Just got a MR-02 now need some advice

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      diehard
      Participant

hey ppl.
      i just bought a MR-02 (my 1st one) from ebay and i was wondering if there are any special items that i should change straight away it’s got

has a fet stack (not sure exactly how many it has yet)
      aluminium motor mount
      ball bearing motor case
      ball diff
      a set of neo motor magnets

i plan on changing the steering servo gears once its delivered but because its second hand should i be looking at anything in particular…like the fets ???? i dunno

kevsta
      Participant

I gather this was the one on Ebay that sounded to me like it had been accidentally stepped on, as kyosho mr02 battery clips don’t usually crack that easy and the other part of the chassis that was cracked as well. Oh wait, perhaps the owner used the battery clips to remove the batteries, if that’s the case then the rough handling could see them breaking as well.

After ensuring that it works as expected, you should check to see if anything is bent, eg extreme negative camber on the front knuckles, ball diff shaft, wheels which wobble like jelly when running, as well as t-plate tweak.

rcs2die4
      Participant

Hi Diehard,

Heres a little history of this 02 for ya !!!

This 02 was my original 02 !!! I brought it from the states secondhand, I sold it to a mate of mine who sold it to the guy you got it off !! The guy you got it off only had it for a few days and the guy I sold it to never used it, He only had it as a display car as it had my VDS body on it !! so when the new guy got it I brought the VDS body back from him !!! (I missed it too much and it still had not been used since painting !!!:D )

The guy you got it off brought it in a package deal and sold it so he could get more hop ups for his AWD !!!

When I got it, it had dead fets and was fairly stock with only the motor mount being installed !!! I did the FET stack and from memory (which is not very good) It is either 2×2 or 3×2 stack of FET’s that I cant remember !!! (I told you it was bad!!! 😀 )

I brought a shit load of hopups for it but I removed them all bar the motor mount,top shock, ball diff and VDS body when I sold it !!! The guy you got it off put a brand new BB motor case on it before he sold it !!! It had a PN speedy motor in it when I sold it which I think is the guts that is now in the BB can !!! but I’m not 100% sure of this. I can find out for you if you want !!!

The car is in really good nick dude !! The clips were broken from using them to remove the batteries The guy you got it from did this the first time he removed them !!! :gatlin: I’m not to sure what the other part that was broken is, (i’ll ask him about this too)

You wont be dissupointed with this car man, it is sweet !! I only sold it cause I could never get 02’s to handle but I have since purchased a new one and the guys on here have sorted the handling problems for me as I had the same problem with the new one !!!

Heres some links for ya !!
      This one is of your new chassis with my VDS (lola) body on it before I painted it !!!
      http://www.ausmicro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10583

This is a post of all my cars (at the time), Your new chassis is part way down !! it use to have an Enzo body on it then !! this was before I did most of the mods !!!
      http://www.ausmicro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10488

It is also the, from left to right, the 3rd car in on my Avatar !! hehe.. I really should update my Avatar!

Anyway, have fun with it dude ! I did !!

RCS

ph2t
      Participant

diehard, the first thing you should be asking yourself is what surface are you going to drive on the majority of the time? once you tell us that the rest is a piece of cake.. 🙂

ph2t.

diehard
      Participant

@rcs2die4 225410 wrote:

Hi Diehard,

Heres a little history of this 02 for ya !!!

This 02 was my original 02 !!! I brought it from the states secondhand, I sold it to a mate of mine who sold it to the guy you got it off !! The guy you got it off only had it for a few days and the guy I sold it to never used it, He only had it as a display car as it had my VDS body on it !! so when the new guy got it I brought the VDS body back from him !!! (I missed it too much and it still had not been used since painting !!!:D )

The guy you got it off brought it in a package deal and sold it so he could get more hop ups for his AWD !!!

When I got it, it had dead fets and was fairly stock with only the motor mount being installed !!! I did the FET stack and from memory (which is not very good) It is either 2×2 or 3×2 stack of FET’s that I cant remember !!! (I told you it was bad!!! 😀 )

I brought a shit load of hopups for it but I removed them all bar the motor mount,top shock, ball diff and VDS body when I sold it !!! The guy you got it off put a brand new BB motor case on it before he sold it !!! It had a PN speedy motor in it when I sold it which I think is the guts that is now in the BB can !!! but I’m not 100% sure of this. I can find out for you if you want !!!

