Miniz F1 fet install

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      aussiedanny
      Participant

Hi all first post for me after having my miniz F1 sitting on a shelf for the last year, its time to do a Fet install ,ive got a x-speed in it ,,copple of questions for ya
      how many Fets can i stack under the plastic shell of my Merc F1?
      do i have to remove the black box thing to get them in?
      im looking at those IRF7389 or the paired IRF4905 IRL3705 witch aaron is selling ,,witch is the easyer install?? i dont mind soldering and have all equip to do so ,,
      any other info is apprecited
      thanks in advance

leonli17
      Participant

Welcome to the boards aussiedanny.
      well, my suggestion will be a Turbo Installation. U can buy from shops which they have Capacitors on them helpin accleration.
      OR u can get people hand made ones which have the performance of a 2×9 stacked FETs. Just ask ph2t. It’s called “Woah Nelly Turbo”.
      Good Luck

aussiedanny
      Participant

thanks for the info ,,hmm the nelly turbo mod looks to mean for me just yet ,,im just after a simple no fuss hidden mod that will make the car go a bit faster ,,im leaning towards stacking the Fets at this stage ,, question when stacking the Fets should i space the Fets with anything eg: hot glue ,, thermal paste ,non conducting material etc ,, or should i just stack them together touching each other ,,, thanks

betty.k
      Participant

hiya danny! i don’t think you want to space the fets, but a little bit of glue to hold them together while soldering is a good idea. and if the nelly looks too mean then jamie kulhanek (creator of the 84kph miniz) can do a regular fet mod for you, or micro amps can fet mod anything in his sleep!:8ball:

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh very true … its not a hard thing to fet a mini-z with a 25W soldering iron and some common scence.. also 2 other things wecome 2 the forums aussiedanny and also congrats betty on the 900 posts

ken_wyleung
      Participant

I also have a F1, and I can but 6 for the G2 FET on it, and I can use PN SO1 motor on it. It is very fast..:D

SausaGe_LinK
      Participant

How do i take the stupid black box off, i cant install them with it there…

ken_wyleung
      Participant

Please do not remove the black box, it may make your PCB total loss; if you want to remove the FET, you can use cuter to cut on the Leg of FET, and them make it clean, install the new FET on it.
      And for the 1st, 2nd and 4th level of FETs are not hard to install. Do it slower, you can make it!

By the way, what FET you going to install?

aussiedanny
      Participant

update,, looking at the circuit board there are 4 Fets on the PCB, 2 at the front and 2 in the rear directly under the steel antenna mount witch has the black bock next to it ,,the 2 Fets at the front have several legs joined together ,witch Fets do i remove to place the new stacked ones ??heres a pic of the circuit board witch ones do i mod ??

firstpic showing the 2 front ones that are connected with wires
      2frontsmall.jpg
      Second pic showing the 2 rear ones under the antenna mount not much room there
      2rear.jpg

any info would be great im planing on using maybe the IRF7389

ken_wyleung
      Participant

If you want to power up your F1, you may have to remove the Rear FETs which is direct under the antenna, I know it is not much room, but it is not too hard to remove, if you use cuter to cut the legs, but that’s mean your 3004 FET gone. But it also the safe way to remove FET. Also, it not just for F-1 PCB, it is for all Kyosho Mini-Z. If you are in Melbourne, we may do together. Call me 0433171728.

aussiedanny
      Participant

if the rear ones are the thing ,then maybe i can cut 2/3rds of the antenna mount off and move the antenna mounting screw over that way that black bar wont be in the way ,,then i could stack the Fets as high as the mount was ,,is the mount used to stablise the car in any way as a chassis brace??or is it used to just hold the antenna? thanks for the offer Ken ill give ya a bell if i need to !!

ken_wyleung
      Participant
      Quote:
      if the rear ones are the thing ,then maybe i can cut 2/3rds of the antenna mount off and move the antenna mounting screw over that way that black bar wont be in the way ,,then i could stack the Fets as high as the mount was ,,is the mount used to stablise the car in any way as a chassis brace??or is it used to just hold the antenna? thanks for the offer Ken ill give ya a bell if i need to !!

That is OK, call me when you need, and I hope we can play F1 together.:D
      By the way, where do you get your FET, and how much you pay for them.:smiley16:

aussiedanny
      Participant

Hi Ken havent got the Fets yet,,can you confirm something for me with your F1 ?i have another Question about the 2 front Fets that have the red and black wires soldered to them ,, the chip that has the black wires has the black wires going across 3 pins ,,,the chip that has the Red wire looks like they go across three pins but i carnt tell ,,looks like a bad Kyosho soldering job ,,the car still works like this but i want to know if this is what it should look like,should the Red wire go across the 3 pins or just to one or 2 ,, heres a pic

frontfets.jpg

Edited by – aussiedanny on 16 May 2004 22:08:56

ph2t
      Participant

dude, the fets in the above picture control the steering motor servo. All the pins on the outer side are connected together internaly anyway, they are designed this way to move high currents..

