My 1st Custom paint job.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      diehard
      Participant

Well i had try my hand at a custom paint job. i used all Tamiya rattle cans, and i must say im pretty happy with the results. i got 2 MR01 white bodies to paint, a nsx and a r34 skyline, so i tried the nsx 1st and masking the thing up for the white lines was a ball breaker.
      i also wanted to mask up the bumpers to paint them black but i just couldn’t do it. Im not to happy that i could mask up the bumpers and skirts cause it would have looked allot more better with them in black. so here it is.
      i used some cheap masking tape my dad had and the paint kinda leaked under it a bit so on the next body im gonna buy the blue 3m tape.
      Now i wonna try to get some stickers for it.

Im looking for some ideas for the R34………….anyone????

diehard

Admin
      Participant

Looks Good for your first better then my first! Keep up the good work :laser:

klims
      Participant

nice job man. i can see how it may have been a bitch to tape it up. the windows look pretty detailed.

as for the r34 you should do a fast and the furious rip. might be even harder to mask up lightning though…

betty.k
      Participant

i think it looks great! nice colours and scheme;)

i once did a flame job on an nsx body, i believe you when you say it was a bitch to mask!:D :8ball:

diehard
      Participant

thanks guy, does anyone even bother with side mirrors, cause i cbf….lol
      hey betty.k got any pics i can see… looking for sum ideas for my next job.

and would it be stupid to paint the skirts and bumpers with a brush, i really want these to be black

PandaBear
      Participant

If you want to strip the paint off without damaging the white plastic, just spray EasyOff Oven Cleaner (RED can, must use the caustic one) and wait a few hours – the paint will come off. Reapply if necessary.

Do it in good ventilation, don’t get any caustic stuff on your skin etc etc.

PandaBear
      Participant

@diehard 225763 wrote:

and would it be stupid to paint the skirts and bumpers with a brush, i really want these to be black

buy the Tamiya “X” bottle paints, they work great brushed
      especially SemiGloss Black and Flat black.

betty.k
      Participant

some of my 1:28 paintjobs are here:
      http://www.ausmicro.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=3

definately fork out for a quality masking tape, i bought a roll of the fancy yellow tamiya stuff and never had any bleed using it. :8ball:

PandaBear
      Participant

@betty.k 225769 wrote:

definately fork out for a quality masking tape, i bought a roll of the fancy yellow tamiya stuff and never had any bleed using it.

I use Tamiya tape too, its great for lines & its very flexible.

However there are occasions with TS paints that the solvent soaks into
      the tape and it dulls the earlier paint layer &/or rearranges the particle flake
      if its metallic… pretty annoying.

To avoid use double layer & take it off quick, or cover with another tape.
      Just leave the edges exposed as its so clean.

I paint more with PS (polycarbonate) anyways and it doesn’t happen there.
      hahah NoTHING will take off PS paint…

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

to remove PS paint, try a citrus based foaming degreaser, let soak for a while 😉

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.