The car is in really good nick dude !! The clips were broken from using them to remove the batteries The guy you got it from did this the first time he removed them !!! :gatlin: I’m not to sure what the other part that was broken is, (i’ll ask him about this too)

You wont be dissupointed with this car man, it is sweet !! I only sold it cause I could never get 02’s to handle but I have since purchased a new one and the guys on here have sorted the handling problems for me as I had the same problem with the new one !!!

Heres some links for ya !!
      This one is of your new chassis with my VDS (lola) body on it before I painted it !!!
      http://www.ausmicro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10583

This is a post of all my cars (at the time), Your new chassis is part way down !! it use to have an Enzo body on it then !! this was before I did most of the mods !!!
      http://www.ausmicro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10488

It is also the, from left to right, the 3rd car in on my Avatar !! hehe.. I really should update my Avatar!

Anyway, have fun with it dude ! I did !!

RCS

rcs2die4 thanks for all the info on the mr02 it is such a small world isn’t it. if i have any problems with the car i will let ya know……….well everyone will know.my knowledge with the mr02 is well …………..im a newbee i have know experience with em, but cant wait to get my fingers stuck into it.lol i love my mr01 so much i know that my new mr02 is gonna take over my life now well until i get my hands on a MA010.lol i want 1 so bad. but im getting engaged in 2 weeks so i cant fork out more money to get it from shop.ausmirco.com.
      thanks for the info
      diehard

diehard
      Participant

@ph2t 225418 wrote:

diehard, the first thing you should be asking yourself is what surface are you going to drive on the majority of the time? once you tell us that the rest is a piece of cake.. 🙂

ph2t.

hey
      well i think i would love to get it running indoors at home but i only have tile flooring but i must say today i took it to a mates house who has solid timber flooring and it was too slippery.that was with wide wheels. it would be good for a awd. i was doing a good job drifting the ma01 at his house.Once i have the mr02 i might make a track out of rubber like a lot of home jobs but i can get carpet for free so im not sure yet.short pile carpet or rubber????? i will wait and see
      until i get it im still looking for a awd to buy.lol
      between ,my mr01 and my kyosho alpha gp3 im in rc heaven
      thanks

rcs2die4
      Participant

You want to keep away from any carpet, no matter how short it is hay !!!!

yeah, let us know how ya go !!!

diehard
      Participant

@rcs2die4 225447 wrote:

You want to keep away from any carpet, no matter how short it is hay !!!!

yeah, let us know how ya go !!!

cool. what about carpet tiles or astro turf minus the sand? carpet tiles have a real hard surface on them.
      also what about vinyl flooring. i don’t have floor boards at home but….. i can get a nice timber floor look with em.lol

rcs2die4
      Participant

vinyl flooring would be ok as long as it’s not to bumpy and you can find some tyres that will grip !!! wood flooring is sweet to drift on and is ok to race on as long as you have the right tyres !! Astro turf sounds like it may be OK but i’ve never tried it !!! Hard carpet tiles may be ok as long as there not furry like normal carpet and hair doesn’t get stuck in it as your car will find it all !!!

diehard
      Participant

hey i got the mr02 on Friday the car is ok, not in the best condition but the new parts are on there way. goes pretty quick..

My question is im not getting much rang while driving maybe 6m max, then it kinda go’s off by it self and twitches alot, i had a look at the pcb and there was a bit of soldering that i had to be fixed up but still same thing.

it has a fet stack 3×2 and the top 2 fets are both…………..well it looks like its been rubbed down with a wire brush, could this be the problem????? damaged fets???? also the big black plastic box right beside the fets has been damaged by the soldering iron. sorry i dont know what the box is yet.
      last thing i noticed was that the crystal when connected to the pcb is very wobbly(on the car)
      i have tried with 2x diff controllers and still same thing.

so throw me some ideas. thanks

betty.k
      Participant

6m range is crap, something’s wrong.

check the aerial wire, replace it even.

bend the legs of your crystal a tiny bit inwards, just enough for it to fit in the holder firmly :8ball:

diehard
      Participant

well it did help a bit not to much but thanks. im getting about 8m rang now.

