LXX BCG

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Super Max Power
      Participant

I just my LXX 2-speed BCG in the post and here is what I reckon…

The plastic ‘feels’ more brittle than the Tomy product and it is not finished as smooth (ie. jaggered edges here and there).

The cover has a really bad paint job with air bubbles and marks.

Taking the rear axle off is a bit harder then the Tomy version – it kind of felt like I was going to bend the axle.

The motor and heat sink sit a little differently than the Tomy version. I can only use the motor pinion that came with the car – any other pinion pushes too hard against the step down cog and the car won’t go. However, the perfection motors all fit very nicely into the chassis, unlike the Tomy chassis that I have to use the ram and pray method to get them in.

The steering is well upto par – if not a bit better balanced.

The 2-speed function is a bit of a waste of time as it is. I haven’t taken my finger off it yet(using a 3.8 per motor). On the bright side I am sure the slower speed will be invaluable after Microamps dose his magic on it.

The rubber tires on the back are a bit wonky – all the more incentive to put pullback rims on.

I am glad they included english instructions, they were the funniest attempt at engligh I have ever seen. Well worth a read.

In conclusion the standard car is below par in manufacturing compared with the Tomy product. On the upside if you intend to modify a BCG every which way possible the LXX is the car to get – cheap, 2-speeds and begging for modifications.

VooDooMafia
      Participant

Well sounds like you got a bum car:sad:

What car did you get? I have had very good results with the newer LXX cars.

I would not say that they are the same quality as tomy but I would say the quatity is great for the price you pay.

The 2 speed is good for cornering when moving at high speeds and is much more fun if you do the anti-boost mod.

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

I agree with young SMP, I got the light up beetle set and the 360 modena set. Cheap in both senses of the word. There are better clones out there. The LXX scale racer on the other-hand rocks my world.

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh im bout to buy one for my competition piece… 🙂

titaniumonkey
      Participant

hey pork hunt, would you mind doing a little review ob the light-up beetle too? I wanna see whether it’s worth buying…

VooDooMafia
      Participant

The light up beetle I have from Toy East is great.

It has stick tires, fast motor, lights, 2 speed and handles great.

I have since I got it added some mods to it like fets, larger cell, anti boost mod, 4.2 pro motor.

Sorry to hear you guys have had that feling about LXX everyone that I talk to that has them seem to like them and for less then $10.00 they are a great deal.

TallduDe
      Participant

all the LXX i have are great. for the price they are great bang for ya buck cars :smiley2:

the light up beetle is the best one i have so far, handles very well and is built very well. plus the charge time is alot longer then normal bits, making for longer run times, which is always great.

ive never had any problems with LXX they are cheap and come with extra bodies most of the time so why not, buy em?!

Super Max Power
      Participant

I guess I really harped on the negatives of the car a bit too much. But in the words of Samuel Jackson “Aside from how it looks, the car’s cool.”

What’s the anti-boost mod and why would you want to anti any boost?

VooDooMafia
      Participant
      Quote:
      I guess I really harped on the negatives of the car a bit too much. But in the words of Samuel Jackson “Aside from how it looks, the car’s cool.”

What’s the anti-boost mod and why would you want to anti any boost?

The antiboost mod makes it so that car is always on boost and you push the boost button to slow down not speed up.

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

Once again, I agree with SMP.

I swapped my light up beetle to shadow_sabre, on the proviso he paid the shipping on our latest TE order :D. I have only run it a couple of times but here is my review. (It remained unopened for 7 whole days because my new LXX Scale Racer was/is just so damn good)

Light Up Beetle
      ’tis a fine piece of machinery… for it’s price.
      Up until now I hadn’t had an LXX/Perfection anything.

LOVE the original 3.0 with black endcap, torque-y, good top speed, it just doesn’t like non-turbo much.

Tyres are soft and slick. Really soft. Like, remember elephant balls from primary school, foam covered in vinyl, that kinda soft. But sadly they are flawed. They have an ugly seam running around them that just puts me off them. Seem to go alright tho. (boom boom, chish)

TX/RX range varied. Easily fixed, remove the crumby original piece of wire, drop in some CAT5. Replace stock controller antennea with a clone retractable one. Now the range is pretty good.

Steering is very nice. Probably as good as the best micro steering I have come across.

The shells (one each of green and red) are okay at best. Dags, scuffs and inconsistencies all over, but then again, it’s more accurate that way :). Seriously though, the green one is one of the nicest shades ever! The plastic is also stiffer and more brittle-feeling than TOMY plastic, but at least it is clear.

Controller is okay, but I hate that “took took” noise that char-g’s HAFTA make!!! Not really a strike against the LXX but it really does shit me. It is much easier on the eyes than a TOMY one I think, light, translucent, blue and clear.

The battery in mine is a stinking NiCad. It still gets like 5 minute run times, but I expected at least a 120mAh Nimh, GRRR.

The gears (as expected) are noisey, not too bad, but not TOMY quiet.

In summery, great 2nd, 3rd or +++ car and damn good value for money, but just doesn’t have the refinement of a TOMY Compact Char-g. Would I buy another one? Absolutly, but not with my last blue beer ticket!

titaniumonkey
      Participant

ah, that makes me want to buy one too (the beetle)

VooDooMafia
      Participant
      Quote:
      ah, that makes me want to buy one too (the beetle)

For the price you will like it and they toss in the 4.2 motor aswell plus some other stuff.

I love the new lxx stuff coming out now 🙂

BTW check out the super perfetion stuff (SBCG clones) they are good for there price aswell.

titaniumonkey
      Participant

voodoo, why are you saying they will toss in a 4.2? Wouldn’t it make more sense to make us buy a 4.2 instead of giving us a 4.2?

Super Max Power
      Participant

Yeah titanium – I got a free 4.2 pro with my car. Hey, I’m not going to complain.

VooDooMafia
      Participant
      Quote:
      voodoo, why are you saying they will toss in a 4.2? Wouldn’t it make more sense to make us buy a 4.2 instead of giving us a 4.2?

Thats just the deals they have with there LXX & perfection stuff.

They had one deal were you got 2 LXX chassies 4 bodies and 2 4.2 motors(plus all the stuff that came in the 2 box sets) for $13.50

TallduDe
      Participant

have you got the SBCG lxx cars VooDoo???

are they good?

VooDooMafia
      Participant

They are on there way now should be in the next few days. I will post something when I get them but I am sure I will be happy 🙂

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.