Micro Hovercraft…

Home Forums Floating & Flying – Discussion Micro Hovercraft…

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Has anyone been tempted by those micro sized hovercraft that ToyEast sell?

Impressions and thoughts?

Seems like a tough thing to make work in micro scale but I really really want one 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

betty.k
      Participant

i’ve seen a mention somewhere. from memory it’s not very micro, about the size of your fist. it comes with a 3 cell pack and it does work. controlling it is tricky but i’m sure it’s fun. probably worth it for the 3 channel radio (stick type):8ball:

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

BRILLIANT!!!!

Keymaster

Yeah Micro and Hovercraft are possibly mutually exclusive… Then againt he worlds smallest RC copter is like 6.9grams

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

trash
      Participant

Have you seen “timethetoolman”‘s bit HC ?
      I’m convinced it’s possible to build them even smaller. I have a 1:1 scale hovercraft and it would be very easy just to scale it down to something the size of a matchbox, ducted fan and all. Hmmm… looks like I have an idea for a competition entry ?? 🙂

bithed
      Participant

…trash a 1:1 scale hovercraft ! dood SERIOUSLY ? You patrol borders with it or something? THAT deserves some pictures for sure !!

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Trash is there ANYTHING you don’t have??:D

One of my dads mates built a hovercraft, had a 8hp engine for lifting and a toyota corolla engine for movement. Very nice called the wasp i think, cause it was black and yellow.

A bloke down south tassie had his hovercraft (which he’d painstakingly built himself) stolen. The thieves couldn’t start it, so they torched it….blackeye:

trash
      Participant

There is a picture of it on my webshots.

http://community.webshots.com/album/92999857CtGlDi

That photo was taken at Putney just down the road from where the guys meet at Homebush.

Admin
      Participant

I have one of those hovers and it actually does work somewhat. Here’s a link to some pics
      http://kvik369.tripod.com/hv.html

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I wonder if they spin around on the spot by default….

trash
      Participant

I don’t see any reason why you could not build a bit HC the same size as a bit car. It just requires a little bit of thought. A rudder is the hardest part to my thinking. Turning that tiny steering system upsidedown. But there are some cleaver people here I know could do it.
      The power plant is the part that stumps most people.
      I can think of 3 seperate ways to may it work.

First is to simply make the tiny ducted fan. Put the fan on the motor and mount it in a small cardboard tube. Half of the air you duct into the skirt, the rest is let escape to provide thrust.
      Remember that hovercraft are frictionless vehicles so it does not require much of a push to make them move.

The second method is to duct all the air vertically down into the skirt and then bleed it from the rear to provide thrust.
      1:1 Hovercraft skirts are different at the rear of the hovercraft than they are at the front. The reason is mainly to let water escape. I can draw a picture if somebody wants, anyhow a variation of this would provide thrust.

The third is to build a centripital air pump.
      There are a couple of variations on how to let the air out of the pump, but it would work just fine however you do it.
      I do not know of any real hovercraft that use this method.

MattPaintballer
      Participant

trash, VERY nice hovercraft! The thing from Toyeast looks big… how about a nice Bit sized one? The hyperlink button (actually every button except smiley button…) is broken so just copy and paste this link into your browser… Atomic Z-craft!

http://www.tinyrc.com/shop/product.php?pid=618

http://www.tinyrc.com/shop/products.php?pid=13

^ you can also get Atomic Z-Planes and Desktop Rovers from the second link… as well as a Duracell lithium battery (for Desktop Rovers).

MattPaintballer
      Participant

Err umm I got dimensions mixed up… that’s not bit sized… but it looks smaller to me (not sure though!)

Impreza
      Participant

I have seen one slightly larger than a bit at a summer night market on the West Coast (Canada). Was tempted to buy, but ended up with a couple of clones instead..MPb, the planes at tinyrc look very cool:) Anyone try them?

Roe
      Participant

just had a look a toysrus, they’ve got a mini hovercraft there for 30 bucks, It’s the size of a hotwheel car, i think tyco makes em, but only with limited control….

Jay-Z
      Participant

there`s too many toys i`ve gotta have!! still want one of those mini copters, they`re tempting me 😀

Cavo
      Participant

DSE has the Blue storm rc hovercraft on special for $50,just needs a 9.6 batt and a 9vlt and your away.Had a look at one and they are made well(good rubber skirt),performance ??,but well worth a look.Its smaller than those green,orange BIG W ones and cheaper,(srtonger)…………”What do you mean my Robosapian should’nt have weapons that can hurt you ..(kill,mame,ouch)..I told you I wanted a Battlemech !!!!!!

trash
      Participant

Give them a little bit of Time Jay-Z. The choppers still have some stupid electronics in them. They’re just not something you want to rush into. RC choppers are harder to fly than real choppers. I like the idea of being able to fly fixed wing first, to get the feel for the flying RC before moving onto something that is expensive to crash like a chopper.

Hmmm Cavo: ever heard of Isaac Asimov’s “Three Laws of Robotics”. Yep, out the window with them,
      I prefer “trash’s three laws of human stupidity”

1: A human may program a robot to injure or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2: A robot can ignore orders given it by human beings when already programed to do previously.

3: A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

The third law doesn’t change because it’s kind of mute. The previous two laws will always overide it. In order for a robot to protect its own existence, it must first be aware of it. By this point in time it has already determined where the threat to it’s exsistance lies and you’re wishing you didn’t program in that third law. 🙂

If my robosapien ever gets into my gun safe.
      lucky he’s not good at theft just yet. 🙂

http://community.webshots.com/user/trash0

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.