iwaver on the blink

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Author
      mocky
      Participant

Just got the iwaver and its beginning to show some bad signs, the other day my iwaver suddenly started to steer more to the left than the right and wen eva i turn the servo makes a buzzing sounds, ive got problems but does anyone have the solution?

betty.k
      Participant

i had this prob, but to the right. there’s a trimpot on the pcb towards the front that adjusts the steering bias. be very gentle with this pot as it’s easy to damage. mine gradually got worse to the point where it wouldn’t go straight with all trims fully left. i had to bite the bullet and replace the servo pot which is a huge improvement over the crappy stock one. pricey but….:8ball:

Geo-Z
      Participant

mocky,

If you’ve smashed your car rather violently into a wall or something, the steering pot on the PCB may have been wacked outta alignment. it’s a small ring set within a prominent raised component on the circuit board, with a CROSS shaped hole in the middle. It’s a risky thing to have right, so do a search on all major mini-z sites for it……

Geo-Z
      Participant

BTW mocky i think you have my cross head screwdriver…i am missing it from last sunday and i confirmed neither dgs, jay-z, talldude nor kevsta has it. I’ll need it back next sunday.

mocky
      Participant

sorry geo but i dont have it either.

dgs73
      Participant

what’s it look like Geo? I’ll wager I know who’s nicked it…

mocky
      Participant

LOlz a wager! I have a feeling fingers are goin my direction, but seriously i dont have it i have all the screw drivers i would ever need.I’ve turned ova my room twice and i still havent found anything suspicious except a banana peel.

Edited by – mocky on 07 July 2004 17:41:52

peteWah
      Participant

Who else was there other than who was mentioned and i guess it leaves only one pep:smiley2::smiley2::smiley2:

Keymaster

Well it _wasn’t_ me 😛

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

dgs73
      Participant

and I was so certain it was too… hehehe. Nah Mock, i’m not pointing at you matey. Iknow one person down there who’s light fingered with others lighters, so why not a screwdriver now and then? Pete; where’d you disapear to last night? oh, forest, btw.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I’m sorry geo, it was me, i’ll give it back asap :D:D:D

Keymaster

😯

There may be an International gang of tool thieves in operation!

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

dgs73
      Participant

and here I was thinking Bithed had borrowed it… stashed it in your j string, did you Jamie?:clown:

Geo-Z
      Participant

whatever. their cheap anyways.

Geo-Z
      Participant

whatever. their cheap anyways.

dgs73
      Participant

now you’ve said that, the guilty party will be eyeing off other tools and stuff… keep eyes open dude. We’re a little to free and easy with both our tools and our toys…

TallduDe
      Participant

i did a qik check i aint got any of your stuff dude.

i get paranoid when i see strangers come up to us and stand near our stuff :dead:

btw mocky hows the iwaver? still got those probs?

mocky
      Participant

well today the whole thing just died. It was working fine in the morning but in the arvo i decide to whack it out for a bit of fun and it a bit fuzzy. Wen i was first running it was a bit sluggish, didn’t turn well and then it just died. It wouldnt move and i was only 5 metres from it. Picked it up and the steering was still barely alive and den that gave up on me a few minutes latr. now all the car can do is make weird whizzing sounds. very :angry: atm.thought it was working and den it decided to break down. everyone down a meadowbank can have a bit of a poke around this sunday. HEHHEHEHEEE hope some1 can revive it.

kevsta
      Participant

Might be your personal hand wound motor – fets burnt out perhaps.

Probably should have let it be rather than going over it with the solder iron.

Gotta give em time to burn in properly…

mocky
      Participant

dunnoe bout the motor, it was working for hours and hours b4 it died. AS for goin ova it with a soldering iron, it was 3 days ago, working fine till today. I really have nod idea wat went wrong, but needs to be solved, my folks are givin ye old lecture againsblackeye:. lets hope ph2t or jamie can rememdy dis.

merc-blue
      Participant

if the steerings dead then it cant be fets casue u would stil hae servo drive fets just not motor drive fets

Tim
      Participant

mocky is the batteries that are dead that has happened to me before:smiley2:or lose wires? :question:

Geo-Z
      Participant

mercblue’s right, if the steering is kaput, then it may be a loose wire in the power structure….or maybe that motor drew too many amps and the battery terminal springs have deformed themselves. This once happened to mine, the turbo shorted out and the battery terminals got heated to the point they lost their springyness. simplypull out the springs again with a plier….

mocky
      Participant

ok, ive opened the thing up, all the battery terminal are still soldered in and the springs still springing.

mocky
      Participant

okay any1 believe in a god? cos at 8:42pm Friday i witnessed a miracle by one!
      i decided to give the iwaver one last try, and i wacked in some old alkalines i had laying around, and BAM! The kitten purs again MWHAHAHHAHAA. So any1 shave me like a monkey, time to whip out the booze and celebrate.

Edited by – mocky on 09 July 2004 20:45:34

Tim
      Participant

Hahaha i was right it was the battery wasn’t it:smiley2:

mocky
      Participant

no bloody idea wat was stuffed in the pcb , btw i was runnign some charged nimhs wen it got screwed and i replaced it with alkalines latr on.At this point i dont care, it works, good enough for me 😀

Geo-Z
      Participant

mocky, sometimes the short goes all the way back into the batteries, so the batteries might have shorted out……my NIMH’s once shorted out, they were so hot it smoked! after 6 hours, they seem to go back to norm…..

mocky
      Participant

mmmmmmmmmm, i noe that smell, happens to portable mini fan, afta i modded it with 18 guage wire. brings bak memories. everything is bak to normal so all is well in the house of mocky.

peteWah
      Participant

Cooking batt cells hey, somthing wrong there.blackeye:

dgs73
      Participant

good to see things are sorted out mate… odd bout the batteries though

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

According to betty.k, the i waver swith is in series with the power supply, which is a stupid, stupid, stupid thang.

This could be a problem with using NIMHs, as they pass more current than alkalines, and may be owning the switch.

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.