Micro Sub

Viewing 61 reply threads
  • Author
      Pork_Hunt
      Participant

I paid a visit to my local Jaycar store on Friday to buy some batteries for my LXX Scale racer (oh so sweet). Lo and behold I come across a micro sub. The same micro sub I have been salavating over on eBay for a week and a half. AND it is $7 cheaper.

Needless to say I walked out of Jaycar $29.95 lighter than I had expected to :D.

It is pretty cool. Uses 2 motor pods and has a turbo button, but the most suprising thing I discover was that an Energiser e^2 is about twice as heavy as a regular heavy duty battery (in aaa size anyway). This leads to the sub sinking far too easily. Once I iron this little problem out it should be sweet.

productLarge_7206.jpg

Racer9
      Participant

Sweet!

VooDooMafia
      Participant

They are fun I have the one from toyeast and I torment the fish at the local pet shop with it.

trash
      Participant

Hmm, that’s different ?
      I’ll have to keep and eye out for them.
      I’m hoping to get a few SE2’s send from HK, but I’m not sure how much they cost yet.

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

I tried cheap and nast batteries, and it is much better, only sinks when you drive.

TallduDe
      Participant

cool

how big is that sub?

is it like tank style steering?

trash
      Participant

There are two types of steering I’ve found.
      One which each channel drives the motors independantly. The other appears to be a mix of forward/back, left/right. This one looks like the second. The same as the RC boats.

icebreaka
      Participant

yeh i saw those in jaycar the other day.. but is it worth it? you can only play with them in ur bathtub or sink lol.. not much else?

pretty kewl tho..

i saw bullet clones today at The warehouse aka clints craazy bargains for $9.99 .. hehe..the brand is one i’ve never heard b4.. n made in china.. might wanna take a look.. also clone motorbikes for $14.99 😀 hehehe

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

The (sub in my drunkeness) is about 8cm long, 6cm wide, and 3cm high. range leaves a little to be desired, but such is the nature of the beast.

Say “YES” to Chrimbo shindigs on store $$$ 😀

BTW: jugs are about the right size for fun, fish tanks are good for profit
      😀

Edited by – Pork_Hunt on 16 November 2003 02:31:54

trash
      Participant

See what happens kids when you mix your drinks !
      🙂

TallduDe
      Participant

you buy micro subs when you mix drinks? :p

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

I appoligise for my last post, free beer and tequila sunrises got the better of me.

I went out today and spent $7 on a clear plastic tub, and now that is my sub’s playground.
      I got a TE order goin out on tuesday morning, and i’m gunna pick up 3 char-g 200mAh batteries, and try to kill it 😀

Replaced the antennea with some cat5, its a little heavy and makes it harder to drive, but i can now drive it from the other side of the kitchen (Y)

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

I spent all of today charging 3 old char-g batteries and running the sub on those.

It will now throw rooster-tails of water all over the kitchen if you hold “reverse and steer”

Racer9
      Participant

Sweet! It is designed to sink when you drive forward. Very Cool!

SurfmyStrat
      Participant

Dude those look sweet, just one quick question, does water leak into the sub, or is it sealed nicely??? Have u taken it apart yet?

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

That is two quick questions!

I have taken it apart. You have to to install the aaa battery it requires to run. It is sealed up tighter than a dolphins butt tho. Two o-rings keep water at bay, and the wires to the motors and antenna have glue around them. The guy who sold it to me was telling me about the abuse the demo model had suffered, dropped, put in water with out the battery cover, etc… and it still worked fine.

SurfmyStrat
      Participant

ooo, now thats quality

dwhall
      Participant

anyone got a movie of this sub in action or know where i can get a movie of said sub?

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

I wanna film mine, but no camera, and the tub I use is kinda too small for it

dwhall
      Participant

how manuverable is it dude?

does it travel in a str8 line ok?
      has it a neutral boyancy (ie if it stops does it float up or sink or just sit there)?

i wanna buy one to chase my turtle around with. if its hard to control in tight places then i wont bother with it.

Edited by – dwhall on 21 November 2003 12:52:00

dwhall
      Participant

I’ve decided toget one of these babys from ebay….
      submarine2.jpg

expect some movies and pics when i recieve it :smiley16::smiley16::smiley16:

woohoo!

dwhall
      Participant

oh! and here for some info on it…
      http://www.raidentech.com/wh24pcsrarec.html

no, i didnt pay that much for it!:approve:

trash
      Participant

I’m actually trying to get some from HK, they might end up cheaper than ebay. Will let you know.
      I already have one. They are very cool, but you should take them apart and seal around the LED’s with epoxy and then reseal the main gasgut with vasolene.

dwhall
      Participant

okies. will do.

any other problems with them?

cant wait to chase my turtle around!!!

twizm
      Participant

im thinking of getting one, but im worried that the chlorine in my pool will damage it

any thoughts?

trash
      Participant

They’re really hardy little things. I wouldn’t use them in salt water. But pool chlorine is fine.
      I tested mine to 2 metres and it could have gone deep easy. The nose LED is perfect for a wireless camera. They look very cool in a fish tank.
      I think there is a pic of the one I have on my webshots page.

