Installing the Spider V3.0 "Red Back" in a AWD chassis

Home Forums Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods and other Mini-Scale Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods – Technical Installing the Spider V3.0 "Red Back" in a AWD chassis

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      rcs2die4
      Participant

Heres a How To on installing the “Red Back into a AWD chassis !!
      It’s a bit late, but better late then never hay !!

OK guys it’s a very tight fit in the chassis but all the wires and half the thickness of the PCB section fit
      under the cover and the rest sticks out a little through a hole you have to cut in the PCB cover..

I’ll run you though the steps It took to complete my install.. It works very well and I think looks good once finished ..

The install is quite easy if your decent with a soldering iron !!

STEP 1:
      Strip the chassis down so that the PCB is removed from it !!

STEP 2:
      Now you have to move the standard FETs from the PCB !! Use your normal method to move them..
      If your not going to use these FET’s any where else which most people wont then just cut FETs off then use the iron
      to remove the left over leg from the solder pads !! I De-soldered mine as I has also FET stacked a mates AWD so with
      the two sets I now have I stack another mates car with a 3×2 stack of standard FET’s worked well too !!!…
      Look at the pic called “No FETs” to see what you should now have !!!

STEP 3:
      Look at the pic called “FET Wires” to see the basic position where the spider PCB will sit!! Do a general layout of the
      wires as you see then in this pic and stick the PCB in position with a piece of double sided tape for now !! I did most of
      my setup and my original chassis as it makes it a little easier to maneuver it around !! The main power wires for the spider PCB
      that will go under the main PCB can be left hanging out for now !! just tuck the 4 colored wires under the PCB so that they
      will point to wards the rear of the chassis as per the pic.

STEP 4:
      Once you have the basic layout, Start with the Orange wire and cut it to length, prep it for soldering to the PCB and
      do so !! you should be able to see in the pic “FET Wires” where it’s soldered to but to help its pad number 2 !!
      Now that thats done do the Yellow wire in the same manner. It go’s to solder pad number 4, again refer to the
      pic called “FET Wires

STEP 5:
      Now do the same for the Green wire, it’s pad is also number 2 but where the second FET was positioned ! once thats down
      do the Blue wire. use the same pic “FET Wires” for reference.

STEP 6:
      Now this is where things start to get a little tight !!! As per the pic called “Pad mod” scrap off the green coating
      where I have put the Red squares ! This will create a large pad as per the larger pad underneath the one I’ve marked
      with the squares for the motor wires from the spider to be soldered too !! do it to both sets of pads ! This setup allows you
      to use the original motor termination points on the main PCB and make motor change the same as it was when standard !!!
      you can see I’ve just edited this pic as I forgot to take a pic of my modded pads !!!

STEP 7:
      Once Step 6 is done, refer to the pic called “Motor Wires” Run the Aeriel wire the same way I have !! It has not
      changed my reception in anyway !!! Then cut and solder the two spider motor wires to the main PCB in the same way
      I have ! keep it all as flat to the main PCB as possible or you wont be able to refit the PCB cover !!!

STEP 8:
      OK it gets a little harder here !!! if you used a piece of double sided tape to hold the spider down, remove it now !!! Now
      we have to cut and prep the two spider main power wires !!! you have to make sure theres enough length to reach
      the solder points but also make sure there not to long so that they take up to much room and the main PCB not sit flat
      anymore !!! it’s easier if you start to install the main PCB back into the chassis.. Refer to the pic called “Power Wires
      for the general layout !! I’ve soldered the two wires to the same points where the Main PCB gets its power from !!
      this way if you need to remove the main PCB the whole PCB and Spider will come out as one piece !!! no need for De-soldering !!!

STEP 9:
      You should now be able to put the whole chassis back together bar the PCB cover and test that it all works !!!! if you
      have replicated my setup and have soldered it all correctly then you shouldn’t have any problems !!!

rcs2die4
      Participant

STEP 10:
      Once your happy it’s all working it’s time to mod te PCB cover !!

All I did was cut a hole in where the spider will stick out through it !!! refer to the pic called “Modded Cover” I also removed the little piece of plastic between the + and – on the cover too !!! just keep trimming till it fits perfectly !!!

Well thats it !! it’s 4 O’clock in the morning and time for bed :huh:

Hope the walk through helps with your installs and that the installation went well !!

I’ve attached a few pics of mine finished !! hope you like !!!

RCS

Admin
      Participant

thanks for the tutorial! Also about step 6 for the motor wires, what did you use to scrape off the green stuff? Is it possible to get a good connection without scraping it and soldering the wire across all of those previous fet pads?

rcs2die4
      Participant

I used a modeling knife to scrape the green coating off !! And yeah it will work just soldering the wire across the 4 pads but it is better to create the larger pad by scrapeing it as it’s a larger contact area !!!

Traveler
      Participant

Nice job! This will come in handy when I get around to installing the v4.0 in my AWD. Thanks!

rcs2die4
      Participant

No Probs at all !!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.