mini Z or XMOD?

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      lots_of_lobsters
      Participant

hey all, im a bit man but im considerin buyin a mini z or xmod…whixh one is betta? i dont want anyting more than 200 bucks but i want decent parts too, like an xmod bodykit and motor for example…can anyone help? i dotn wanna have to go anyhwere to drive it…just on my (fairly bumpy) driveway and road..any ideas? any other rc cars that r my type-cheap and cool?

merc-blue
      Participant

ok heres the run down. the xmod may look good and have AWD but it take some work to keep it running and to make it fast. and also its a toy grade RC not a hobby grade if you want to go fast you need a fair bit of work on either and use non officila hop ups. and some unorthodox mods like the resistors if you run AWD xmods. the mini-z is a great car fantastic quality but a bit more pricy. i deffiently suggest the mini-z. the parts are widly avalible online and are top notch stuff. both need bearings straight away. the xmod the AWD is a suggestion even if it is just for the ball diff for the rear which is a good improvment on the crap it starts with and a ball diff for the mini-z is a good idea . also i suggest alloy wheel nuts (for both) and carbon h plates for a mini-z. also run a set of ni-mh batterys which willl give u more power more run time and cost less becasue you dont need to constantly buy batterys also the mini-z has some great bodys so dont buy the x-mod just for its body kits (which arent that great). to go fast both need a good/pricy motor. and the x mod need lots of work

TallduDe
      Participant

yeah merc made the point clear, but if your drive way is bumpy and your using it on roads maybe go for an overlander Z or a monster Z.

these handle ruff roads with ease :smiley2:

a racer both mini z or x-mod will find it hard due to lack of ground clearance.

but if you really want a racer then get a Z there faster then an x-mod straight out of the box and with the same money sent on hop ups the mini z is way faster!

plus it handles better and the autoscale bodies look better. :smiley16:

lots_of_lobsters
      Participant

hey wat about iwaver? theyre cheap…r they any good?

lots_of_lobsters
      Participant

oh yeh are overlandrs fast? coz i want a fast car, not a slow-ass one like my old tamiya corolla i have now…i want it to go fast…

peteWah
      Participant

Zar, you dont want to go anywhere special to race it and you want to pay less than 200 buckaroos for it…(fat chance for car + hopups)
      NO WAY SHOULD YOU_Run a Zs/Xmod on a bumpy surface…(NO FUN AT ALL)
      Get a 1/10 tamiya or a kyosho if you want to treat it like shit.
      thats my 2c.
      I suggest a Z but treat it nice…

peteWah
      Participant

i waver that you will probally get one… hah ha

betty.k
      Participant

overlands can go fast with upgrades and same with the madforce. if you’re willing to spend a little the team losi mini t is an impressive package, about $160usd. i think you need to buy batteries but it comes with essentials like bearings and nice shocks. and from what i can gather they take a beating too:8ball:

Tim
      Participant

lobster not too sure where you live but in Hobbyco in Sydney last time i visited there they had mini-z for $130 or $140 on special. If your budget is about $200 AUD, you can save money buying a z from there because you don’t need to pay for shipping and handling and etc. and with the money saved you can go buy parts~

kevsta
      Participant

More like $159 on special and they only have VWs.

For some strange reason they had this one only metallic blue ferrari 355 autoscale body the other day.

z-beam
      Participant

the mini-z i own was originally abused by its buyer by driving it to its max speed on driveways and gutters. a freind payed $50 for it after it got all beat up by the dude.

my mate ended up giving it to me cos it was in such bad shape. the motor mount,h-plate and motor case were all cracked. most of the screws were all stripped. the shell had been trashed, and the idiots had tried to limit damadge by attaching foamy stick on pads to the front and rear.

i’ve fixed it yesterday and added a few extra home made bits to it and it goes real well. i’m looking forward to finding a large and smooth enough surface to see how fast it really can go…

so the bottom line, a mini-z is NOT for lumpy cement and roads… but they sure are fast!!!!

lots_of_lobsters
      Participant

what about iwaver z? theyre a lot cheaper and they look good too…?

merc-blue
      Participant

i wavers are crap… overlands arent bad but are a bit pricy and monsters a super expensive. the losi mini-t is nice and there is also now the venom mini giant

Geo-Z
      Participant

Lobster are you the one on Burn.com forums? anyway,if your’re gonna race it on uneven road, a FET upgraded monster mini-z with high torque motor and alloy parts all over should suffice. Either that or a Team Losi Mini-T…..the flatter, on-road mini-z racers and Micro rs4s just don’t have enough ground clearence.

peteWah
      Participant

Try looking on ebay, I saw a Altesza in blue jap original in brown box for the small sum of $125.00 AUD
      but hey if thats not your go, there are mercs and corvettes there as readysets for $89+USD
      take your pick…
      There may even be some readysets that come bundled with bearings and X speed but these are a rarely come accross…
      And there are lots of hopups there at the moment aswell gpm & wfc mainly…
      So have a look and good luck with the Buy.

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh i saw that altresza un fortantuly it some guys with a palm runner trying to flog it as a mini-z

lots_of_lobsters
      Participant

so wat do u think overa;l is for me then? im not spendin over 200 for it and i wanna b able to use it on most roads, not havin to go to tracks…

betty.k
      Participant

i’d say get an iwaver and a set of wide wheels. then get one of these

img333x330prod8357.jpg

and make one of these

Happy%20snaps%2821%29.jpg

not even $100aud. then hang on to the other $100 and buy upgrades like bearings and shocks. but don’t spend it all at once, you won’t really know what to replace til it busts. and things will bust even with a kyosho so expect to do a secondary order:8ball:

lots_of_lobsters
      Participant

what about a OL? i can get one for 150 on ebay, but r they fast? i want a good fast car, not one that goes at snail pace…and about the iwaver…where can i get all that stuff?

betty.k
      Participant

i’ve built a whole new car around the iw electronics, so don’t look too closely at the details. a stock ol is slower than a stock z (or iw) as they have lower gearing. but high speed is a disadvantage offroad in my opinion. just remember a $150 ol will be really happy with a further $100 of upgrades. and parts will break/wear.
      so to keep within your limit of $200, buy a car that’s about $100 – 150 and keep the rest handy for the inevitable. and my iw needed 12 batteries before i got to see it go, they aint cheap. and they run out quick. if you want something that’s brilliant outta the box be prepared to spend that $200 more than once!:8ball:

chino
      Participant

i say xmod. i got one so i could race my friends w/ minizs and im not too rich. suprizingly a fet change and a good motor kan smoke Zs. and the servo kan take more hits tha a mini z servo. awd helps a whole lot on slick surfaces. drifts like a champ

http://img17.photobucket.com/albums/v51/chino925/

thas a link for pics of my cars and things ive been workin on. and if u get a chance check out my Xmodster. out proforms miniz monster anyday

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.