Pork_Hunt
      Participant
      Quote:
      how manuverable is it dude?

does it travel in a str8 line ok?
      has it a neutral boyancy (ie if it stops does it float up or sink or just sit there)?

i wanna buy one to chase my turtle around with. if its hard to control in tight places then i wont bother with it.

Edited by – dwhall on 21 November 2003 12:52:00

Boyancy depends on the battery/ies you use… a cheap and nasty aaa floats, an Energiser e^2 sinks like a stone. 3 Tomy NiCd’s float, but not as much as a CnN aaa.

I would say that they are about as manuverable as a Char-g, not great, not too bad either. With the CnN aaa it is easily controllable in a 2’^3 tub, but with 3 1/3aaa NiCds, it gets a little hairy :D. It dives as it goes forwards, climbs in reverse. I think mine pulls slightly to the right, but it’s close enough to striaght

BTW my first ever quote on a forum

Edited by – Pork_Hunt on 26 November 2003 03:27:16

twizm
      Participant

why cant they make one with dive/rise functions? could be a mod for someone with a spare booster set or even a super bit, i think i read they have 2 extra function buttons?

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

You don’t even miss the dive/rise funtion after a while. You just sort of spiral down or up if you need to. Thats why the motorcases are tilted.

trash
      Participant

The SE2 is slightly boyant. It comes with a full size RC unit, not the tiny BCG type controlers.
      It is the same circuit as what is in my A40 plane,
      and both the plane and the sub are very manouverable. They will drive straight no problems.

Dive function is actually very difficult to do.
      You either have to have turrets to turn the motors around, or you have to have compressed air on board. I haven’t seen that on a 2 inch sub yet 🙂

As for diving the SE2, yes it’s really simple..
      power on and down you go. If you want to maintain depth, then you slow drive forward or pulse your trust. Power off and up you come.
      Again, it’s the same as flying the A40 plane, except you go down instead of up !

twizm
      Participant

thats what confuses me, the turrets seem like such an easy thing to add, but no one will. even if it was a simple single direction type thing, turning clockwise or something, it would still be useable. then again, i spose you need a neutral ballast, which means the right air inside for the right depth, or to be fully covered in water inside and out.

god dammit, GIVE ME DEPTH CONTROL!:sad:

betty.k
      Participant

how do these things work? do you steer with the two motors like a tank? is there a motor on the rear, or is that just for show?
      what i’m getting at is, if there’s no motor on the rear and it has ‘tank’ steering, you could mount a motor on the back vertically to tilt the sub up and down. you’d need a third channel though. dunno if it’s possible, just a thought:8ball:

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

Spot on betty. No rear “thrust motor” but the tail does help it steer/dive/rise in the same sort of manner as aeroplane wings work.

dwhall
      Participant
      Quote:
      thats what confuses me, the turrets seem like such an easy thing to add, but no one will. even if it was a simple single direction type thing, turning clockwise or something, it would still be useable. then again, i spose you need a neutral ballast, which means the right air inside for the right depth, or to be fully covered in water inside and out.

god dammit, GIVE ME DEPTH CONTROL!:sad:

your wish is mu comand!!
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3158044423&category=2563

its got manual depth control tho

trash
      Participant

Ah sorry, that doesn’t qualify. That’s a manual setting, you can’t change it unless you take the sub out of the water. You want that as a control channel.

Using a CO2 compressed gas bulb would be perfect for a sub ballast gas.

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

how do you retreive it after you let out all the gas???

dwhall
      Participant

i think this one has rc control that you are after???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3160037280&category=2564

trash
      Participant

That sub is small, looks cool too, but the SE2 is smaller 🙂

If you had a radio control sub that had a gas ballast. (CO2 bulb). You open the ballast valve and it lets water flood the ballast tanks.
      “Dive dive dive” … that is what’s happening.
      The air is let escape.

