ve got a team br00d monster stock motor at the moment, and some time this week, the epic roar stock pro motor coming from tower. I read on the web that stock motors need to be cut on average every 8-9 runs so that they last a lot longer. That’s why the sudden interest in lathes.

I’m looking at ordering the Eagle comm lathe 4 pictured here:
      http://www.eaglemodel.com/en%20net/en%20cont/en%20on%20new3/cont03_2_1.html for around $145 AUD it seems good value.
      🙂

mini-g
      Participant

cool, yeah get the mod laith. will do everything you want then. give us a yell if you have any questions. you got pm

BIG DAVE

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Does anyone know how this lathe can skim a sealed stock motor ?

There is an option part that you can buy that will let you skim the comm on a stock motors without having to take it apart, Just wondering how this works because the air vents on the can are pretty small and wasn’t sure how the tool could get in there.

For old-style (non rebuildable) stockers, the can is sealed.

The Hudy lathe (with the layshaft) can poke its cutting bit
      in through the endbell AFTER YOU TAKE OFF THE BRUSH HOOD.

These days, modern stock motors are Rebuildable so you can take the
      comm out and lathe it like any other mod motor. You will get a
      better job as the comm don’t have to run on its (worn?) bushings
      in the can when its being cut.

Taking off the brush hoods are a real p.i.t.a; plus old motors will
      never cut it on a track against a modern stocker.

Hudy’s lathe without the layshaft is cheaper and great for mods/rebuildables.

merc-blue
      Participant

kev want the BEST stock motor localy cant go past the EA tuned trinitys.. can get them from harrisRC

TallduDe
      Participant

where can you get them from Merc?

betty.k
      Participant
      TallduDe
      Participant

cheers man i was doing au at the end blackeye:

btw there seems to be two motors there. one says monster and the other is a epic.

which one is best for stock class?

Edited by – TallduDe on 31 March 2005 02:24:31

dgs73
      Participant
      Quote:
      kev want the BEST stock motor localy cant go past the EA tuned trinitys.. can get them from harrisRC

yeah, i’ll be grabbing one of these shortly

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      Quote:

yeah, i’ll be grabbing one of these shortly

Me too, I’ll grab one of those monsters as well with the F-brushes. Local price is quite good for a tuned motor, about the same as buying from the US with shipping.

Got my eyes on the epic outlaw binary 2 stock – the one with 4 magnets inside the can that’s suppose to run like a 19t.

🙂

dgs73
      Participant

sounds interesting… looking for something around the 12-15 turn mark for park running. (now have a speedie that can handle it…) Still want the Trinity for racing though

TallduDe
      Participant

has anyone ordered off that site they seem to have a few interesting parts.

merc-blue
      Participant

dont think the binary is legal.
      honestly NOTHING is faster the the EA trinity.. a mate of mine simon qualified 2nd at the nationals on one of them.. harris RC are great they supply good motors and batterys
      if ya go the money, knowlage and skills the AE will not let u down but remember ur gonna need a comm lathe and stuff (good batts, charger, radio, tyre warmers?, etc) for stock racing

TallduDe
      Participant

yeah the price of stock racing is inhibiting me from getting into that scene.

dont get me wrong would be fun but i dont really get motors so pulling one aprt wont be that fun for me.

rather plug and play thats why my mini is so much fun. 😀

mini-g
      Participant

hey td pulling down notors is easy once you have done it once or twice….can give you a rundown sometime if you want.

BIG DAVE

kevsta
      Participant

Hey, got my eagle comm lathe last night, it’s a nice piece of equipment, anodized in purple and all…

Won’t be able to try it out until my motor comm gets a bit scarred though.

I wish it came with some diagrams and english instructions on which way to mount the cutting bit.

peteWah
      Participant
      Quote:
      Hey, got my eagle comm lathe last night, it’s a nice piece of equipment, anodized in purple and all…

Purple hay, dgs will love that….>The purple nut that he is…:smiley2:

Big Dave might be able to help is regards to the cutting bits position…

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:

Cut your comms more often & you’ll cut them less.

Better to do many more ‘light’ skims, rather than doing a deep cut.
      More your brushes bounce on a un-true comm the more they arc and
      eat away the copper, so you need to do the deep cut.

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      Quote:

Cut your comms more often & you’ll cut them less.

Better to do many more ‘light’ skims, rather than doing a deep cut.
      More your brushes bounce on a un-true comm the more they arc and
      eat away the copper, so you need to do the deep cut.

Thanks, will be doing a light skim tonight. Stock Motor is apart right now, just got to set up the cutting bit on the lathe. At the moment, I don’t know if the cutting bit is a left to right or right to left one…

kevsta
      Participant

This lathe cuts really good.

Got a shine and finish like a brand new motor comm.

Can’t go past japanese quality, the lathe is so sturdy and solid, and the build quality is exceptional.

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.