Lights

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      L337_krew
      Participant

can sum1 tell me where i can get light for an rx7 fd and fc….can i add front lights for them…and if i cant buy the light set for them wat kinda LEDs do i get and where from and where do i connect them to….THANXX!!

VR-4
      Participant

i used white 3mm leds for foglams on my skyline and 5mm and 3mm lights for headlight on my benz.

whare do you want the lights then we can go from there.

L337_krew
      Participant

can i use any LEDs? and do i connect them to da motor clips? or would dat blow up da lights?

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

L337_krew, jaycar 5mm 7000MCD white leds are the bomb, just remove the headlight covers, take out the fake plastic bulb and drill out the hole to accomodate a 5mm LED. An LED needs 3.5 volts to operate, any less and they dont glow very bright, any more and they blow.

If the Leds are connected in parallel, a resistor is needed to drop the voltage to 3.5 volts, i cant tell you off the top of my head, but its probably about 20 ohms or so, not sure tho will get back to you.

The headlights will dim quite alot under acceleration, so i recommend using an 80Mah 3 cell mini battery pack from jaycar(10 bucks or so). This will keep the LEDs glowing at a constant brightness.

Keymaster

Aye – gotta agree with Jamie.

Build the LEDs into the shell, complete with a small battery pack so that they can to operated completely seperate to the Mini-Z. Afterall for serious racing you’d not tbe runnign a ‘show’ shell anyways 😉

--
      Site Owner Guy.

L337_krew
      Participant

how do u get da light to glow more as u go faster? where do i connect the lights?…if i connect it to da motor clip den da lights will blow up …soo yea i want lights glowin wen i speed up

trash
      Participant

LED’s need a ballast resistor or you will blow them up. I forget the formula, but generally, for 5 volts you’d use a 330 ohm resistor ballast on each LED. 4.5V about 270 ohm, 12V, about 1Kohm.
      The ballast also varies for different types of LED’s, but these values ‘will work in most cases’.
      LED’s are polarity sensitive. The long lead is the +’ve.
      I use surface mount LED’s with SMD resistors and
      some nice fine enamel wire superglued to the chassis. I use the main batteries because the
      motor doesn’t miss the 20mA they draw, though for serious racing I think you’d not bother with frills either.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

A pair of 7000MCD white leds is VERY bright, you can see 5+ metres in front of the car. SMD LEDs are too small and not bright enough. If you use the car battery, the headlights will dim significantly when you acclelerate.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.