mad arse ATOMIC bb cans

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      ph2t
      Participant

You’ve all seen them. I gots a question from jimmmy via PM today:

jimmy wrote:
      have u thought about putting a plasma dash armiture in Atomic HE BB Motor Case (M1 Endbell)
      http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/Atomic-HE-BB-Motor-Case-Kit-(M1-Endbell)__13636.aspx

I haven’t done this, has anyone? Would be interested to know if you have to hack the motor can like I explain in my plasmatomic tutorial…

See, jimmmy, better to ask the group than PM single people…. 🙂

cheers,

ph2t,

jimmy
      Participant

put an x-speed pro armiture in it and it would be faster than the chili maybee
      x-speed-20 turn
      chili-35 turn

ph2t
      Participant

“fast” is a product of the motor’s torque and it’s ability to get over any drivetrain resistance.

What would be a fast, low wind motor, most likely has no balls…Therefore the actual fast speed could easily be shit in comparison to it’s higher turn brethren..

hakhawk
      Participant

i stuck one in, from memory, i didnt have to change anything, but its been a while.

Traveler
      Participant

Haven’t done that yet, but built my first UberDash and broke it in last weekend. Man is it sweet! Think it hit 37kmh on my dyno. Nice and smooth, not to mention fast, on the track. Can’t wait to put it in my new Spider 4.0 Gen1. Thanks for the tutorial on the UberDash ph2t!

:beer:

ph2t
      Participant

Good stuff mate! Happy to see the old motor tutorials still finding some use after so many years!

My only advice Traveler is that you start out on the lowest pinion. See how you find the temperature of the uberdash and then work your way up from there.

I take it you’re running the AWD kit in that gen1?

cheers,

ph2t.

jimmy
      Participant

if u look at the pic of the chilie it hass a spepical caps location does it come qwith thoes caps of do u have to do it the nrmal way

Traveler
      Participant

Thanks for the tip ph2t. I love that motor!

So far its only done time in an XMODS EVO with a Spider v2.1 and an 8 tooth pinion. Will try it in the Gen1 v4.0 soon, but also with an 8 tooth. I just prefer the smaller pinions and the UberDash is plenty fast with the low gearing.

No AWD. Used to have it in all my super fast cars. But after I got an RCP track I realized its no longer necessary. Cars have pleny of traction and run much better in RWD with the right tires.

Traveler
      Participant

Don’t mean to hijack this thread, but…

I understand the Jet Dash is one of the best/fastest/badest Tamiya motors. I have a couple sitting around and was wondering how they would compare to the UberDash if the Jet Dash armature is used in place of the Ultra Dash armature. Has anyone tried this???

Hoping ph2t can weigh in on this. Thanks!

Traveler
      Participant

Decided to build it since the wife is out for a while. Used the Tamiya Jet Dash armature, a PN BB can with new endbell, Atomic neo mags. All just laying around still in the plastic. The motor is breaking in now and I will post results once I get it in a car. If it is worthy it will need a new name.

One interesting thing is it spins in the opposite direction than my other motors. While looking at the shaft from the front of the can (the end the pinion goes on) my motors spin clockwise. This one spins counter clockwise. Guess I put the magnets in backwards? Will have to do some research to figure this out. Any help is appreciated.

In the mean time, any suggestions for a cool name are appreciated…

ph2t
      Participant

lol, good stuff…but you’re incorrect about one thing. The plasma dash will always be the bad boy! haha…

anyways, you’ve managed to do something I never did. I yried to find the elusive jet dash for while there on ebay. found some but the price was high (between 35 – 40AUD). this was a couple of years ago though.

What does the armature look like, got a cam Traveler? some photos of the guts would be cool. What’s the size of the commutator? is it like all the others in the 4WD family of motors?

I would do this:

jet dash arm.
      polished (like a bloody mirror) comm
      original jet dash magnets
      pn bb can.
      fresh set of carbon brushes
      broken in fwd direction on 1.2V for 1 – 2 hours, dry.

that would be killa. 🙂

now put that in on the lowest pinion possible with the highest gear ratio and start there.

If you’re driving mainly RWD rigs then you don’t need the neo’s as exclusively. that’s what I reakon anyways. But you gotta start on the lowest pinion. The ferrite mags in the Jet Dash are meant to be IT. lol..

good luck dude.. 🙂

ph2t.

