Jamie FETs

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Barrelll
      Participant

Hey Jamie

Dont suppose you know how to solder FETs to the mini z ?

Let me know mate

VR-4
      Participant

if you need help on how to solder them i know a site with some good tips and pics of how to so just pm me and let me know

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I am not sure, as i havent got mine yet, but i think its pretty simple. Ill do mine and see how i go then give you a hand with urs.

Keymaster

*nods* It’s not hard, just fiddly 😉

I’ve got 40 FETs sitting in a tube in front of me right now 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Feeling Generous?? j/k ive got a pack of 12 coming today hopefully.

VR-4
      Participant

there easy

jazza_1984
      Participant

haha

GT-ahh
      Participant

ok when u guys install the fets
      first take the batteries out… 1 killed 2 fets cause i was too laszy to take the batteries out…

after full throttle for half a second then touch the fets to ur bottom lip..if u burn urself, theyre not installed correctly..check the solderjoins…
      then gradually throttle for longer periods of time till ur sure theyre good…

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I got mine right first go 🙂 I found that if you glue them in a stack, then place a zip tie around them, it makes soldering easier.
      An idea for a simple heatsink…use a piece of solder wick, soaked in solder, and solder it onto the 3 common outputs. Makes the job easier.

Remove the big block thing on the pcb (the black thingo) and solder on the stacks.

Be careful desoldering the chips, i managed to lose 2 pcb pads and man it was a headache, i had to retrace the Tracks on the pcb and solder flying wires.

GT-ahh
      Participant

yeah i lost a track on my pcb too…
      make sure u test the fets by touching them to ur lip..if they burn you, they havent been soldered correctly…

Barrelll
      Participant

so jamie have you got your mini z with FETs flying now? If so you reckon you can do mine and jarratts sometime soon? Let me know when your ready.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Now That I know what to do, all the tricks and stuff to get it right, i rekon i could give it a shot Josh. My car ain’t flying cause the servo gear is broken again and I don’t have my plasma dash motor yet.

GT, i didnt have any problems with the stack getting hot, i just checked all the connections with a Multimeter and its all sweet.

Barrelll
      Participant

just pm your address jamie

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Barrelll, check ur PM’s

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.