Lights, Camera, no action

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Impreza
      Participant

I just did my first light mod. Just the head-lights for now and I seem to not be able to find lamps that do the trick. They either burn out quick or they the 3V battery (tried two types) doesn’t put out enough juice.. I have tried two different types of halogen lights both rated for 3V and am just using some cheap wire (which may be some of the problem- it seems to run a current but is not copper). I was wondering who has had success with do it yourself light jobs, and what components you are using, rating etc… I do have some soldering skill and can read a wiring diagram. Help…

Admin
      Participant

The best ones i’ve seen use white LEDs powered by a lithium CR2016 or 2032 cell.

Admin
      Participant

maybe your doing it in series? the lights should be set up in parrallel to give both lights enough juice. u might already know that so dont bite my head off…

Admin
      Participant

Don’t Use Halogen! Those things take way to much current. You’re batteries won’t last very long. Gomisan is right, use white LED’s. You can pick some up at Radio Shack. They also have blue ones. You’ll have to read the back of the package because they come in different voltages but the blue and white ones are usually around 3V so hook them up in parellel with a lithium battery and you’ll be lighting the way for a long time. If you get red or another color LED they will be lower voltage so you’ll need a stepdown resister in series with the led. If you mail me the specs of the LED’s you’re going to use (voltage and current draw) and what battery you’re going to use I’ll tell you what resistor you need or if you even need one.

-Peter

Impreza
      Participant

Thanks all. Peter I will try to pick up some white/blue LED’s this weekend and if I can find some red ones at the Shack I will let you know my setup for the resistor.

Cheers.

Impreza
      Participant

Oh yeah, what about the wire for the circuit? should I worry what I use?? copper/other??

thanks…

PandaBear
      Participant

Well – Silver has the best technical conductivity, but most wires you’ll find are copper.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.