Ken & danny, use the IRF7389 fets for this install. I suggest you check out ausmicro’s 7389 MOSFET packs on ebay, Aaron has the best prices. Links are available on the home page, http://www.ausmicro.com

the rear fets under the antenna mount are the fets you must replace. DON’T stack your new IRF7389 fets on top of the stock 3004 fets. This reduces the performance of the newer fets, trust me. I would reccomend a minimum of a 4 stack of fets. Anything less can be blown by a hot motor, easily!

ph2t.

ken_wyleung
      Participant
      Quote:
      Hi Ken havent got the Fets yet,,can you confirm something for me with your F1 ?i have another Question about the 2 front Fets that have the red and black wires soldered to them ,, the chip that has the black wires has the black wires going across 3 pins ,,,the chip that has the Red wire looks like they go across three pins but i carnt tell ,,looks like a bad Kyosho soldering job ,,the car still works like this but i want to know if this is what it should look like,should the Red wire go across the 3 pins or just to one or 2 ,, heres a pic

frontfets.jpg

Edited by – aussiedanny on 16 May 2004 22:08:56

It is not a matter, for that two fets, which are for the servo motor, you can connect it with any one or two or three or all pin, it still working.:smiley2:

Edited by – ken_wyleung on 16 May 2004 22:43:41

ph2t
      Participant

that’s right, you don’t need to mod/stack the steering motor fets, you can leave them stock.

geez, look at that! 20 seconds, hah!

ph2t.

ken_wyleung
      Participant
      Quote:
      Hi all first post for me after having my miniz F1 sitting on a shelf for the last year, its time to do a Fet install ,ive got a x-speed in it ,,copple of questions for ya
      how many Fets can i stack under the plastic shell of my Merc F1?
      do i have to remove the black box thing to get them in?
      im looking at those IRF7389 or the paired IRF4905 IRL3705 witch aaron is selling ,,witch is the easyer install?? i dont mind soldering and have all equip to do so ,,
      any other info is apprecited
      thanks in advance

By the way, what motor you going to put on F-1?:D
      If you can not get your FET, you may try G2, it also very good.:smiley2:

aussiedanny
      Participant

Hmm whats the G2?? easy to put in ??any problems?? everything still work as it should??

ken_wyleung
      Participant
      Quote:
      Hmm whats the G2?? easy to put in ??any problems?? everything still work as it should??

It is the FET from HK Mini-Z track, it is same as other FET.
      This is the support of the FET:
      2×1 – all no request motor
      2×2 – all no request motor
      2×3 – toubo request motor
      2×4 – All motor

most of my Mini-Z using it.:D

aussiedanny
      Participant

looks like i could do a stack of 3 x 2 without cutting the body out ,, pictures here have a 6 x 2 stack with the Fets coming out of the shell ,,hmm i dont want to cut that nice pretty body ,,, look here any ideas ??
      http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/fet

Edited by – aussiedanny on 17 May 2004 13:11:27

ken_wyleung
      Participant
      Quote:
      looks like i could do a stack of 3 x 2 without cutting the body out ,, pictures here have a 6 x 2 stack with the Fets coming out of the shell ,,hmm i dont want to cut that nice pretty body ,,, look here any ideas ??
      http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/fet

Edited by – aussiedanny on 17 May 2004 13:11:27

What motor are you going to use for your F1?:)

aussiedanny
      Participant

hmm ive got the xspeed in it now ,,aaron says that a 2×2 stack would be fine for a xspeed ,,also looks like to due to the hight restriction cause i dont want to stack them 2 high just yet and cut out the body,, later on i guess ill put something befier in it ,,did you have to mod your f1 shell to get the Fets to fit??how many did you put in the F1?? any pics ??

ken_wyleung
      Participant
      Quote:
      hmm ive got the xspeed in it now ,,aaron says that a 2×2 stack would be fine for a xspeed ,,also looks like to due to the hight restriction cause i dont want to stack them 2 high just yet and cut out the body,, later on i guess ill put something befier in it ,,did you have to mod your f1 shell to get the Fets to fit??how many did you put in the F1?? any pics ??

I have not cut my F-1 body, I was put 3×2 G2 FET on it, it also fine. But I remove them, and just 1×2 FET now, and it is very fast too. It is upto 36km/h now. Because I think higher speed may not make me have a better lap time, and the best lap time may not make me to win the race. Most inportant thing is control, car and driver.:D

brycevr
      Participant

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I have just re-investigated Mini R/C and have dragged out all of the old cars and am purchasing new ones and parts at a great rate. I’m running an F1 with bearings, Speedy05 and a ball diff. The secret to F1’s is obviously the handling so I have polished the king pins (it helped) I intend to go LiPo as nearly all my other R/C is Lipo so, how many of what FET do I need without going insane? The car is very good now but I would feel better if I did the mod before blowing something up and finding out after that I should have put some FETs in. Will the FET’s on their own change the speed characteristics?
      The only other thing I intend to do with this car is to put on an Alloy/carbon bumper and do hundreds of practice laps.

klims
      Participant

unlikely you will notice a speed difference with fets. well i guess it depends on how you drive. the stock fets tend to heat up and get very inefficient after a while, so with your current mods the only difference you will probably see is no lag after a while of driving. it will go hard till the batteries dump.
      as for LiPos you will definitely need and external turbo. if possible get one with mosfet drivers, but something like the current spider will be fine.

brycevr
      Participant

Will a Turbo fit without ruining that beautiful F1 body?

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.