Mini-z 5 cell mod photos

Viewing 45 reply threads
  • Author
      kevsta
      Participant

I just did my first extra cell mod to my MR01. Wired it all up the way I did so that I can easily change back to 4 cells or go to 6 cells if necessary without opening the thing up and soldering…

Best of all, it only cost me $3 dollars.

Don t download the file below – it s corrupt and I m having trouble uploading avi s to this site.

Basically, It s a video showing my kyosho 40 tyres expanding in diameter and virtually coming off the alloy rim with this setup.

:smiley16:

Edited by – kevsta on 24 October 2004 10:45:46

Keymaster

http://www.ausmicro.com/thedump/tyres.avi is the attachment Kev is trying to get up!

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      http://www.ausmicro.com/thedump/tyres.avi is the attachment Kev is trying to get up!

A.

Thanks for that Aaron !

Cheers.
      🙂

Keymaster

I’ve ‘locked’ the Attachment Kev so peopel can’t access it now 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Roe
      Participant

Nice work Kevsta! very cool :smiley16:

A, the link to the vid seems to be dead.

Edited by – Roe on 24 October 2004 23:42:40

Jay-Z
      Participant

good work kevsta!! does the extra cell make the car go faster, the run time longer or both? i tried to buy a single AAA cell holder from dick smith the other day but they only had doubles..

Edited by – Jay-Z on 24 October 2004 20:13:20

Keymaster

Yeah Yeah jokes over… I got the file off e-mail, copied it to the “offline” version of the site then promptly failed to transfer that to the live version…

Blame it on being Sunday morning….

The livers not as good as it used to be 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

TallduDe
      Participant

nice 1 kev!

i knew some1 would have to try the extra cell out soon, have you run it yet?

no rear suspension would be a bitch though :dead:

dgs73
      Participant

the thing people are doing to match my speed these days…:smiley2: I pass the crown to ya Kev, I got no time for stupid uncontrollable speeds anymore… got a track now. Shame about the suspension loss too

kevsta
      Participant

TD: I haven’t run it yet, unfortunately don’t have anywhere close by… Seems faster though, as you see in the video, the tyres diameter expands off the alloy rim which didn’t happen with 4 cells. It’ll be interesting to see if it’ll burn out the pcb or not but I’m sure those components have some tolerences built in.

dgs: The crown belongs to you buddy. I’m just tinkering here and there being a hobby and all…might give motor winding a go next. Got a couple of those x-speed pro’s coming – wouldn’t mind giving those a good test.

I’m not sure how the car will run without the rear damper but will see…

Jay-Z
      Participant

i think tim had a go at adding another cell but stuff seemed to melt alot when he tried out new idea`s 👿 did you buy the extra cell holder as a single cell or mod a double?

Jay-Z
      Participant

…P.S. kevsta, if i`m seeing right your chassis with the extra cell is one of the japanese ones!!

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      i think tim had a go at adding another cell but stuff seemed to melt alot when he tried out new idea`s 👿 did you buy the extra cell holder as a single cell or mod a double?

Yeah, not sure what happened to Tim’s extra cell stuff, one day he had it, next day nothing. My guess is that he probably had trouble sitting it properly between the chassis and the ball diff without it rubbing. If you look at the photos above, I use thick piano wire and bend it to shape to fit the the battery holder. This is then wound around the screw which is normally used for the roll shocks.

Extra Cell holder is a single and can be bought from Jaycar along with everything else. Costs 60 cents.

BTW. The chassis says made in China. My MR02 says made in Japan.

Hope the weather is better for this coming Sunday.

🙂

Jay-Z
      Participant

i`ll have to have a look in jaycar, getting some spare bits and peices soon so might try and make an extra cell mod too 😀

TallduDe
      Participant

okay i saw this animal in real life, gotta say kev is doing some great work.

took some pics and vid’s of it in action!

heres a pic of kevs top speed

TallduDe
      Participant

heres vid, sorry about the begining but hey who cares :p

TallduDe
      Participant

here is a short vid of the tire falling off due to the speed of this thing.

we got over this problem by putting double sided tape on the rim works like a charm.

