Jaycar Teflon spray ?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      kevsta
      Participant
      trash
      Participant

I’m not sure how much Jaycar is peddling it for, but you can also find the same stuff at a gun shop. There are several brands, it’s cheap and has that nice “just shot up a post office” kinda smell. Actually, a bit like bubblegum ?

betty.k
      Participant

you can get it at bike shops too (both bicycle and motorbike).

i use it on my bike chain, it doesn’t dry out properly if that’s what you want. i probably wouldn’t recommend it in small bearings with small loads based on that as i think it would thicken over time.
      it will however stay on the contact surfaces longer unlike normal oils which are usually pushed away. this is good for my bike chain but i think it will slow down smaller bearings. eg: i don’t use the stuff on my gear cables as it gums them up when it drys making shifting harder quicker.

that’s just my opinion, i could be way off.

the only true dry lube is graphite powder, you can completely wash and dry your bearings and work some of that into them then blow away the excess. i used to do that in my xmod, worked great for me;) :8ball:

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

I just leave bearings alone hehe

with such small loads, they’ll last for ages unless they corrode or experience a thrust (axial) load.

kevsta
      Participant

I actually bought a can to try out on my mini-z bearings for the hell of it. Afterall, a can of this only cost $12.

Anyway, after spraying and giving the mini-z a run the wheels do not free spin as much as they did before the teflon spray. So basically :thumbs_down:

Like what everyone’s mentioned, it’ll probaby work on larger items but not on a mini-z. I guess I should really invest in a smallish air compressor to blow the crap out of my rc bearings rather than rely on a dry lube.

diehard
      Participant

i got myself a 2hp compressor from supercheap auto under $100 and its worth every cent, i cant live with out it…

betty.k
      Participant

you can buy cans of compressed air from jaycar (even dickies);) :8ball:

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

btw, don’t spin your bearings up using compressed air, they can overspeed and get damaged..

trash
      Participant

What about the good old rollerskate bearing oil ? It was really fine and designed for speed.

PandaBear
      Participant

do NOT put drylube into your bearings!

drylube is good for moving parts, especially gears & dogbones
      that are exposed so any grease picks up lotsa dirt.

Bearings are *rolling* so there’s no friction; only at the races.
      drylube always dries into a solid layer, so you’ll gunk up the rolling action.

I use Trinity purple oil for BBs, or Singer sewing machine oil. Less is more.

… although, local bike shop recently did sucker me into buying a tiny
      bottle of “metal treatment” yellow liquid… which I’ve tried on some BBs.
      Can’t say they do much more than thin oil, to be honest.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.