larger engine + turbo Q s ?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      mrbishi
      Participant

Hi Everyone 🙂

Well I ve been playing round with my xspeed now for a lil while and am very happy with it. I have read a lot about people upgrading to more powerful engines and installing FETs or turbos.

Could someone please explain this a little more to me ? I was looking at engines on this site:

http://www.minizworkshop.com/

and the Whoa Nelly turbos. Would a combination of one of these engines and the turbo work well ? How much faster can I expect the Mini-Z to be ?

Cheers,
      Jon

Keymaster

For a start – the “Whoa Nelly” setup is about the best you’ll get in terms of Turbos that are external to the chassis. Hands down no contest.

BUT

FET stacking is great for getting a little boost out of your car and keeping it all stock looking. Even just replacing the stock FETs with a pair of lower resistance (and higher current rated) FETs without stacking does improve things.

Think of it this way, a 5×2 FET stack will cost you AUD25 (using IRF7389 from ausmicro.com) for performance thats still eclipsed by a Nelly.

I’m hoping the new FETs I’m trialling will be about AUD20 and offer greater peformance than the old stuff and will sit nicely as a middle ground.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

dgs73
      Participant

i gotta get a nelly if I can get 60kph outta my old 12 stack of 7389s… motors play as big difference too… try a Plasma Dash…:smiley2: but only after an upgrade to your electronics

mrbishi
      Participant

the Palsma Dash motor seems quite cheap – any reason to get this over one of the minizworkshop.com motors ?

I think the woahnelly external turbo will be the way to go 🙂

Cheers,
      Jon

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      the Palsma Dash motor seems quite cheap – any reason to get this over one of the minizworkshop.com motors ?

I think the woahnelly external turbo will be the way to go 🙂

Cheers,
      Jon

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I was under the impression that a stock plasma dash needed quite a few mods to get it to run better such as neo magnets, carbon brushes, bearings ? Or does it come stock fully loaded with these ?

mocky
      Participant

ur rite on kevsta, gotta get neos brushes and bearings for it to be mean. bearings 5usd, brushes 3usd and neos 6usd. brushes and bearings at rcmart and neo at mzw.
      kevsta how does the mzr motor go with the nelly?

Edited by – mocky on 24 September 2004 16:26:30

dgs73
      Participant

only bearings are really necessary, from what I can tell with mine. New brushes maybe, and I will never again put neos near them. Too much top end loss. so, Mrbishi; to answer your question, yes they are alot cheaper than ‘ready to run’ hotter motors (PN, Atomic, etc.), but You need to add capacitors and wires to the mix. Anything else is up to the owner. Mine has only got bearings and HPI brushes. Have neos in one P.D., will not do it again. Total cost was minimal, especially when you consider I pay someone to rebuild these motors as well. Kev; you know it does’nt. Mocky; it does not NEED neos. Put em in if you want more torque. I prefer top end, hence my opinion of putting neos in. Think about this; neo-ed P.D. top speed of about 40 odd clicks. No neo P.D. is (at the moment) getting me just shy of 60 clicks. What do you think Mocky? Plus neo P.D. will not last as long… mine died after 5 or so runs. Before y’all doubt me, i’ve been running these motors for a while now, and will use no other. And I could quote Kev, saying my gtr w/ Jamie’s donk & 11t pinion is way faster than nelly w/ b.b.ed case and 14t pinion… but that’d just be showing off. Would’nt it Kev:question::smiley2::D

dgs73
      Participant

mrbishi; best to ignore that last post of mine… bottom line, P.D.s are needing abit of work, ie. wires, capacitors and bearings. The stock brushes are ok, but tend to get replaced. Neos are good for adding aceleration, but lose top end speed. Hope this helps.

betty.k
      Participant

you must upgrade your fets, either internally or externally before running any motor that’s hotter than the x speed. eg: dropping a plasma dash in a stock car (electronically speaking) will produce a short run of about 5 seconds before setting off a smoke bomb! the stock fets can only take so much, i personally would stick with the x speed until then:8ball:

mrbishi
      Participant

I understand that I need to either do a FET upgrade or use an external turbo and I have no intention of dropping in a ‘hot’ motor and frying my mini-z. I already plan to get a Whoa Nelly external turbo so now I need to do some more research on engines.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the motors available on:

http://www.minizworkshop.com

Cheers,
      Jon 🙂

betty.k
      Participant

i know that ph2t had a 35t one, it was plenty powerfull:8ball:

Geo-Z
      Participant

Mrbishi,

I have some experience with commercial mod motors. I don’t have the ones on minizworkshop, but i DO have ones from PN, Atomic (egrracing), M’z. The other ones are less well known and thus should be avoided (e:g topcad, gpm motors, although they make GREAT alloy parts, their motors are the achilles heel and never really caught on).

If you are only into faster STOCK motors that can be used on ur stock Z without turbo/fet upgrade, I’d say stick with the Kyosho Xspeed V. OR you can just slap on a turbo or FET upgrade and THAT will give ur stock motor/xspeed wayyy more torque (up the pinion!). I’ve heard twisted tales of other non-kyosho stock motors burning the fets out. There are some who had better luck tho – I’d say the M’z stock motor (i have this, already a teeny weeny bit faster than xspeed) is a good bet. Or the PN speedy practice motor. Beware the latter – it is a known fet-frying culprit.

If your into extreme speed, then the PN RACING series of machine wounds are alright, but generally not fast enough. the PN SO1 and SO2 (35T w/ NEO’s) are capable of 40+kmph, while the SO3 is basically the SO2 in a BB can. EGRRACING and their ATOMIC series of motors are MUCH faster, especially the newer Torque-1 (30T, Neos, 39800 RPM) series. They go from zero to almost max speed quite fast, and NEED a good FET setup. Beware tho; atomic motors are the second most expensive ones, after NML’s SSV2. I’m saving up for a Torque-2 ATOMIC motor, which claims to be over 40000RPM! YOW 😉

DGS’s plasma is way cheaper, but as he said, somethings should be changed before it can used with a Z. Still, the end cost is way cheaper than most FET/turbo motors. From what i’ve seen his plasma has the fastest top speed and is also much quieter than most mod motors.

AS with all motors, it helps to keep the things clean and make sure the drivetrain is as friction-free as possible. Hope this has helped, happy racing 🙂

mocky
      Participant

true dgs, u dont NEED neos, and as ph2t suggested ur beta off with some thick ferrite magnets to get th best top speed, like his ultra dash and we all saw how fast that was and didnt neos have a temperature threshold of 130 degree or something, my numbers mite be wrong, just pulling numbers outta memory.

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      Does anyone have any experience with any of the motors available on:

http://www.minizworkshop.com

Cheers,
      Jon 🙂

I have the minizworkshop 35t, but haven’t tried it yet so can’t really help in answering your question – but bought it because it received a good review from others.

At the moment I’m having too much fun with the xtraspeed xs18-1. I’ve also got a couple for 3racing bb speed motors coming next week and plan to order the i-waver x-speed pro some time soon.

If you’ve got the cash, its best to give a few motors a try to see which one suits your driving style, any z enthusiast will have a few hot motors in their spare parts box.

😀

Edited by – Aaron on 26 September 2004 01:06:38

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

For the last time dave, ive told you that neos dont rev, they need bigger gears…..

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.