Ideas for having a car with no visible arial.

Home Forums Bit Char-G, Digi-Q and other Micros Bit CharG and Micro Radio Controlled – Technical Ideas for having a car with no visible arial.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

Topic pretty much sums it up. I was playing around with newly bought GTR from Toys R US here in Japan, and I managed to tuck in the cable completly inside the chasis. Obviously this reduced my range quite dramatically and was pretty much useless.

What Im trying to find out is, is there any way or any other technology that can be used to have a respectable range without having the antenna visible.

The cars look so much hotter and realistic with no giant antenna sticking out and destroying all sense of reality.

Any ideas ? How do those mobile phones with no antennas work, is there something we can hide inside the car and get almost the same range ??

MxM

Admin
      Participant

mxmm,
      make an antenna like a thunder chargers

ph2t
      Participant

First off, welcome to the board fellas.:)

mxm, mobile phones can afford to have small antennas ’cause their freq of operation is so high. General rule, the higher the freq, the shorter the antenna to have the same effect.

Personally I use electric guitar string that is very fine and tensile. You can’t even tell that it’s there.

ph2t.

KingRX7
      Participant

superman can see everything

brendan
      Participant

I got a clone and i ripped the arial off and i still had really good range.

jazza_1984
      Participant

how is the range when using the guitar string does it affect it at all?

barto_85
      Participant

I think it actually increases the range. ph2t will be able confirm that when he’s on next.

trash
      Participant

Get yourself a roll of thin enamled wire.
      Coil it up into a square loop that will fit inside the roof of your chassis. About 20-30 turns should be enough and just solder the wire to to terminal where the antenna used to be.
      You might also consider trying to build a small
      loaded antenna. Basically, get a small ferrite
      slug (from an old AM radio.. look inside the tiny metal can’s, you can get the enambled wire from them too) and put 5-10 turns onto the slug and leave the rest of your antenna to protrude.
      I haven’t tried this one myself, so at the moment it’s just a theory. If your looking for information on the web about it, look for “loaded antennas”.

ph2t
      Participant
      Quote:
      how is the range when using the guitar string does it affect it at all?

Guitar string antenna and crip cap removal has given me a steady 9 meter average indoors.

ph2t.

jazza_1984
      Participant

cool i might have to give it a go thanks for that ph2t

Prowler3
      Participant

my rsx is cripple capped, i couldnt find it so i might trythe guitar thing. How do u do it? i dont want to open the pcb stuff but

Admin
      Participant
      Quote:
      my rsx is cripple capped, i couldnt find it so i might trythe guitar thing. How do u do it? i dont want to open the pcb stuff but

but what? but i spilled it all over my pants? but i ate it last night? heh just some strongbad humor just use a soddering gun becareful though, i accdently broke a car while soddering once i was so mad i almost gave my self 3rd degree burns waving the bloody thing around but anyways back to the point, use a soddering gun u can pick one up at ur local RadioShack, hope this helped, in anycase if im absolutely totally wrong Feel Free to Spam me till i Cry

RacerX
      Participant

I’ve actualy dremeled a hole big enough for the areial in the bonnet of the car I run the ant to the clip on the pcb and the down out the hole makes it look like a normal car ant and height

Admin
      Participant

MXM The reason why some electronic devices or cell phones have no antenna’s, is because they use (micro strip antenna’s) ecth on the PCB.THE antenna load is match to the circuits input and output stages of the amplifiers stage (impedances).Its called RF impedance matching.In RF circuit design. This is not a theory. ITs a fact.Look up impedance matching for RF CIRCUITS.And Micro strip PCB antenna’s.Or PCB’s ecth antenna’s.You could try what TRASH commented on. Using the magnetic wire and, form a loop coil to form a antenna but you still have to match the load with the impedances of the last stages of the amplifier to any antenna you use for this kind of load.If you don’t do any impedances matching of your load for your loop antenna and size of the wire and lenght in will not work.And the loop coil that TRASH commented on would be the easise way and cheapest. The guitar wire that PH2T used is just a wire the same as a dipole antenna with the, I guest the same lenght of wire he had in the car in the first place. he just changed the type of wire used. It did not change the load of the wire or the impedances of this wire thats why I assumed it worked in his car.MXM you can try no wire but the car might not work. Or you will get a short range it depends. GOOD LUCK.:smiley16:

betty.k
      Participant

crikey! this is an oldie, good value but:8ball:

Admin
      Participant

Also keep in mind that there is no isolation between the antenna and the tuned circuit in the receiver. So a different antenna or configuration may detune it.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.