mini-z 101

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Renton
      Participant

well after losing the last 3 hours to this site I have been somewhat disheartened.

Is there any form of introductory manual or begginers guide to mods and tweaking? something someone like myself (lacking an electronics degree) can get his head around

I really want to throw myself in but dont know where to start. I dont even know what batteries to buy….sigh.

I just want to get my little skyline sideways.

klims
      Participant

i guess the hardest thing for me to get my mind around was the electronics upgrade(FET or MOSFET). i really enjoy electronics but had a very basic understanding till i started messing around with FETs. i guess if you don’t really care how they work then its pretty simple. but definitely get into a few threads and have a read

as for the batteries there are a few forums about the best ones. i think everyone agrees on the sanyos, but you should only start worrying about that when you are getting some serious power.

get into the ausmicro shop. Aaron has a massive range of upgrades. some of the motors don’t even need the electronics upgrade 😉

so which mini z do you have?

Renton
      Participant

klims thats the thing, i really want to get into the upgrades but dont even know where to begin. Its been a long monday at work so maybe its just my brain frying already

I got a R34 GTR vspec AWD

cant wait to get the girl really moving and hopefully sliding around my place

klims
      Participant

well if you wanna get sliding get into the tyres. a set of drift tyres should get you sliding around the place. i guess the tight arse approach that will get you by for the moment would be some electrical tape on the tyres. might scratch up the floor boards though.

i don’t actually own an AWD miniz so the only things i can recommend are tyres, FET upgrade and motor.

Renton
      Participant

between you and me klims i wouldnt know what a FET is. I know of Bobba Fett and thats it.

going to look into these FETS and motor upgrade on the weekend.

Admin
      Participant

Hi mate,

I just got the same kit as you, awd skyline. Firstly I’d recomend not getting too carried away with upgrades (hop-ups) until you can handle your car. Also before you upgrade make sure you understand what areas of your car need attention and how to go about getting the desired effect.

The first thing you need is NimH rechargable batteries and a charger. I use duracel, I don’t think it matters much which brand you choose at this level. I have 2 sets of batteries so when one set runs flat I have another ready to go.

The first upgrades I would consider are:
      An aluminium pinion with locking screw. This is the small gear on the end of the motor. Extended running times builds up heat and expands the pinion causing it to fall off, I have found this the be a major pain in the ass.

Secondly I would look at getting a good set of bearings. The standard bearings are ok but they wear quickly and cause more friction than a good set of roller bearings. This will increase you run times.

After that maybe tires, but that can be confusing so do you research.

Goodluck.

Renton
      Participant

cheers for the input

I purchased myself some NI-MH batts today. While I was there I obtained a book which I have found an abundance of FETS. Now I dont even know what a FET does but from the talk I am hearing its what I want :smiley14:

Another lil snag I have hit is my throttle sometimes gets stuck mid turn. has this happened to anyone before?

I know I might sound like a nagging prick but you gotta ask questions in order to learn.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.