Lxx Channels

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      PandaBear
      Participant

Wow! Oh yeah, that definitely looks like its had a swim in seawater… but strangely the case looks unaffected. Wierd!!

Electronics aren’t usually affected directly by water (can usually rinse saltwater off with freshwater) but your biggest worry is the SWITCHES. Water will always kill the contacts first – this is probably why you’re getting it working intermittantly.

The “IC” missing solder might be ‘normal’ as depending on the chip not all the legs of a DIL package are used, some are only there for the ride.

BUT on all the soldering that I *can* see — is it all very DULL and BLOBBY?? This is a sure sign of ‘dry joint’ and lousy soldering. Good joints should look shiny silver and it flows in a nice curve between pad and component leg.

Not impressed with LXX… :smiley11:

GT-ahh
      Participant

man get a can of ultrasolve or other electronic contact cleanerit cleans off all corrosion and excess flux.

Admin
      Participant

I wanted to show people what the board was like on delivery. if I can be bothered i’ll resolder it. The solder job is pretty dodgy.

I’ll also try giving it a clean, but as mentioned.. it has probbaly stuffed the microswitches so not much point.

I’m waiting to hear from the retailer, they may want it back (I’m hoping for a replacement!)

PandaBear
      Participant

The microswitches are easy replacements, even the Tomy ones aren’t of the best quality. Wouldn’t need much skill to replace them.

Actually, if I had to replace mine… I’d be real tempted to junk them all and then also throw away the big square plastic buttons too. Wire up some real momentary switches on a new front panel and you might have a nicer control too.

Megatip:- see if you can find a used PC joystick or videogame gamepad… and use that as the switches instead.

Admin
      Participant

Hey, thats an awesome idea… I may still have some old gamepad around that I can junk for the switches… hell that could make quite a nice controller too!

I’ll have to give this soem thought andif i do anything i’ll pop details online. Won’t be overnight though 🙂

PandaBear
      Participant

Who still has an ATARI joystick?? :smiley10:

(The slim square one with the single red “boost” button – nyah hah hah!!)

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.