MINIZ PCB ON/OFF switch

Viewing 42 reply threads
  • Author
      mocky
      Participant

mine is stuffed up do im look for a switch that will fit. get 2 if possible cos talldude needs one too.

merc-blue
      Participant

umm hard to find swiches that size.. jaycar/DSE probly wont have small enough try some micro Rc sites like http://www.homefly.com and http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/

mocky
      Participant

thanks merc, think we found ourselves some pcb switches 😀

betty.k
      Participant

i used the switch from an enertec micro charger! one important thing, is this a z or an iwaver? if it’s a z, the switch only controls power to the reciever curcuit. but if it’s an i waver the switch is also part of the drive curcuit, which means there’s more current flowing through it. i had a stock i waver switch blow out completely, melty goo and all!:8ball:

mocky
      Participant

im using a iwaver, will it still work?

betty.k
      Participant

any switch will work, but really crappy ones will fail under high current.i’ve got my nelly wired directly to the battery terminals and made it so the switch is not part of the drive curcuit:8ball:

mocky
      Participant

im using a iwaver, will it still work?

betty.k
      Participant

well i’m lost now. what are you talking about?:8ball:

TallduDe
      Participant

so you got to rewire the switch if your using a turbo on an iwaver. what a hassle man

could you show us how betty? getting the switch is ezy but not blowing it up will be hard!

merc-blue
      Participant

nah what hes saying the the way nelly works is it takes the switch out of the drive circut.. but the stock setup all the current passes through the switch so get a high current rated switch other than that get a nelly

betty.k
      Participant

basically i wired up the batteries the same as in a z. you’ll notice in your iw that the power comes from the top 2 battery terminals, and the switch is attached to the bottom 2. i bridged the top terminals with some wire and use the bottom 2 as the power terminals. (the ones held in place with those 2 long screws) from these power terminals i now have 2 sets of power leads. one set goes straight into nelly, no switch involved. the second set goes into the pcb with the switch on the red + wire going to the pcb.

previously the switch was on the bottom 2 terminals and therefore was part of the battery curcuit.:8ball:

mocky
      Participant

sorry i double posted b4 damn damn optus net. how would u wire a stock iwaver up?

betty.k
      Participant

a stock iwaver setup has the switch connected to the bottom 2 terminals (the ones held in place with the long screws) and the top 2 go to the pcb.:8ball:

mocky
      Participant

hehehehe, so its a simple swap with a replacement switch on a stock iwaver 😀

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh yeh.. but if the new swich cant handle the current it will blow

Tim
      Participant

hahah that would be incredibly funny if Talldude or one of your car blowsblackeye:blackeye:. Merc by blowing do u mean actually explosion or just smoke and melting the chasis?

merc-blue
      Participant

just melting and stuff but u never know i have seen flames in 1:10s that have “blow” escs

kitsune
      Participant

I’ve had a look at how the Iwaver’s wired up and If I’d designed it I’d be ashamed, then again I tend to belive in there not being such a thing as too much over kill 🙂 I don’t know how the mini-z compares but I’m planing to re do the whole thing. firstly to get rid of the poor contacts with the batteries I’ll build some battery packs using tagged 800mAh NiMH batteries and get rid of the contacts used in the Iwaver, Mini power connectors will connect the batteries to the rest of the car’s electronics (using heavier guage wire too) via a plug in connector, wanna turn the car off – unplug the battery pack, yep it means I’ll have to use a multi cell charger rather than a standard one, but I can live with that. (might even use it as an excuse to go to 5 cells) the connector that the battery pack will plug into will run two sets of the thick wire, one to the PCB and the other to what ever fets I use to control the motor then more thick wire directly to the motor.

so to look at a summary of changes
      out goes the metal against metal contacts at the batteries and on the wires running to the switch – replaced by soldered joins

out goes the switch with who knows how low a Amp rating to be replaced with a connector rating unknown but should be much better than the switch.

out goes the thin wire that breaks all to often near the joins to be replaced with thicker lower resistance wire.

now all I need is a good set of fets and I’ll be able to take advantage of this upgrade.

merc-blue
      Participant

sounds good man tell us how it goes.. hard wired batterys with a plug a good idea u lose on of the highest resistance parts on the car

mocky
      Participant

betty k where can i get this switch, i dont even noe where to start looking, im in syd btw. if u can point me where to get em , would be sweeeeeeeeeet,:smiley16:

betty.k
      Participant

no idea where to buy them, i just canibalise other things for switches:8ball:

bithed
      Participant

mocky email me your address and it will fly with me on monday..

bithed
      Participant

dgs73
      Participant
      Quote:

WHAT?!?!?:shock:…

dgs73
      Participant
      Quote:

WHAT?!?!?:shock:…

bithed
      Participant

…yes D you are flying too no worries 🙂 Im not flying TO aus. but to NZ which is close enuff 🙂

bithed
      Participant

…yes D you are flying too no worries 🙂 Im not flying TO aus. but to NZ which is close enuff 🙂

dgs73
      Participant

and here I was getting all excited too…blackeye::smiley2:

dgs73
      Participant

and here I was getting all excited too…blackeye::smiley2:

bithed
      Participant

…dave i will be SO close you can probably smell me…lol…mail a contact phone # to my phone and i will see if i cant call you 😉

bithed
      Participant

…dave i will be SO close you can probably smell me…lol…mail a contact phone # to my phone and i will see if i cant call you 😉

dgs73
      Participant

I was about to sggest that… hows the weather over there now? You’re nowhere near the flooding, I hope? PM on da way…:D

dgs73
      Participant

I was about to sggest that… hows the weather over there now? You’re nowhere near the flooding, I hope? PM on da way…:D

bithed
      Participant

its 830am…leaving for NZ @ 6pm too night…arrive NZ following morning…its raining here today after a couple of 40 degree days…NZ is wet and flooded…

bithed
      Participant

its 830am…leaving for NZ @ 6pm too night…arrive NZ following morning…its raining here today after a couple of 40 degree days…NZ is wet and flooded…

dgs73
      Participant

so you’re not there yet? (duh!) Warm rain too, eh? That’d have to suck…

dgs73
      Participant

so you’re not there yet? (duh!) Warm rain too, eh? That’d have to suck…

bithed
      Participant

..i aint nowhere yet…gaher at school @ 12..leave @ 1…flight leaves 6pm…arrives 8am local time..doods i gotta get ready to fly so inm off ok…stay frosty 🙂

bithed
      Participant

..i aint nowhere yet…gaher at school @ 12..leave @ 1…flight leaves 6pm…arrives 8am local time..doods i gotta get ready to fly so inm off ok…stay frosty 🙂

dgs73
      Participant

so now how’s the weather dood? Did you get that ph.#, by the way?

dgs73
      Participant

so now how’s the weather dood? Did you get that ph.#, by the way?

dgs73
      Participant
      Quote:

all got here today mate… cheers. And I think I wont run out of the gum till about November. Strewth, there’s like 15 packs!!
      Mocky; sorry for taking over your topic, buddy…:)

dgs73
      Participant
      Quote:

all got here today mate… cheers. And I think I wont run out of the gum till about November. Strewth, there’s like 15 packs!!
      Mocky; sorry for taking over your topic, buddy…:)

Viewing 42 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.