Jaycar Clones

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Pork_Hunt
      Participant

*First time poster in BCG forum*
      I dropped into Jaycar earlier this week, looking for a 4AA battery holder (side by side don’t seem to exist anymore). As I was leaving I spotted some 1/64 cars under the counter. They looked good, but I was in a hurry and didn’t get a chance to go over them thoroughly. Anyone know anything about them, they aren’t mentioned on the Jaycar website.

jazza_1984
      Participant

havent ever seen them in the local jaycar down here in tassie

ph2t
      Participant

Did you happen to see how much they were going for?

ph2t.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Were they in a plastic ‘bullet’ shaped dome??

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

They were about AU$30.
      They were in either a pressed plastic pack (like the HSV’s) or a box, bit vague now 🙂

micro_Amps
      Participant

They come both ways, the single speed cars come in a plastic sealed pack, like the HSV cars. The two speed cars come in a box.
      They are the same price too, $29 or $34 I cant quite remember though. They are dual cell, but use 2 1/4AAA cells, NiMhs. The dimensions are smaller than BCGs, more the size and scale of a Keyence MadTune. Wheels are tiny, have rubber tyres, and the rear axel is captive. They are not using the same signals as a BCG or ZipZap, but it is tha same as an Enertec car. They use the PT chipset for those who are technically minded.
      This means it runs the same as a BCG, 2 speeds forward and reverse, and the steering is the same as a BCG. The controller on the 2 speed version is a bit strange, it feels like it will break when you twist it, which is what you have to do to drive the car. They go reasonably fast and need more than a table top to get to full speed.
      They are a bit of fun, but dont compare to BCGs for controllability and theres no hop-ups for them.
      :)uA

leonli17
      Participant

micro_Amps: did u get them in melbourne? if u did, where did u get them?

And could anyone post some pics of those jaycars?

trash
      Participant

check their website, you can mail order from them too.

http://www.jaycar.com.au

micro_Amps
      Participant

LeonLi17 I have seen them for sale at both the Melbourne city store and the Frankston store.
      Here’s a link with pics

Edited by – micro_Amps on 11 August 2003 14:03:50

barto_85
      Participant

they look bigger and more to scale. Has anyone got one of them, are they worth the money?

Admin
      Participant

Can I just say that if you are after a clone, go for the Tandy version. I’ve got a PT Cruiser (they also have a WRX) and it kicks shit over my cousin’s tomy skyline. it has heaps more power, 3 times the battery life, and proportional accelleration. I got mine for $29, i think they are now down to $26.

Alex H

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

I spotted the Jaycar clones at the Springvale Rd & Highway store.
      I gotta agree trialex, I have one of those enertec turbo cars, got mine at Big W, love it.

RacerX
      Participant

those tandy ones are $19 in myer in launceston at least the last I saw they were. I dont like’em they use AAA’s instead of AA’s all my other cars are AA so I buy bat’s in bulk lots of 40 saves cash.

DaveF
      Participant

Does anything from them fit the BCGs?

merc-blue
      Participant

has ne 1 seen the tanks cause last weekend i was in jaycar on abecket street n they had a couple tanks behind the counter

Prowler3
      Participant

trialex and racerx,,
      i ve seen em in gracies for $20’s but a formula 1 version. I saw sum in a cheap market in sydney for 10!!!

The jaycar clones are perfectly to scale and are based on cars from 2 fast 2 furious. There is an eclipse, skyline, supra and something else. They are painted slightly difeerently though! they are $30.

Admin
      Participant

I still think the Tandy ones are the best fun.

HobbyCo in Sydney is selling no-name asian imitations for $12. I bought one to take apart to see how it all worked, especially the steering, as I’m looking at microUAV’s (essentially remote control planes under 6 inch wingspan carrying a video camera) for my thesis at uni.

The HobbyCo ones are quite inferior in charge/playtime, top speed and the steering is pretty weak compared to other brands

Anyway, they are good fun for destroying though.

trialex

Prowler3
      Participant

i seen them, i thought they were $6????

trash
      Participant

Hi Trialex,
      I’ll have to get my pics up of my mini cam wireless tanks with their remote camera.
      I have heaps of video transmitting gear that i’ve built (Ham Radio/Television) and some lately that I’ve bought. Transmitter power up to 100W
      and frequencies up to 75GHz.
      I’ve been playing around with the small wireless
      cameras on my RC helicopters and the small RC planes, though not as small as 15cm wingspan.
      I’m still up on +30cm. I did see one picolight
      rc plane a few weeks ago, they wanted $300 for it
      and that didn’t include half of the RC gear.
      Putting a PIC chip on it to control it would be very easy, but getting a video camera on it would
      be tough. I have small camera’s, but not that small. The I could get a 500mW UHF transmitter on board easy, but powering such a monster would
      become a major problem. You might like to look at
      some of the rocket mini cams. I can fit them into
      a 1 inch tube easy, but the power to weight ratio
      is more than enough to lift them and the batteries. If it isn’t, then external boosters solve that problem. Brute force solves most problems.

Admin
      Participant

That would be cool. What do you use to trigger still cameras?

Fortunately the uni has bought a camera/transmitter combination to use in flight testing. It is a swann microcam which we have modified to run off the lithium polymer flight batteries.

http://www.swann.com.au/products/security/microcam/microcam.htm

the microcam is pretty cool. 20grams including camera, transmitter and antenna.
      Unfortunately i dont get to take it home though…

what size and weight are your home made cameras? are they based on premade PCB/lens combinations like you can get from dick smith?

looks like i should be looking at some amateur rocketry sites too…

trialex

micro_Amps
      Participant

Just an update on the Jaycar cars (toysworld cars)
      they are out of stock of the 2 speed cars (in Victoria) and wont have any more for a few weeks. They have also taken the 2 speed demo cars out of display too so you cant play with them.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.