Traveler
      Participant

Its still breaking in. Got busy today and had friends over for the last five hours, so I neglected to keep changing the batteries all evening. Now the kids are in bed, so its time to play 😉

Will follow ph2t’s directions but will need some help.

How do I polish the commutator?
      What about my rotation problem? Are the magnets on the opposite side of the can than where they should be? Will likely open can to switch mags to opposite sides (or swap for original Jet Dash mags as suggested), so will post some pics.
      Carbon brushes being broken in are fresh PN Racing brand. So I got that right!

Although I have most of the Tamiya motors, I don’t remember what the guts look like.

Can’t wait to get it in a car on the dyno and then the track. Hopefully tonight! :smiley15:

ph2t
      Participant

Just change the polarity of the wires, you’ll be fine. If you really want to keep them all the same then yes, swap over the magnets, it will reverse it again, I think!

Traveler
      Participant

Couldn’t get the camera to focus in on the armature. This is the best I could do…

Traveler
      Participant

A little slower on the dyno than the UberDash.

UberDash = 41 kph
      JetDash = 37 kph

But… The modified Jet Dash seems to have more torque than the UberDash.
      Both have a very smooth power band, but when floored from half speed, the modified JetDash seems to lunge forward. It looked like the rear of the car actualy came off the track for a split second and then the car was at the end of straightaway and tumbeling end over end.

I just wish I had a way to actually measure torque. AtomicMods has a new toy that measures rpms and torque and they have nice graphs for most motors on their site as well as an article on the subject at http://www.atomicmods.com/Categories/Article—Interpreting-A-Motors-Power.aspx I know the guys over there, and if I send them the 2 motors they may be willing to test them both. But I’m not ready to part with either as I love them both!

In short, the UberDash is a great motor, but this modified Jet Dash may give it a run for its money on a shorter course. Will continue to play with both and see if one is clearly better. Although that is more a matter of taste!

Thanks again ph2t for all your insight and for the UberDash!

Cheers!:beer:

jimmy
      Participant

found this on you tube
      LUKEMELIKIAN (10 months ago) the chili is only fast 4 the can
      i ahve a plasmatomic
      the chili can with the plasma dash arm
      i also hand-wind my own motors under 20t ill post up vids when i get in the parts and start making them

is he on this site

CowboySiR03
      Participant

Not that it matters but I found these pictures in my file of RC stuff of theJetDash armature.

I liked it a lot as a basis for a really fast motor but I found it only really useful on four cell aaa…anything more is just waaayyy too much power.

TamiyaJetDash005.jpg

TamiyaJetDash004.jpg

TamiyaJetDash003.jpg

I have other motors that are smoother low to mid range but for my liking the Jet shiines at full tilt.:D

jimmy
      Participant

got me self a chili looks sick but havent installed spider v4 yet
      check out this insane FET stack

jimmy
      Participant

found this specs on all mini 4wd motors
      http://www.geocities.com/alotstore/tips.html

jimmy
      Participant

pht2 have u seen this 65075 rpm at 4.8v 6.86 amp draw
      http://www.pimpmymod.com/index_files/Page2500.htm

jimmy
      Participant

any one got a atomic chili, will it push a 11t pinion or will it lag to much

jimmy
      Participant

test123456789test

jimmy
      Participant

ytdjdtyjfyjfg

ph2t
      Participant

@jimmy 227250 wrote:

pht2 have u seen this 65075 rpm at 4.8v 6.86 amp draw
      http://www.pimpmymod.com/index_files/Page2500.htm

Yeah, I’ve seen that stuff mate. The xmod scene in the US sort of made for crazy motor sales. Most of these motors are bastardised mini4WD motors from Audely and other chinese oem’s…..

Motors like these were a good example of the differences in an xmod enthusiast and a mini-z enthusiast.

Xmod drivetrains are like a solid night of ACDC on the stereo pumping at 11 on the dial…..

Mini-z’s are more like the 3rd movement from Beethoven’s moonlight sonata, classic speed with nimble power…

Their owners are similar, lol….

jimmy
      Participant

ive alwayed liked classical music

Admin
      Participant

@jimmy 227248 wrote:

got me self a chili looks sick but havent installed spider v4 yet
      check out this insane FET stack

lmao! love it! What type of FET is that skyscraper built out of?

jimmy
      Participant

duno found it on the net

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.