Mini Z dash motors

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      micro_Amps
      Participant

Guys, just wondering if there is anywhere in Australia that sells the various Dash 130 size motors? If there is, whats good price and whats a rip off?

Or is the best place online? If so where and what is a good price for these.
      Thanks.
      :)uA

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Micro, Tamiya mini4wd aint big in aussie, so parts are few and far between, and expensive.

<20AUD is a good price, though i throw alot of cash into the motors hopping them up.

Most 130 Motors are designed for low power and torque applications, and generally last a long time.

The problems with these motors (like the stock/X speed Z motors) is that if you add neodymium magnets, failures rates skyrocket. The design of the motor is just not good enough, very close cousins to the $2 dickie smith motors.

When you pump more power out, the motor heats up much more, the dodgy brush system superheats the commutator, and burns the commutator, which melts the retainer ring and makes the commutator segments fly outwards and pulverise the brushes and maybe other motor parts. The armature itself is usually slightly smaller, and has plastic end caps, which melt and expose the sharp edges of the armature to the copper winds….nasty stuff happens here. The tolerances in the motor are poor too, the distance betwen the armature and the magnets is sometimes close to 1mm!, which is really a big gap. They have bronze bushings and sometimes no bushing in the plastic endbell.

I have had some experience with the tamiya plasma dash aind, it wonderful!

-The design allows great cooling, the brushes are much better than normal motor brushes, the tolerances are closer (but not good enough for Jamie’s standards), the magnets are high quality,the endbell is a composite material that withstands very high temperature, the commutator is fantastic, many times bigger than a standard commutator, so more heat dissipation, more current flow etc., the armature itself is slightly longer than normal, and it has high temperature epoxy resin endcaps.

Add a set of BB’s, Neodymium magnet, and some cpacitors and you have a screamer, do a few little tricks and the thing will be even better.

Maintainence is high on these motors though, after 5 runs in my mini Z the motor becomes sluggish, and needs to be reconditioned.

*Takes a breather*

bithed
      Participant

…Ok boys you are jumping the gun here a little bit…micro I will flow you a couple of these things to play with if you promise to flow one back when you got it hot and spicy 🙂 i will do some ground researh on these and mini yonku in general in regard to how it might relate to making a mini z better…

…’Be all you can be’…

…Z all you can Z…

micro_Amps
      Participant

Thanks Jamie, thats the sort of info I am looking for.
      I have my eye on the plasma dash as the one I want to work with.

Bithed, I’m not looking to hop these up myself (yet) just doing some ground work before I get into them a little further. I dont have much experience with these, that will come in time. Are you able to get the plasmas/neo-magnets/bbs/end bells etc? If so can I get some prices please. The first step is to get some into my hot little hands.

Jamie, back to you, I gather the best place is to look around online then, can you recommend anywhere (prefferably one place) that sells all the bits to make a fairly strong plasma dash. (Where do you buy from?)

Thanks,

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Micro, First i ask what is the application???

To get all the parts from one site go to http://www.rcmart.com and hit micro R/C.

You will find ball bearing sets, the motors, and neodymium magnets.

The whole lot will set you back around $45 bucks.

I recommend buying a few sets of standard motor brushes. The brushes dont fit the motor, but you can take out the carbon blocks and use them to replace the stock ones when they are worn down, make sure they are held in very firmly, bad things happen if they are loose.

Your motor will be a screamer, but will probably be very high maintainence, and will probably not last long at all.

Super Max Power
      Participant

Jamie, what country are RCmart based in?

bithed
      Participant

…Jamie…what happens to my Z if i hook one of these aftermarket TAMIYA motors up WITHOUT a fet mod etc ? Do they just go slow ? Blow up ? Explain for me the difference if you can between the speed motor and the torque motor…im a layman 🙂 humour me 🙂 Have you tried any of the other TAMIYA motors ? EAGLE also has a speed motor and a torque motor…any good ?

micro_Amps
      Participant

Actually Jamie the application is for (twin engine)mini aeroplane use, so absolute max power is not the highest priority, I am just looking for something powerful AND reliable.
      I’ll get a hold of a few of these and see how I go.
      Thanks,

ph2t
      Participant

lol micro, you don’t want one of those babies bustin up whilst 100m off the ground, doh!

ph2t.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Exactly :dead:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant
      Quote:
      Actually Jamie the application is for (twin engine)mini aeroplane use, so absolute max power is not the highest priority, I am just looking for something powerful AND reliable.
      I’ll get a hold of a few of these and see how I go.
      Thanks,

As far as reliability goes they are far more robust and well engineered than other motors, the commutator is huge, and the motor is designed to cope with heat. If used within thier specified ratings they shold last very well. Mine only fail because they are putting out 6 times their rated power, and revving to more than 3 times their rated RPM. If i rewound a Kyosho motor to Plasma Dash specs and used the Tamiya magnets, and ran it on 5 cells the motor would probably fail in minutes. I highly recommend this motor.

Run these on 3-4 cells and they should be fine. The torque output is twice as much as kyosho’s X speed. Ball Bearings reduce heat, increase efficiency and motor life. Neodymiums are only good if you want mega performance, but will really stuff the motor.

I have a few trick that boost the power and efficiency of these motors, so PM me if you are interested.

bithed
      Participant

…Ok Jamie…easy question…if i wire up a plasma dash to my Z with NO other mods what will happen ? faster ?

jamiekulhanek
      Participant
      Quote:
      …Jamie…what happens to my Z if i hook one of these aftermarket TAMIYA motors up WITHOUT a fet mod etc ? Do they just go slow ? Blow up ? Explain for me the difference if you can between the speed motor and the torque motor…im a layman 🙂 humour me 🙂 Have you tried any of the other TAMIYA motors ? EAGLE also has a speed motor and a torque motor…any good ?

If you try this bithed, film it!! Spectacular smoke/fire/small explosion!!!

The fets will last maybe a few seconds, before they blow, the resistance of the stock fets will make the car slow anyway.

TAMIYA motors: The Plasma Dash motor actually has MORE torque than the torque tuned motor, and also has alot more power, at the sacrifice of less battery life (much less). The torque tuned motor is low revving, low power, moderate torque motor.

Eagle motors, Havent tried them, but if i could see a pic i could tell you if they are a well designed motor, as for power and speed, who knows??

The tamiya Plasma Dash motor is the most fantastic motor i have seen, it’s full of good points, and with a set off BB’s installed its a fantastic little motor.

Reason Being:

-Huge commutator, 3-4 times the size of a kyosho motor, means low resistance, therefore less heat generation.

-No plastics are used on the armature/commutator, only high temperature epoxy (apart from spacers), the X speed/Stock kyosho has plastic commutator retainers and armature endcaps, when the motor is being over strained these melt and will basically wreck the motor.

-Highly vented can and resin endbell. Keeps the motor very cool, kyosho motors dont really have much venting at all.

– Well designed brush system. Has heatsinking effect, flows more current, keeps correct 0 degree timing for most of the brush life. Kyosho motors change the motor timing dramatically throughout the brush life.

Finally:

Dinball RC mart (http://www.rcmart.com) is based in Hong Kong. They are great!! Good prices and very reliable.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I forgot to mention that the Plasma Dash looks truly awesome!!!!!

bithed
      Participant

…Thanks buddy thats exactly what i needed to know 🙂 That little bit of information saves me LOTS of time and money…

…BEFORE you build and BLOW it ASK Ausmicro !!

…BitHed has spoken 🙂

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Pleasure to help bithed.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Hey thats not a bad motto!!

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.