I’m new to micro and need help

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      souljah23
      Participant

Hello Everyone,

Firstly I would like to congratulate Aaron on a fantastic site, looks good, easy to use and loaded with useful information(thanks to the users who provide alot of this info too).

Anyway, I am new to the micro world and have just signed up so this is my virgin post :smiley9: and have a few questions.

Firstly, I want to buy some micro cars to play around with in the house and in the garage. I mainly just interested in getting a 4 car set-up so me and my friends can have some mini races and fun over a couple of beers on the weekend. I dont plan on going to crazy and setting up the best racer I can or anything (i’m not ruling that out further down the track either 😀 )

Secondly, I have a very small and limited budget and will be looking at getting 4 evenly matched cars (with different bodies of course).

My big questions are:

What types of car should I get?

I am curently looking at the Iwaver 01 RTR cars(limited budget) that are being sold off cheaply through the forums and would like to know what opinions people have about those cars? What hop-up parts should i invest in to go with them?

What hop-ups should I look at in the begining when I want to have a little more “fun” or to crank up the racing speed?
      What hop-ups should I get to minimize racing damage?
      What precautions should i take with a home made race track to minimize damage(i.e surface, types of corners etc)?
      What sort of batteries should I use, what charger? links or online store info would be very helpful.

I would dearly love a one of those AWD kyoshos:smiley15: but I am dreaming if I think I can afford nearly $300 for one car.

Sorry about all the questions but with a limited budget I would like to try and get it right the first time.

Thank you for any help provided and I look forward to contributing more to the forums in the future,
      Cheers,
      Souljah23

betty.k
      Participant

hi there, welcome!:smiley10:

it might not be the answer you’re after but i’d suggest looking at the tiny micros like zip zaps, bit char g and other types of 1:64 rc’s.
      they’re unlikely to break during normal (and even abnormal) useage.
      they’re a whole lotta fun, it’s how most of us got into rc:topstuff: :8ball:

ken_wyleung
      Participant

The cheapest one in 1/28 can be Kyosho Palm-runner or i-Waver Power-runner, but you have to ensure you get 4 difference band.

If you are looking for a very little bit better, it can be i-waver 01.
      If you are looking for speed, Firelap 02 is not bad.
      If you are looking for the 1/28 feel like 1/10 or 1/12, Kyosho MR-02 or MA-010.

You know what is Benz and what is KIA?

stix
      Participant

Hey souljah23,

I know I may be a bit bias on this topic, as I am trying to selling off Iwaver 01 RTR. However I do believe that the Iwavers are a very cheap way to enter this hobby scene. The Iwaver 01 RTR is an awesome package with spring sets and pinion sets included. Since you are starting out, why not try something as good as the Kyosho Mini-Z but not at the same price. If you grow passionate about the RC scene, then you can upgrade to the Kyosho for a better competitve edge. Currently since we(my partners and I) are trying to get rid of an over supply of Iwaver RTR and parts, you can certainly get a incredible deal.
      Please do not hesitate to contact me on adrianloo@iprimus.com.au
      for any further details or questions you have.

Thanks.
      Kind Regards,
      Adrian Loo

steelwoolghandi
      Participant

I am with Betty on this one I would start with the Cheaper 1/64 Scale they are great for the house and for areas with limited space and you can have a lot of fun esp after a few beers. Try them out first then move on to the bigger and better!

Kerosene
      Participant

I wouldn’t bother with micros. Go straight to 1/28. Micros are excellent fun to mod and tinker with, but for racing – 1/28s are way more fun. Plus you don’t have to stop every few minutes to recharge your car.

For the money, iwavers are good value – and you can easily get reasonably cheap spares if you smash something. If you do get iwavers (or any 1/28) get a few spare h plates too. Don’t forget you’ll need a ton of batteries. 4xAAA per car, 8xAA per TX. Could cost more than the cars.

souljah23
      Participant

Hi,
      Thank you to all that replied.
      To: stix/adrian loo i had already found your post and sent you an email did you get it? I have re-sent it just in case it will be from mightyd@netspace.net.au email address

I think i might look into the Iwavers and mini z’s because 1/64 is a bit small for me and I would like the longer running time

What batteries should i get? rechargeable, alkaline, something else? links to good deals if ya have any is appreciated.:)

Thanks,
      Souljah23

Kerosene
      Participant

Jaycar is a good place for batteries (rechargeables).
      http://www.jaycar.com.au

If you’re going to charge a lot of batteries you should think about getting one of those chargers than can handle heaps of batteries at once.

peteWah
      Participant

Go to a Battery World and get some Sonyo 900mah NIMH batteries if you want good ones…

stix
      Participant

Hi Souljah23,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I have just emailed you back with all the answers. If I did miss anything please let me know. Sorry its Chinese New Year, and I have been constantly eating and eating this whole weekend… OH YEAH!

Kind Regards,
      Adrian Loo

TallduDe
      Participant

man you can get some great fully hopped up kyosho mini z’s for cheap.

iwavers are cheap for a reason…….

peteWah
      Participant

Yeah, Get a mini z… You will have a ball with it and you have multiple setup options…

Like this custom paint job i had done on this sprinter, there is so much you can do with a Z

icebreaka
      Participant

Aww pete that body looks nice. and to think it used to be in my hands..!

Anyway, I recommend you get a Kyosho Z, and the others can be iwavers.. And if you get really into it, you can upgrade the iwavers to Z’s or just hop em up to the full.. Great way to get started 😀

Keymaster

iWavers are great to get an entry level into the hobby. Once you’re in and start modding then you will drift towards Kyosho for core parts like electronics and stuff – but honestly when you’re replacing a lot of the bits with hop-ups a iWaver or Kyosho is not differentiated by much.

Unless you know you have plenty of empty flat space a Overland on Monster style is better. They’re a bit top heavy but great fun to bounce around over stuff..

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

souljah23
      Participant

Hi guys,
      You guys are really making me want to get a kyosho mini z. Where can i get one cheap? any links? Are we talking new or used? what sort of prices should i expect?

icebreaka: I like your idea of getting one z for me and the rest Iwavers :smiley15:

petewah: love the sprinter :smiley4:

TallduDe: where abouts are these fully hopped up cheap z’s?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.