iWaver mods – FETs?

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

What mods can be done?

I know the old LXX cars can t be FET modded – anyone got a modded iWaver?

Participant

I beg to differ.
      I fetted my old LXX, the mod worked, but the workmanship was poor. It killed reverse, but like i said, it was my stuff up not the mod itself.

Participant

HI!!:)
      I’m new to this forum and I’m very interested in Iwavers
      I would also like to know if anyone has a fet-moded Iwaver
      Thank you

Participant

yeh i recon i i waver can be fetted the only hard thing will be traking the rite sorta fets (mite not be same chip style as Zs).. wenlcome to the forums ducatwin were u from?…. if ur in melb and interested in 1:24s theres a meet coming up in the next few weeks

Participant

Thnk you for the welcome and the amswer Merc-blue!!!
      I’m from south of France !! So it might be a long way to Australia and Melbourne !!!!:)
      But if i’m in the neighbourhood, I will surely come to pay a visit !!!:smiley2:

Participant

lol gee thnx for making me look stupid. hahaha… PM a resident fetters PH2T has the “whoa nelly” fett which he has in his mini-z monster in i recon it will go into a i waver. check some threads about whoa nelly and then there is Microamps who was one of the first to sell fet jobs in BCG and all other micros …he is also likely to be able to do it

Participant

ph2t’s yet to have a good look at the iw pcb, but after a quick once over he’s found out that the drive fets are “complimentary pkg” fets. this means that there’s an n chan and p chan fet in one package. it should be easy to replace the stock fets with better ones, we’ll keep you updated:8ball:

Participant

yeah, it looks that the iwaver fet’s are pin for pin compatible with the mini-z fets…..

ph2t.

Participant

I’ll post up some pics of the Iwaver’s electronics.

PANA0089.jpg
      PANA0090.jpg
      PANA0091.jpg
      PANA0092.jpg

Edited by – Charlie Brown on 28 May 2004 10:45:41

Participant

Yeah, and as for an external FET mod, this should work, for those who don’t completely grasp the concept of ph2t’s woah nelly turbo…(no offense ph2t 😉 )

http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14725

the diagram:
      http://www.geocities.com/mastermind_sound_solutions/NFUD.html

From top to bottom, the first and third FETs are N channel IRL3705 FETs, the second and fourth FETs are IRF4905 P channel FETs. Apparently they are all TO-220 type FETs, you can get them at digikey.com (for american people), and http://www.rs-components.com.au for Australian people…

Participant

the fets shown in Charlie’s last picture are the fets that need to be removed.

if you’re going to go external then Nelly is way better. The design Charlie links is good but the FETS are selected for the wrong reasons.

you don’t need insanly high current capable fets when you design for ultra low on-resistance. The low on-resistance in the fets is what gives you such high torque. the design above has a low on-resistance yes, but NOT as low as what Nelly can do ;).

Given Nelly’s ultra-low on-resistance, the size of the fet can be smaller, this is because the fets in nelly don’t dissipate lots of power (less than 1W). test’s have proven this…..

ph2t.

Participant
      Quote:
      the fets shown in Charlie’s last picture are the fets that need to be removed.

if you’re going to go external then Nelly is way better. The design Charlie links is good but the FETS are selected for the wrong reasons.

you don’t need insanly high current capable fets when you design for ultra low on-resistance. The low on-resistance in the fets is what gives you such high torque. the design above has a low on-resistance yes, but NOT as low as what Nelly can do ;).

Given Nelly’s ultra-low on-resistance, the size of the fet can be smaller, this is because the fets in nelly don’t dissipate lots of power (less than 1W). test’s have proven this…..

ph2t.

lol, I guess so, but if you stack FETs, doesn’t the RDS(on) value go down? So if you stack the FETs, there’s less resistance, correct?
      Plus, Nelly has a low resistance, but the power dissipitation is pretty low…

Meh, your call, I’m not pestering anyone to do what I’m going to do.

Edited by – Charlie Brown on 30 May 2004 08:47:30

Participant

stacking fets is for chumps charlie. Go read up on the theory of mosfets and YOU TELL ME why you shouldn’t stack fets…..

ph2t..

Participant

wah?
      we shouldnt stack fets! ARGH IVE BEEN DOIN THE WRONG THING FOR AGES. YOU COULDVE TOLD ME FET STACKIN WASNT A GOOD IDEA.IVE STACKED so many!

Participant

it’s not the wrong thing dude, just a different thing…. it’s cool….chill….

Keymaster

Stacking is not the ‘best’ option… but it’s cheap, easy and works.

If ph2t gets Nelly perfected and so on then the Nelly will be the ducks guts of speed controllers with stacking a staple solution…

However I think if it all comes together well the Nelly will be the also one of the most cost effect speed mods.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Participant

well the nelly is 100% okey dokey on an iwaver pcb, and the stock fets are pin for pin matches to the kyosho ones. so that’s a green light on the iwaver fet department:):8ball:

Participant

can the irf4905 and irl3705 be used on the mini z???

i was suppose to get irf7389 but got the wrong thing………

if it could be use could you show me hot to use them spent 25$ and dont even noe what to do with these fets

thanks

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.