me grouse aussie ute!

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      betty.k
      Participant

all this recent body modding and the show us your bits comp have inspired me to give it a crack myself. what with this being the grousest aussie micro rc site, i thought i should make the grousest aussie motoring icon, (apart from the road train!:smiley2:t) ………..the ute! (that s a pick up truck to y all from the states).
      started out wiyh a precious clone body and cut the rear section out
      bareute.jpg.jpg
      bareute2.jpg

i ve since added a blower to the bonnet and given it it s final details and last clear coat. just waiting for it to harden fully before i add head/tail lights. i m going to be putting it on a shen qi wei chassis with a full size wheel mod, springy swaybar suspension mod and a guitar string aerial. did i mention i m painting the tx to match?! here s a pic of the drying product.
      paintedute.jpg
      i ll try to get a real digi cam for the final pics.
      i ve also got a little project on the go for off road lovers, stay tuned……….:8ball:

Edited by – betty.k on 05 December 2003 14:26:31

ph2t
      Participant

nice transformation there man! can’t wait to see the final product!

ph2t.

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

NO a ‘ute’ isn’t a pick up. A ute is based on a car, therefore the only thing US that qualifys as a ute is the original Ford Ranchero, which was based on the first series of Falcon (and sold here as the Falcon Ute). Most people just call everything a ute, even though it’s technically incorrect.

Anyways, nice work.

barto_85
      Participant

real nice work on the body, great colour too.

TallduDe
      Participant

i like that man.

looks like you put some detail on it. i like the front grill work you did. nice.

Impreza
      Participant

yes nice work on the front grill. Are you sure you haven’t done this b4;) Hey Oldtamiyaphile, what about that subaru baja? Would that qualify as an ute?

betty.k
      Participant

well whatever it is, it’s finished! i’m very happy with the result.
      ‘prez; i used to make models when i was a little fella, but that was 20 years ago! it’s just like riding a bike, only now i have the gift of patience!:smiley2:

now i gotta get back to it, i’m excited about my next body mod.:p just think ‘paris dakar rally’:8ball:

Edited by – betty.k on 10 December 2003 18:38:43

brendan
      Participant

that is awsome man, and a i real nice colour to, great work.

betty.k
      Participant

thanks heaps!:approve: i love the colour too. it’s tamiya “TS-49 bright red” if you’re wondering. i did 2 coats of white undercoat, 2 coats of red and about 6-7 coats of clear (kept getting last minute ideas!). i used some loose weave silver ribbon for the center grille and hand drew the little ‘holes’ on either side, and the tarpaulin straps on the back:8ball:

Edited by – betty.k on 05 December 2003 20:08:17

Impreza
      Participant

Looks nice. One Q? did you hand paint the windows or did you re-tape and spray? Can’t tell from the pic.

Super Max Power
      Participant

That car is beautiful
      I mean bea-ute-iful

betty.k
      Participant

lol:D i geddit!!
      impreza, i did the undercoat and red over the whole body, then the windows and detail. i cut the windows in with a sharpened toothpick then filled in with a brush. i just touched up some bits where i went over the lines with a toothpick and the red. they were originally going to be clear, but i stuffed up the first paint job and the thinners made the plastic cloudy. in fact i stuffed up lots, i broke the shell twice during the whole process!!blackeye: (good ol’ super glue!):8ball:

leonli17
      Participant

One of the best ideas i ever seen. The paintjob is absolutely awsome.
      Using a Celica Shell to make a ute is cool idea. There is actully a real one called “Crusing Deck”.
      Link: http://www.supercars.net/cars/2000@$Toyota@$Celica%20Cruising%20Deck%20Conceptg.html

betty.k
      Participant

aah, so that’s what shell it is! love the real one, i was thinking of adding a rear spoiler but i didn’t want to over complicate things:8ball:

DaveF
      Participant

nice work.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Yeah looks good, *small round of applause*
      :)uA

betty.k
      Participant

aw shucks!:blush: fanks:8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

i’ve found a better pic host. not sure how to include pics in a post yet, but till then there’s a link in my signature if ya wanna see my goods!:8ball:

barto_85
      Participant

webshots dont allow linking to their pics. but they give you quite a lot of space, so when you want to show something you can only leave a link.

betty.k
      Participant

yeah i thought so. aah well near enough:8ball:

z-beam
      Participant

nice cherry red paint… i did my skyline ute a while back, pity about the acrylic….. i might do a repaint one day…..

check it out….

betty.k
      Participant

i love the flame work! nice job:smiley2::8ball:

z-beam
      Participant

what was your tray cover made out of?

do you like the 4×4?

and are you one of the rare types who can appreciate raising a shell rather than just lowering….

betty.k
      Participant

made the cover out of a bit of black ribbon, glued to some plastic to stiffen it then cut to shape. i love the 4×4, i love a car that wants to get dirty! and yes i’m a shell raiser! out of the 6 bcg’s i’m driving, only one is stock and one has been modded for road use. the rest are raised shell, field ploughing dirt demons! i’m just finishing anothe one now. dual 1/4 AAA cells,2.2 tomy, fullsuspension mod, lights, lego wheels, and a geetar string aerial. oh yeah, and a dessert hummer shell. so far it’s a kick arsse off roader, demolishes anthills when you park over one and floor it!:8ball:

z-beam
      Participant

awesome… the trailer was scratch built and has spring suspension, the truck has aluminium roofracks,fullsize wheels and spring suspension.

ant chasing is sick, but i cant resist runing the bastards down….

betty.k
      Participant

heh heh:D it’s either them or the cats!
      big wheels and raised shells for ever!:8ball:

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.