Lots and Lots of Questions

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

Hello Everyone,

I’m brand new to this hobby, I got a Honda S2000 (27Mhz) for Christmas.:smiley1:

My main problem is that the car will only get 3-4 metres before stuttering. To show that I”m not a total numbskull, I did some quick researching on this. Turned up some interesting FAQs on Crip Caps in the transmitter that avaliablehere and at questformadness and tinyrc.

The thing is, I cannot find a crip cap in my controller as shown in the pictures avaliable, The PCB says that it is a version 3 controller, and when I count capacitors, I find 10, not 9 as the circuit diagram at questformadness shows. There was an unmarked ceramic capacitor on the board, and taking it off had no impact on the range. And I can’t tell what the capacitor might have been there for. Should I put it back? Or was it really a crip cap, but something else is effecting my range?Is there a crip cap in the car itself?

Since I’m asking questions anyway, Tomy Bit Racer = Hot Wheels K.I.T Racer? I’ve seen the K.I.T. racer, and the motor thats included looks like 2.6 on some of them. Do the motors have the same color scheme? What about the gears? Is it just me or are there a more gear ratios avaliable for the KIT racer? I’m asking this because I would like to get some mods for my bit, and AUD$24 seems pretty cheap for a motor AND a gear set.

One more thing, (Hrmm… gee, this is getting lenghty.) Is there a good place to buy Japanese Bit Char-G in Melbourne? I’ve checked at Hobby Place on Lonsdale street, but at AUD $90 that is an absolute rip off!

Admin
      Participant

ok first thing, there is no cripple cap on a compact char-g,i cant help with the other q’s about this sorry.

kit-racer+bit racer, hot wheels bought the division i believe.

in the K.I.T racer you can use, the motor, the gearset-sometimes due to the lower ratio the gears do not turn aswell. the tires, the spare battery and the heat sink

Admin
      Participant

Thanks Shypo,

If there are no crip caps in a compact char-g, then what did I pull off the transmitter? hrmm… I’m wondering if it was a timing capacitor in the charging side of the circuit… (Since there didn’t seem to be a difference in the transmission.)

Another thing, I can’t seem to double charge my char-g. Once it finished charging, I take it off, and put it back on and the charging led doesn’t go on. If I wait a while, like 20-30secs then I can charge it again… I”m not sure if this is due to me pulling that cap off or not.

So the motors in the KIT racer are exactly the same as the char-g? Great! that means I can get a 2.6 cheap!

Admin
      Participant

yes the motors are exactly the same. double charging is really very good for the battery tho as the battery can overload and doing this alot can make the car run less and slower

micro_Amps
      Participant

Crom there is a crip cap on the car pcb, its tiny but removing it should increase range. I dont have the link but keep looking on the net(and here in the tech section)and youwill find the mod.

Ebay worldwide is probably the cheapest place to buy BCGs as far as I know. You can get some (Tomy) models for $US 19.90 plus $10 postage. $US29.90 is about $50.50 in Ozzie dollars. Or you can ring around toy stores / myers to see if they have any Compact Char-g stock left but best of luck after Xmas. Compacts limit you to only two frequencies though. Hobby place charges $25AU for a 2.6 motor, better off getting a KIT racer for 24.95 and getting some spareparts for your BCG as well. They are of limited use but what the hell.

bit_charg_oz@hotmail.com sell BCGs starting from $65 but will add postage from Tasmania

micro_Amps
      Participant

Err, and whatever you cut off the transmitter, you better put back on

Admin
      Participant

yeah u better put it back on if it duznt charge proerply

Admin
      Participant

OK most people dont know this……the charger on the transmitter only charges the cell to about 1/8 capacity. A simple constant current charger can properly charge the battery and give 25 mins of runtime off the standard battery.

Ah, why did you choose the 27MHz??? it gives soooo much trouble 🙁

micro_Amps
      Participant

yeah but isnta constant charge going to be a slow charge??? probably a trickle for a few hours with zero temp rise. Or do you think there is a way to modify the charge circuit so that it delivers a fuller charge within an acceptible time? Multiple charging will heat up the battery, killing it eventually, so a longer less current charge is preferable for the batteries sake….but not for mine. What do you think

Admin
      Participant

Okay,

I’ve put back that ceramic capacitor… Like I said, don’t see any visible changes, but that doesn’t mean much…

I still cannot consecutively charge my bit. I still have to wait about 20 seconds before I can charge it again… But let me get this straight… dbl charging is good for the battery right? It won’t kill it right? I’m not talking20+ consecutive charges, just twice. (Then again, if I buy a KIT racer, I get a free spare battery… )

Still trying to find that FAQ or something on the crip cap on the CAR… Anyone got any tips on where to find it?

PS. I didn’t choose the 27Mhz, my gf gave it to me for Christmas.

PPS. My local Kmart still has 10 CCG left… Should I start hoarding? ^_^

Admin
      Participant

Hey,

I’ve found the car crip cap instructions. micro Amps, did you take off the crip cap on your car and did it work? The threads and faq say that this doesn’t always work.

Also, I’m thinking about designing my own charger. I read somewhere that the transmitter charger gives a 1.5 A charge? Umm… isn’t that really large? What current should I be charging at to get a full charge in approx 1 or 2 mins?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.