MiniKing
      Participant

WELL DONE Kev that shit is awsome man..!!!I take my hat off to you dude you are definately the Mini Z King with a monster like that cant wait to see it run at meadowbank….EXCELLENT WORK dude:D:DLooks a drag race needs to be set up KEV vs DAVE……Wat do all reckon…????:D

kevsta
      Participant

I took this car out for a run yesterday evening and it simply has too much power that it’ll only go in a straight line. I can see the front wheels turn, but the chassis still goes straight. Some more intense turning sees the car aqua-planing and spinning out at high speeds. Tyres also easily blistered.

Not Fun. I’ve since gone back to 4 cells so that I can at least have some control of it.
      🙂

MiniKing
      Participant

spewin Kev you have to bring it down next Sunday with the extra cell back on i want to see a drag race between you and Dgs73…..:D

Jay-Z
      Participant

..no such thing as too much kevsta 👿 -think i`ll go wire up some stuff 😀

TallduDe
      Participant

yeah i thought so kev.

too bad if only you could wire up the batt’s but still keep the rear suspension! back the drawing boards i suspose

kevsta
      Participant

Hey I found another place to bash around a Z and 1:10.

Tempe Netball Courts at the end of Holbeach Avenue. There’s about 10 or so courts there and the surface is smooth asphalt. Not as good as the surface at Meadowbank though. But only 5 minutes drive away, I won’t complain.

There were 3 guys down there on Sunday evening running there ep 1:10 tourers.

Not sure if the place is lit up at night, will have to check. 🙂

Jay-Z
      Participant

i`m keen to check out st ives track, outdoor is sealed, pity the indoor is dirt!!

dgs73
      Participant
      Quote:
      I took this car out for a run yesterday evening and it simply has too much power that it’ll only go in a straight line. I can see the front wheels turn, but the chassis still goes straight. Some more intense turning sees the car aqua-planing and spinning out at high speeds. Tyres also easily blistered.

Not Fun. I’ve since gone back to 4 cells so that I can at least have some control of it.
      🙂

welcome to my world… got a new toy to try out too… hehehehe:p

MiniKing
      Participant

Hey Kev,
      That track sounds cool Tempe isnt far from my place at all when you go down let me know and ill meet you down there i ask roe if he wants to go aswell….and Jay Z the indoor dirt track sounds cool perfect for my 1/10 nitro buggy….

dgs73
      Participant

not sure if they allow indoor nitro running… exhaust fumes… the sealed surface is cool however

MiniKing
      Participant

Yeah DGS didnt even think bout that dont matter being off road and nitro i can take this thing anywere so i guess the grass around medowbank will have to do….. :D:D Or maybe ill race it on the track with the Z’s…..Jokes….:smiley2::D:smiley2:

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      Yeah DGS didnt even think bout that dont matter being off road and nitro i can take this thing anywere so i guess the grass around medowbank will have to do….. :D:D Or maybe ill race it on the track with the Z’s…..Jokes….:smiley2::D:smiley2:

Hey MK,

There are some massive dirt dunes next to Tempe Reserve, but not sure if they are accessible to the public. If you look at the http://www.street-directory.com.au for Holbeach Ave. Tempe you will see it’s called “Proposed Open Space & Habitat Restoration”.

It might be worthwhile checking out.

🙂

MiniKing
      Participant

That sounds sick i want to go i cant wait i have to get my buggy running again(need new radio gear…)But it should be ready by the weekend so i can have some offroad fun im goin to put together a video of all my rc cars in action i think….:D:D

MiniKing
      Participant

Looks like like im gonna have to talk to Roe bout that one….:smiley2:

Roe
      Participant
      Quote:
      Hey MK,

There are some massive dirt dunes next to Tempe Reserve, but not sure if they are accessible to the public. If you look at the http://www.street-directory.com.au for Holbeach Ave. Tempe you will see it’s called “Proposed Open Space & Habitat Restoration”.

