I WAVER QUESTION

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      jamiekulhanek
      Participant

hey,

Just wondering if anybody has had any luck running a motor such as a atamiya plasma dash in the iwaver “pro chassis, using the stock FETs…

ph2t
      Participant

see here, this bloke just put a crappy iWaver XSPEED motor in it and it blew. IT wasn’t even the Xspeed Pro, just the regular iWaver xspeed.

http://www.microrccenter.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30978

So I doubt it would work.

I think their statement is full of shit. I’ve yet to see any complementary mosfet SO-8 pkg that can take over 2-2.5W of power….. Given this limitation unless they go to single packaged MOSFETS I reakon….

“Tell ‘im he’s Dreaaaaaaaming…..”

ph2t.

Keymaster

I doubt they’re using great FETs, the heat load due to high internal resistance being a problem.

I would think that a pair of IRF7317s or a mini-FET swap, or a full on Nelly will wipe the floor with TE FETs.

Has anyone gotten part numbers off their FETs or the 16pin TSSOP yet?

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

ph2t
      Participant

I’ve got the part numbers at home for the IW02 mosfets. The iw-01 pro’s apparently have the faces grounded down. Dodgy buggers….

I’ll post the part # tonight for the IW02, it’s an IRF mosfet I can tell you at the most for now.

ph2t.

Keymaster

Thanks dude!

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

ph2t
      Participant

no wucca’s!

ph2t
      Participant

here’s the dilly…

the mosfets used on the IW02 pcb’s are IRF7338

here’s the datasheet:

http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/irf7338.pdf

Max power dissipation is still only 2W.. The on resistance is pitifull stock mini-z HAT3004 mosfet quality.

cheers,

ph2t.

Keymaster

Yikes, now there’s a SH!T pair of FETs!

With internal resistance of about 210mOhms – basically double that of a IRF7389, and MORE THAN THREE times higher than the IRF7317 these iWaver Pro’s are not going anywhere fast.

The internal resistance means that those puppies are going to overheat (the dissipation ph2t mentions) real quick…

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

peteWah
      Participant

More than a yikes, Its a >steer clear it sounds like Chief

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

What I want to know is why the hell do they use S0-8 package FETs??

I never believed the data sheets for the 7389 and the 4562’s, 7A from a tiny S0-8?? I don’t think so Tim…..

In theory my 9×2 stack of FETs should have handled ~50A…..but nope, 10A was almost too much…

Keymaster

It’s correct when used to manufacturers specs. Whilst we only focus on working ability and RDS(on) there’s more at play including getting enough gate voltage to properly switch the devices, if the switching circuitry is average then the FETs themselves will not perform to spec.

I’d guess that the Mini-Z electronics doesn’t switch fast enough to control the FETs correctly and that causes them to suffer more load/heat stress than is desirable. I woudl think moving to matched FET drivers (like Nelly 1.3?) will get around this..

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

ph2t
      Participant

yup, lower internal resistance decreases power dissipated. that’s the theory anyway…..

ph2t.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.