motor – how many turns?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

heya ppl,

I m soon going attempt at handwinding my own motor, so since its my first time I ve got some questions to ask. 🙂

Could anybody tell me how many turns can the fets(6×2 and 5×2, IRF7389) take on a regular FA130, stock armature, around 30 gauge wire? Using 4x800mah NiMH batts.

Would there be any formulas to calculate the amount of power drawn to the motor with the certain amount of turns and gauge size?

Just to confirm, from my knowledge, the magnets dont make a difference to the amount of power drawn as that is determined by the number of turns on the arm. Am I right?

thanks

jamiekulhanek
      Participant
      Quote:
      heya ppl,

I’m soon going attempt at handwinding my own motor, so since its my first time I’ve got some questions to ask. 🙂

Could anybody tell me how many turns can the fets(6×2 and 5×2, IRF7389) take on a regular FA130, stock armature, around 30 gauge wire? Using 4x800mah NiMH batts.

Would there be any formulas to calculate the amount of power drawn to the motor with the certain amount of turns and gauge size?

Just to confirm, from my knowledge, the magnets dont make a difference to the amount of power drawn as that is determined by the number of turns on the arm. Am I right?

thanks

First i ask, what motor are you using as the donor, unless it is something like the plasma dash’s guts it just won’t cope (believe me i have tried). Anything below about 35 turns and the motor will shit itself to death.

The type and quality of the magnets makes a big difference to power draw, i.e. if you add Neodymium magnets current draw will increase many times over.

As for the rest i am really not sure, i *think* a 6×2 stack will handle down to 20 turns or so, but am not quite sure.

A really simple way of getting more power is to run 5 cells.

I guess for the formula you could use I=Current V=Volts R=Resistance

R=V/I. You might want to check with micro amps, cause i cant really remember.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Thats Ohms law, looks correct.
      :)uA

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Basically you need to choose whether to use 4 or 5 cells, the current draw, stick them in the above equation and work out the resistance.

You can determine the motor power output by P=VI
      (Power in watts). Halve this number and you will get the maximum power at the motor shaft, as motors are around 50% efficient at max power.

I used this formula to determine that my Plasma Dash motor develops around 30 watts of power.

Waht fets are you using BTW?? i recommend a 6×2 stack.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.