It might be worthwhile checking

i thought it was swamp etc down that way kev. I’ve ridden my mountain bike threw there a couple of times (albeit, bout a year ago now) looks like the same place….nice place to watch the planes take off….:)

Yeah, i won’t be racing (unless i can borrow a car) so i might bring the camera and shoot some stuff…im sure peeps wanna see us flying round daves track!! 😀

Hey dave, ne luck researching transponders (i know im lazy/just freeken busy to search myself) i got an old laptop that can run the software, and your start finish banner is near perfect to setup such a device! :smiley2:

*edit* can’t wait!! there gonna be heaps of ppl there. Might have to bring my track for all the newbies to start on :p*edit*

Edited by – Roe on 06 November 2004 02:12:58

icebreaka
      Participant

im not goin if its raining blackeye:

Roe
      Participant
      Quote:
      im not goin if its raining

Don’t jinks it bro…:)

TallduDe
      Participant

its a little rain its still good its still good!

hey kev you gonna put the cell in the z just to see if the surface makes any real difference?

would still like to see that thing haul arse in a straight line!

peteWah
      Participant
      Quote:
      im not goin if its raining blackeye:

Its not raining, I want my elephant

dgs73
      Participant

no rain, was all good…:D:approve:

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      i thought it was swamp etc down that way kev. I’ve ridden my mountain bike threw there a couple of times (albeit, bout a year ago now) looks like the same place….nice place to watch the planes take off….:)

Roe, no longer swamp land. The local council has pumped a few million into rebuilding the place, the large dirt dunes are an in-progress and the courts are lit up a night just as Bunnings bankstown is.

🙂

MiniKing
      Participant

Yeah Kev that track in Tempe sounds cool im prob gonna down there 2nite if teh weather improves im gonna finish running in my nitro buggy so i can take it down to meadow bank next week.

dgs73
      Participant

on that note; where we race used to be swamp too… long time ago, but still evident… as is the suburbs Newington and Cabarita (Homebush area). Useless info from dgs anyone??:D

Roe
      Participant
      Quote:
      Roe, no longer swamp land. The local council has pumped a few million into rebuilding the place, the large dirt dunes are an in-progress and the courts are lit up a night just as Bunnings bankstown is.

SSWWWEEETTT:D:D might have to go for a recky on the w/e and check it out!!! DAMMMM, now i gotta get a 1/10 or 1/8 nitro blaster :D:D

Quote:
      on that note; where we race used to be swamp too… long time ago, but still evident… as is the suburbs Newington and Cabarita (Homebush area). Useless info from dgs anyone??

i thought i could smell something, i just thought it was me………hahaha:clown:

Edited by – Roe on 08 November 2004 23:25:06

TallduDe
      Participant

dunes aye is it good mountain bike country?

MiniKing
      Participant

Yeah man i cant wait to get my nitro buggy out to hit those dunes man im itching to run it look like im goin later 2nite i need to run this thing in man…. so i can see wat this thing can do…!!!!!!:D

dgs73
      Participant

Roe; wait till summer, at low tide… then you’ll smell some things that’ll singe your nose hairs… that really is a filthy river we race by…

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      Yeah man i cant wait to get my nitro buggy out to hit those dunes man im itching to run it look like im goin later 2nite i need to run this thing in man…. so i can see wat this thing can do…!!!!!!:D

Best to go there and check it out during daylight first. I’m not sure if it’s been fenced off – Don’t want to give you false hopes.

MiniKing
      Participant

LOL Kev i didnt mean run my car on the dunes 2nite im goin down there to finish running in my nitro buggy cause its still brand new….running over dunes at nite would be pretty dangerous…fun but dangerous…LOL:D:D:DIll jst run it around the courts..

Edited by – MiniKing on 09 November 2004 13:08:30

Viewing 45 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.