Iwaver 02m dissection and review

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      hakhawk
      Participant

ok guys, got my iwaver 02m tonight. ive already ripped it to pieces, put it back together and installed ball bearings!!

this is gonna be a average review, as i dont feel like typing heaps.

chassis, looks good, well thought out i think. new rear suspension setup is different and seems to work ok from my limited quick bolt around the house with new uncharged batteries.

construction looks good, its a soft type of plastic, so i cant see bits breaking off randomly due to overtightening, you’ll strip the thread first i think.

drives ok, not perfectly straight, but i havent set it up at all yet, just stuck batteries in and drove. the diff seems pretty much the same as the iw01. spins on left turn, turns wide on right. could do with a ball diff which i plan to get.

feels smooth, steering is good. gears are a bit noisey, but nothing a bit of grease probably wont fix.(didnt strip down diff to look)

pcb looks great, nice clean layout, very mod friendly. the only wire directly attatched to it is the antenna wire. everything else is plugged or screwed onto, which makes for removing it easy without breaking any wires.

theres a 1000uF 10v cap across the pos n neg on the underside of pcb(pics show it bent out to side, that was just to get a shot of whole pcb)

fets used are marked 4501.

body is nicely made, looks like its a clear molded plastic then painted, leaving the lights all clear and tinted red or orange for brake and indicators.

wheels and tyres leave a bit to be desired, bit wobbly and such, but not too bad.

controller, the chrome bits make it look cheap. nice easy removable no wires battery holder. buttons are nice clickable, makes beeps on each press.

ok, now for pics, any questions about the car, just ask. please be patient with the pics loading, im hosting from home

enjoy

100_9223.jpg
      100_9224.jpg
      100_9225.jpg
      100_9226.jpg
      100_9231.jpg
      100_9232.jpg
      100_9234.jpg
      100_9235.jpg
      100_9236.jpg
      100_9237.jpg
      100_9238.jpg
      100_9239.jpg
      100_9240.jpg
      100_9241.jpg
      100_9244.jpg
      100_9245.jpg
      100_9247.jpg
      100_9248.jpg
      100_9250.jpg
      100_9251.jpg
      100_9252.jpg
      100_9253.jpg
      100_9254.jpg
      100_9255.jpg
      100_9256.jpg
      100_9257.jpg
      100_9258.jpg
      100_9259.jpg
      100_9260.jpg
      100_9261.jpg
      100_9262.jpg

see here for highres pics

http://lowagz.sytes.net/iw02m/highres/

betty.k
      Participant

well what you lack in words you make up in pics!! 😀

great job! :8ball:

jollyboss
      Participant

what about rear upper plate?
      It seems you can’t switch from MM to RM without swapping all the EB cover.Isn’t this a whole piece with the upper shock holder?
      Anyway very nice model…personally I don’t like the GT convertible,but the model look great

PS:welcome in the SDTC(Stock Diff Trouble Club):D 😀 😀

hakhawk
      Participant

yeh, the top plate is all one piece. i didnt know you could get a rm mount for it?

yeh, im not a huge fan of the gt convertible either, but felt like something different to the gt40 and saleen.

hehe, stock diffs rock!!! NOT. im gonna get a ball diff as soon as i cn. i gotta find my stock mor02 diff and see if theyre the same. i remember reading somewhere that they are, but cant remember where.

rcs2die4
      Participant

Yeah the MR02 diffs are the same !!!

jollyboss
      Participant

I’ve bought my ball diff from toyeast,quite cheap(USD 12 more or less),should be 3racing or topcad…

klims
      Participant

now that you’ve had more of a chance to thrash it around, how are the electronics? typical iwaver quality or something unexpected???

hakhawk
      Participant

ive been slack, havent really used it!! still need to charge those batteries, find my chargers somewhere.

jollyboss
      Participant

lol lol lol

anyway…I’ve to quote that question,need some info about the first(?) FM RX/ESC on 1/24 scale.

For who’s interested in,on toyeast there’re several upgrades for 02m,included CF chassis and upper plate,also very very cheap!!!

hakhawk
      Participant

theyve got em on there now eh? hmm. i want some alloy bits for em, i got some cf sheet coming so i can play with making my own chassis plate with a few extra lengths and possibly using lipo’s for it.

Admin
      Participant

Thanks for the detailed pics! Are those side springs oil fillable? I’m wondering if that type of rear suspension is gonna be any good. I know they weren’t for the that great for the mr-02s

I’m still confused on how well the rear suspension tuning will work on the 02m. does that bottom chassis plate allow the rear end to have up and down movement? Any chance of you testing the car on an RCP track?

hakhawk
      Participant

nah, no chance of getting to a rcp track unless theres one i dont know about in latrobe valley area.

dont think u could fill the rear shocks with oil, theyre a 2 piece design, a shaft slots into the top piece.

looking at the way the rear suspension works, theres little to no movement for the whole diff to move up at once, but the motor mount holders that keep it on the chassis, the front one is elongated. but the chassis flexes more than the mount. but, the sideways action works well, if the car leans one way, the mount will move with it.

its like it needs an elongated holder at the back and shocks over the back of it.

this cuold probably be done with an extended top plate and one or 2 shocks mounted at the back.

ill try and get it outside on the road sometime this week and really open it up, inside is just too small

hakhawk
      Participant

oh, looking at the alloy bits on toyeast last night and the shock setup is interesting. looks adjustable to an extent.

a02103195a.jpg

hakhawk
      Participant

got curious before and ripped a kingpin out of an old iwaver 02 and compared it to the 02m kingpin, the point where the top clip slides in on the 02m is like .2mm taller than the 02, and overall length is maybe .5mm taller. but it fits in fine and the 02m clip works, so those that want stainless kingpins, just grab a set of iw02 ones, not sure if mini z mr02 are the same, but id assume so.

Admin
      Participant

Another thing I wanted to know is if you have a scale to weigh the chassis?

hakhawk
      Participant

no scales unfortunately.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.