🙁

kevsta
      Participant

Even 8M isn’t good. Something is definitely wrong.

Are the batteries in your radio tx fully charged.

Go to a hardware store that sells piano wire, get a piece and make a longer antenna. This might help a little, but with the stock antenna, I get at least 30 metres of range.

klims
      Participant

maybe as troubleshooting you should take off the aerial amd see the range then put it back on and check it again. at least tht way you will know if its an aerial problem

kevsta
      Participant

Something similar happen to this guy who worked on a car with the batteries in it. The antenna wire accidentally touched the battery terminals and from then on he had very little range with it.

diehard
      Participant

well what i did do was clean the piece of metal at the end of the antena wire which was looking a bit dull. so with a rubber i kept on rubbing both sides of it, by the time i had finnished it was looking like it was polished, then i tried it agian and this improved it big time, i use to do this with my old Atari cartridges when they stopped working but your ment to use a ink rubber

im getting like 16m now indoors so today im gona try it out side, but i think this may have been the problem. at 16 it starts to twitch when i accelerate so im gonna halp with the pot on the pcb later.

in regards with the screw touching the battrey terminals, im gonna check that out too as this may be a posiblity also.

rcs2die4
      Participant

OK sorry for the late reply !!!

A few things !!!

1, Which was the part that needed soldering ?? Cause as far as I know I’m the only one that has put an iron near it !! But I will ask the guy you got it off to see if he did anything!!!

2, Now that you say that the tops of the fet are sanded back I remember what they FET’s are !!! I got these FET’s from 3 Iwaver boards that some mates got at the same time and either put FET’s stacks on or external turbos on so as I did all the work I kept there original FET’s and put the stack in my (at the time) MR02 !! Iwaver sand the numbers off the top of there fets or at least you use to !!!

3, I remember from when it was listed on ebay that there doesn’t look like there is any of the little orange cap things on the motor !!!! There should be 2! This will more then likely be why your not getting very good rang !!!

4, The little black box damage was done by me !! :gatlin: (well thats if he hasn’t done anything to it !!) I didn’t have a very fine solder tip for my iron at the time !! But I assure you it still worked perfect !! Like I said I’m sure it will be the little caps for the motor that is causing your problem !!

5, The crystal problem, should have been solved be what Betty.K said !! Just to add to that, check that the legs don’t move in the bottom of the crystal if they do then the crystal will need replacing !!!

Hope this info helps !!!

RCS

diehard
      Participant

answers.
      1, antenna wire, orange wire for the steering and one of the battery wires, all on the pcb

2, cool

3, what are these orange caps you talk about do you have a pic of one? as there are no orange caps on the motor…. do you mean capacitors???

4, what’s that box for???

5, the crystal problem is OK now 🙂

thanks for the tips.. 🙂

betty.k
      Participant

@diehard 225585 wrote:

what are these orange caps you talk about do you have a pic of one? as there are no orange caps on the motor…. do you mean capacitors???

yep, capacitors. you should have 2 104 caps that go from the motor terminals to the can. :8ball:

diehard
      Participant

i put some 103 caps i had on the motor but still same thing. i think that my garage might be the problem its a corrugated iron garage and its funny cause in side the house now its fine(before it was playing up) but out side is the problem. im gonna take it to a old roller hockey ring one of these days to see if its better there, i take my nitro car there all the time and its great and its all closed in so even if it goes off on its own it cant go that far.

but im still open to sum more ideas

rcs2die4
      Participant

mmm
      1, ok I’ll ask him if he has had it open !!!

3, yeah what Betty.k said but i think you have that now sorted !!!

4, would not have a clue what that box does !!!

I had some some glitching probs in my last house which had a corrugated iron roof on the shed !! but not all the time !! another thing you dont have a UHF in the shed do you !!! cause they well screw with ya car big time !!!

Just as a test !!! get someone to hold ya car and go 20m or so away from them with ya antenna all the way up on the TX and see if the car go’s hay wire with you not touching any of the controls !! then do some throttle and so if it go’s hay wire !!

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.