i waver and plasma dash situation

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      betty.k
      Participant

i ve just run with my first hot motor and it seems to be starving the steering motor of power. when under load like accelerating the steering is very slow, acting the same as if the batteries were flat. jamie suggested an electrolytic capacitor across the battery terminals, and i m thinking the stock i waver steering fets could be replaced. anyone else had this happen?:8ball:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I can’t honestly see how changing to higher current FET would affect this, cause if they are getting starved, then it won’t help the problemone little bit, however, if the problem is something else, be my guest to bitch slap me.

merc-blue
      Participant

lol i want one of jamies motors now so it can wreak my xmods and i can bitch slap him

betty.k
      Participant

i just tried the capacitor (10v, 470 uf) and it sorta helped, but not enough. i’m guessing a bigger one will help but that will be huge and no one else has had this problem. pork hunt is running the same setup and he’s having no trouble with steering (except for the busted servo gears!):8ball:

dgs73
      Participant

mate ‘ill tell you now one of these sorry his motors will KILL your Xmod.

betty.k
      Participant

things get mighty hot with these motors that’s for sure! i had the stock switch burn out on me (literally!). i can understand people making fireworks with these using no turbo or fet stacks:8ball:

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      …when under load like accelerating the steering is very slow, acting the same as if the batteries were flat.

Put a voltmeter (preferably analog) across the battery.
      Check if the V is dropping a lot at full load.

Some brands of (I’m assuming) AAAs have very high internal
      resistance and when you load them high, they can’t pump
      out enough juice & the V drops. Battery gets hot.

betty.k
      Participant

i checked voltage. i’m using the xspeed at the mo, and at rest it’s 5v and when using full throttle it drops to 4.6. and when going forward and reverse it drops to 3.5. i’m using a digital multimeter so all values are averages. i tried the plasma with powertech 800mah nimhs and energizer nimhs. perhaps the resistance lies in the switch. with i wavers the power switch sits (electrically) between the 2 sets of 2 batteries, whereas a kyosho has the switch wired to the pcb. so the iw switch is right in the firing line. as i said one switch burnt out, a melting scorching burn out. and everything got hot, not too hot but definately not warm:8ball:

SausaGe_LinK
      Participant

Changing FETS wouldnt fix your problem, it may make it worse as they might allow the motor to draw more current.
      I put a 6v 3300uF capacitor on my little bro’s Z, it fits nicely, its not that big either because its only 6v.
      If it is the switch, maybe wire it to turn on a low resistance relay or something like that ?

betty.k
      Participant

all points noted!:smiley2: with the fet replacement, i was refering to the steering fets.
      i’m just sourcing components from old junk so it’s old technology, ie big. i’m sure i’ll find a higher value, smaller size at jaycar. basically my setup is this:

i waver
      powertech nimh/ energizer nimh
      plasma dash
      whoah nelly turbo
      switch from an enertec (aint blown yet!:p):8ball:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

It sounds like the switch is arcing, which is limiting the current available, and causing RF noise which is amking the steering screw up.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.