Improving steering etc.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

All the bits I have looked at tend to have very loose steering arms causing toe out when running. If you dismantle the front end and glue small scraps of plastic to the top of the steering arm so as to remove excess play and push the steering knuckles outward causing the wheels to toe in, handling and tracking improve dramaticaly especialy at high speed.
      I have also had 1 car with a loose (not glued to axle) rear wheel, made handling entertaining.
      Best lube I have found is a product called “ezy glide” its a dry lube and doesn,t pick up dust and works for steering joints as well as drive train.

leonli17
      Participant

Welcome to the forum geebee.
      Can u post some pics. I am kinda lost here.

merc-blue
      Participant

hey i tryed to putty up one of the holes n redrill the to make a tighter fit but they bith have 2 be in the same position on both sides.. i dosnt really inprove much

Admin
      Participant

Merc-blue, its not the just the slack that causes the problems its the fact that the tyres end up pointing outward at the front end as it tends to make the wheels pull out of center and when you turn it makes it harder for the spring to pull them back. Full size cars have the same problems thats why they have toe in. With my bit the results were very impressive.
      I,ll see what I can do picture wise ,Leonli17

Admin
      Participant

tnDSCN2432.jpg

I hope that worked,I borrowed it from the tech gallery (hope thats allowed), you put the scap plastic (thin) with super glue on top of this arm ( the side thats showing)so that it pushes the pivots outward.
      You only want slight toe in. An added bonus is a small reduction in drag.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Can you give us sonme more info on the “ezy glide” lube
      :)uA

Admin
      Participant

uA its a Selleys product in a spray can ( 1 can would do a few million gear trains :)) we use it at work for plastic lube briliant stuff.If you drive through fluff the lubed gears dont pick up fluff but unlubed ones do.Must get around to lubing my sons car:D.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Ok, thanks, I’ll look out for it.

Super Max Power
      Participant

Geebee,
      Would graphite powder work too?
      I have buckets of it laying around.
      SMP

Admin
      Participant

Super power max, I wouldn’t like to try it as it would be messy and graphite is conductive if it got in the circuit or motor there may be a problem, If you do try use a tiny amount.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Thanks geebee, i did a search on the net and it sounds like good stuff. I might have to try this stuff out.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.