Now that your at depth, you open the purge valve (opposite control) and it fills the ballast tanks with air, and up you come.

twizm
      Participant

yes, we get that, but the question is where does that air to refill the tanks come from if you empty it completely?

trash
      Participant

The CO2 bulbs. I think you don’t realise that there are 2 sets of tanks. The CO2 source tank and the ballast tank. The ballast tank is basically decompressed gas held to make the sub boyant. When it doesn’t have gas in it, it has water. The CO2 source always has gas in it, and it has lots of highly compressed gas, so it isn’t going to run out until you’ve done like 100 dives.

merc-blue
      Participant

they need a sub were u can control both motors (props) independantly and also be able to trim the props

trash
      Participant

I’m not sure why you’d want to do that unless you planned to do “aquabatics” ??
      Turning a sub upside down isn’t as fun for the crew of a sub as it is a plane 🙂

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

With 3.6v and a little practice, you can make the damn things do anything. I had mine diving vertically, then doing a U turn, then it would “leap” out of the water, “Free Willy” style and splash back down. Just a matter of balancing bouyancy, power and space.

trash
      Participant

My friend in HK finally got back to me on the SE2 minisubs. The cost $20 aus + postage.

dwhall
      Participant

this should link to one in action if yas want a movie… myns not ere yet but will come this week

http://www.megatech.com/images_5.0/products/7702/video/QT/OE_56.mov

dwhall
      Participant

this should link to one in action if yas want a movie… myns not ere yet but will come this week

http://www.megatech.com/images_5.0/products/7702/video/QT/OE_56.mov

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

pardon???

dwhall
      Participant

D-d-d-double post!!!!
      sorry bout that.

the movie link in my 2 previous post is for a SE2 minisub in action. 🙂

dwhall
      Participant

Ok, my sub has arrived….

first impressions, my wife thinks its great!

the tide was low in my turtles tank (ie it needs refilling) but with an area 3′ x 1.5′ x 1’deep there is enuff room to go for a spin.
      I chased Billy (the turtle) out of the way and plonked the sub in, which floated nicely on the surface. I then gave a little throttle and it submerged at about a 45 degree angle…. at this stage i came to realise that when they say the se2 has proportional trottle they mean 3 step:evil:. I did a few laps of the ank chasing an irrate turtle aroun while i was at it. things i notice that werent as good as expected:

* it is hard to keep the sub going in a straight line as the first stage of throttle sends it downwards and none sends it floating to the tops.
      * the vessel tends to be too float too well this makes for hard sloww manuvers(I shall attach lead weights to try and slow the accent and place them towards the rear to even the downward faceing stance a bit, I will try for a not quite neutral boyancy)

this said, the sub as a whole is much fun to play with tho 🙂

I’ll tell you how things go….

dwhall
      Participant

I added a small fishing sinker via bluetack to the rear and my sub immediately sank… too much weight!

relplaced the sinker with smaller weights and found it floated nicely. pushed it forward and the decent rated was shallower. the return trip to the surface is slower too. slow speed manuvers as easier as is high speed travel in the shalow tank. all in all the added weight seems to have made the sub handle much better, and now i will work on something more permanent..

the 3 step thrust is still a hassle but short bursts keeps it at the same level.

mission accomplished.
      next post will include the permanent changes made and how they work.

trash
      Participant

I filled up some extra space in my last box from HK and I have a couple of SE2 subs. Their share of the postage is about $9 each so if you’re in sydney they cost $29. They use the same RC as the A40 planes so their range is much better than the bit subs that jaycar sell. I’ve personally had one down to 2 metres depth, and I’m sure they can go deeper.

peedee
      Participant

hey trash wat else ya get from HK

trash
      Participant

All sorts of stuff. It’s just one big toy city.
      What are you looking for ?
      🙂

peedee
      Participant

something cheap fun and exciting,mainly looking at one of thse a-40 just need to get the cash…but nethign cheap really

trash
      Participant

cheap, fun and exciting …. yep, that’s most of the stuff. A40’s are exciting and fun, though not as cheap as other toys.
      The subs are cheap, though I tire of terrorising fish…. I’m going to mount the wireless camera in it and then it’s going to the local public pool !!!! I’m keen to depth test it… diving pool is 7m deep… I wonder if it will crush it ?

icebreaka
      Participant

LoL.. u could get fined for spying on ppl lol.. jus like those picture fones in changerooms 😀

twizm
      Participant

im sure trash isnt the kind of guy to go searching for the legendary sunken treasure of camel toe at the local pool 😛

Racer9
      Participant

lol!

Racer9
      Participant

I probably shouldn’t know what that means because I am only 14 but hey what do you expect of kids these days! lol!

peedee
      Participant

yea with discovery channel an all…

trash
      Participant

I haven’t thought of any cool uses for a sub camera. I would think it was funny to have one somewhere like sydney aquarium.

I ventured into uncle pete’s toys the other day.
      Damn he’s got some markups !
      I saw some very interesting finned subs.
      not radio control, but it might make an interesting project to give one a brain or RC.

“Know the toe !”

Edited by – trash on 18 December 2003 22:41:27

Racer9
      Participant

lol!

Viewing 61 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.