Mini-Z monter Truck

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author
      Racer9
      Participant

I am going to fianally get a Mini-Z Monster truck. What upgrades should I get right away. I already have rechargeable AAAs. I know I want ball bearings, oil shocks front and rear, X-Speed motor, and a large amount of AA batteries. Any thing else?

ph2t
      Participant

First off, well done on the best purchase you’ll ever make, lol….. 🙂

What you must get in order of importance (we’ll my view anyways….)

kyosho bearings, don’t get crap! 🙂
      3racing alloy front damper mount
      kyosho oil shocks
      kyosho/GPM soft foam tyre inserts

that’s the bear minimum….

as for motors, stock setup limits you to a xspeed, but they’re great motors anyways…

otherwise, I’d go a fet mod and plasma dash armature in a bb can.

cheers,

ph2t.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

If you get the limited edition one, it already has bearings, x-speed, oil shocks and other stuff.

bithed
      Participant
      bithed
      Participant

…NOW that i can finally post pics INSTEAD of links :)How about THIS ONE? Looks good eh Aaron…
      DSC03806.jpg

Tim
      Participant

Ph2t i’m planning to get one as well in christmas. I saw the video and it looks so fun to play with! I see that monster have independent plastic type suspension (sorry if i’m wrong) do you need to replace those? What setup do u need to run offroad like yours?

Racer9
      Participant

what is so important about the alloy damper mount?

betty.k
      Participant

the plastic damper mounts break like raw noodles! when you break the stock one buy an alloy one first, don’t be tempted by the price of the plastic ones:8ball:

merc-blue
      Participant

lol learnt from experiences .. trent (well watching them break atleast)

Racer9
      Participant

how did you break them?

bithed
      Participant

…racer they arent a very clever design and they break very easily JUST by using them…i have heard stories of people NOT breaking them for a while but pretty much everyone snaps them quite quickly…the alloy damper mount is definately a must for your machine…

UNFORTUNATELY making that particular part alloy means you move the ‘stress of impact’ to another part of the machine…in THIS case the pillow ball mounts on top of the front servo case…Stregthen those however you would like and bing bang boom the stress shifts to the LARGER pillow ball at the front, the 5.8 UNDER the front servo case which holds your battery case now takes a beating…

…there ARE fixes around the place…be they alloy or carbon or big floppy chunks of glue, putty or old chewing gum…but the machine itself is LOTS of fun…its great for someone like me who is a crappy driver…Now i can just run into or over what i like and not have to woory so much 🙂

bithed
      Participant

anyway check out that auction i posted above…its a nice machine and i can get you oil shox for it if you would like some…BTW Aaron was the third bidder on it…lol…

z-beam
      Participant

pretty temting bithed! do the crystals and controller from a mini-z racer work with the beast?

bithed
      Participant

yup…exactly the same family…THATS why i didnt list it with thosse items in it…lol…go on…take a stab…:)

Racer9
      Participant

I wish you did so I could buy it. Damn

bithed
      Participant

no worries racer…ill cut you a deal on the controller of your choice and crystals to match 🙂

Racer9
      Participant

I wouldn’t care about the frequency or the controller as long as it is stock. BTW where do I order the alloy shock mount thingy? And would the milled balls help and how many would I need?

Edited by – Racer9 on 27 June 2004 01:55:58

bithed
      Participant

…I have a couple of sets of crystals set up ready to go…all KYOSHO…

…You have a choice of the EARLIER KT2 controller or the newer KT5 which actually COMES with the monster when you buy it…I personally prefer the KT2 but have since switched to a Sanwa Blazer which is all good and has a few more bits and bobs to it…BOTH the 2 AND the 5 are KYOSHO stock…

There are 12 places for milled balls and I have filled in all 12 with PanicToys ‘Slippery Nipples’…They are a LITTLE bit different to the KYOSHO ones but essentially the same thing…I use them on MY monster too so they are good for sure 🙂

…Alloy Shock Mount you can order from my mate Jo on the bay…he has some blue ones going now…

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2565&item=5905864815&rd=1

…or I can HIGHLY recommend Jason over at http://www.minizstore.com/

RE: alloy parts…I have set it up so you would look good with either blue OR silver which seem to be the biggest number of parts available right now…

…All you might want to pick up extra are oil shox and alloy dampers once you broke the stock ones 🙂

…Check it out anyway…its a pretty good deal…

Racer9
      Participant

Cool thanks! How much extra for the controller and crystals? I want the best controller available that came stock on it.

bithed
      Participant

…WRONG link for the damper mounts…try this one…

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2565&item=5906333233&rd=1

…controller and crystals together for 20 USD on TOP of the final price and NO change in shipping costs…SAME as they are listed in the auction…

…Crystal sets are 2 or 8 or 10…

bithed
      Participant

…the BEST controller is debateable…The % is the newer version but i prefer the driving feel AND the weight / size /feel of the earlier 2…

Racer9
      Participant

What do you guys reccomend?

dgs73
      Participant

the KT-2

Racer9
      Participant

one vote for KT-2
      anyone else?

TallduDe
      Participant

i like the newer one ive used the olds ones but i like the feel of the news better.

so vote 1 for kt-5

dgs73
      Participant

just to add reasoning to my answer; I like the fact the trottle and steering can be reversed if necessary… plus it feels more balanced

Racer9
      Participant

Do they look the same? Which has better reception? I am right handed so changin isn’t necessary.

dgs73
      Participant

i’ve heard differnt opinions, but I feel the KT-2 has the better reception, but i’d like a better opinion after trying both types with a stock aerial. Will have to do it one day…

Racer9
      Participant

yep

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.