motor can clamping

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      klims
      Participant

Hey guys,

Over the past few months i’ve been getting into building my own motors for my mini z. i have been using the bb cans and brushes from the ausmicro shop and various armatures. i have noticed that on some of the motors while bending in the tabs to hold in the end cap i have managed to ben the tabs so that somehow they place too much pressure on the cap which seems to make the motor spin slower. I have been using a screw driver to start it off and then clamping it down with plyers.

does anyone have a reliable method of pressing down the tabs that doesn’t place pressure on the end cap but holds it so there is no movement?

Andrew.

kevsta
      Participant

I think the problem you are experiencing is binding of the armature. To free up the bind you will need to remove the spacer from the top of the commutator or from the bottom of the armature.

klims
      Participant

nah its definitely not that. i can see the bb can deform as i squeeze in the tabs.

the reason i think its the tabs is because while i was running in a motor i tried sqeezing the tob of the can to get it back into shape and the speed increased noticibly.

kevsta
      Participant

Sorry, I misunderstood what your explanation. I haven’t noticed flexing of the can in any of my motors when pushing the tabs in.

klims
      Participant

ok thats a start.

maybe you can tell me how you bend in new tabs? does the end cap even move during use?

kevsta
      Participant

I place my thumb over the end cap to hold it securely to the can and use a small flat head screw driver to press the tabs in the secure it in place.

The end cap doesn’t move at all during use as the two tabs hold it securely down.

klims
      Participant

yeah thats how i started off, then i got a little excessive and started getting into em with the plyers to stop the end cap moving. thats the only time i ever had that problem.

thanks for the help kevsta

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.