Is the beginning of the end

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      mr.micro.2u
      Participant

I’ll probably get shot down in flames here, but as a newcomer to mini z cars and the recent release of the AWD mini z, are the RWD cars going to continue to be dominant for much longer? Will they fall to the wayside? When you look at other scales the majority of these are in AWD/4WD format. Would you consider buying a RWD on-road touring car, whether it be nitro or electric?(probably not when you consider the advantages of AWD) Am i being a bit premature in my opinions as i have never owned a RWD mini z?, but as a newcomer also, i did not take much time in making making my decision when purchasing my first mini z and that being an AWD. So my question is, will Kyosho continue to make the RWD cars? or will they push to make way for AWD?
      Paul

merc-blue
      Participant

they use the term AWD very loosly its acctually 4WD to be picky,
      i doubt we will ever see RWD dissapear, but it may become less popular

Admin
      Participant

If Kyosho and in particular their Mini-Z range wish to retain or expand their market share (three cheers for the almighty dollar) , they will surely follow the same path that has been trodden in the 1/10th nitro market. Great Vigor used to make nitro sedans which were only two wheel drive. Basically they were lemons, but to try and grab some of the market from Kyosho, they added 4WD. Nearly all companies are now concentrating on producing ready to run cars (for the mass market, not necessarily for the serious racers) which have the mandatory two speed auto transmission. GV (BV1), Associated (NTC3 RTR) and Kyosho (FW-05T Plus) now produce RTR cars which include such previously luxuary items as universal shafts and alloy shocks as standard. Kyoshos’ FW-05T Plus range are a case in point. Ready to run, with radio installed, painted body, glued tyres, unis, alloy shocks, two speed, turnbuckles, RRR rear hubs………… And all for a retail price less than the standard and comparativley pedestrian V-One S and FW-05S series’ kit (Mechano set with no radio) cars.

Now that Kyosho have manufactured a viable 4WD system for the Mini-Z, It would be difficult to imagine that they would take the retrograde step in pouring heaps of time and money into the further development of new 2WD vehicles.

Personally, I would like to see them spend their time and effort in producing/including better radio systems in the Mini-Z series. Things like digital steering servos and further fine tuning of the steering mechanism would be money well spent. (IMHO)

And merc-blue, can you please explain consicely the difference between AWD and 4WD?

leonli17
      Participant

To be a real AWD, u will not just have 2 diffs one at front and the other at the back but also a center diff is in the transmission.

merc-blue
      Participant

leon is bassicaly right,
      4WD you have a transfer case which just puts the power into teh rear diff in AWD you have a multi clutch plate thing in the moddle which is the cross between a slipper and a LSD which puts power down at the rear when the front slips and vice versa while a 4wd will just keep putting out equalpower to all the axles

as for digital steering servos, you lose accuracy (it seems lika gain though) but increase processing speed i dont think mini-zs will benefit from digital processing,
      although a full electronics overhaul would be nice go full PCM or HRS and get some of the nice features although the problem is the adverage user would be up the creek witout a paddle when it come time to setting independant servo return expos and speeds (dont laugh my old KO had it, along with a 140 page manual)

possibly a better steering system, i dont see why they dont go with ball cup joins like all oter RCs they are so versatile and can have little/no slop,
      not the standard stlye clipon but screw throughts on mounted ball (will solve problems with the cups popping off)

betty.k
      Participant

i’ve owned xmods, mr01’s and currently drive a mr02. i’ve also driven xmod evos and a 4wd mini z.

what you plan to do with your 1:28 ultimately determines which one is best for you.

for what i do (hard concrete/tarmac racing) the kyosho mr02 is unbeatable and always will be:worship:

i personally am surprised at kyosho for the unintelligent design of the 4wd. try all you like but you’ll never convince me that the batteries on one side makes it drive evenly.:thumbs_down:

if i wuz magic i’d wish up an xmod evo built with kyosho quality control;) :8ball:

BludyYank
      Participant

I have always preferred rwd drive if for no other reason than to be a traditionalist in sticking with configurations that match real scale racing venues. I also agree that if they were to incorporate MR-02 steering and running gear design into the Evolution XMod along with the quality it could actually be a competative road racer.

nismotuningrocks
      Participant

betty k i have noticed that your steering has to be adjusted to one side for it to drive more evenly the batts should have been placed better and im sure id prolly enjoy a mr02’s handling much more

elusiver
      Participant

i’m coming from the same place as bludyyank.. i do find the evo 4wd is easier to drive on dusty concrete.. which is the main surface i drive on.. but.. i do enjoy the challenges in driving and setup that the rwd iwaver..

el 🙂

ken_wyleung
      Participant

it is hard to talk 2wd or awd which one is better, it is depend on setting, handle and track. But one thing can be sure, it is Kyosho MR-01 is discountined; and which is replace by MR-015 and AWD.
      Yes, the AWD ready set and chassis set are come with 2 gear diff, but it has front one way release at the end of March (MDW017) and the Ball diff (MDW018) will be release soon. It can be check from the AWD part list.

http://www.kyosho.co.jp/web/products/option/pdf/mini-z_awd_partslist_051130-e.pdf
      😀

For the TX, it has a very good TX for Mini-Z in the market by KO-Pro AD HRS or AM HRS (EX-10 and EX-1), Futaba AM (3PK, 2PL)and Swana AM (M11 and M8).

I am not try to say Kyosho has do the best, but it is well done.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.